69 Tail light mod - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 14, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Howard

69 Tail light mod

My car is pretty much stock and I'm not interested in the LED tail lamps. I was thinking about a change to my stock 69 tail light wiring though. My idea was to replace the center most tail light socket with the dual filament sockets that the outer lights use. Then I would splice the directional/brake light wire to the center lights. That would make both the inner and outer lights work the same. The center reverse light would not be changed.

My thinking is that it would make my brake lights and turn signals easier to see. I've been driving a lot more lately and it's scary how little other drivers pay attention. I thought this would sort of overcome the lack of a third brake light and would appear original to most people.

I'm sure there's something wrong with this plan that I'm not considering so I thought I would run it by you guys before I do something dumb. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 14, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech
gary

Re: 69 Tail light mod

I was thinking of doing the same, and got a pair of sockets from an old harness. I have a concern about possibly overloading the existing wiring and switches, as the current would double. I have delayed the change for that reason.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

'69 Camaro - 383 SBC w/ 440 hp, Crossram Dual-quad w/ Holley HP EFI, Tremec TKO, Ridetech Coilover Suspension w/TruTurn, Billet-Specialties Draft 18x9, 18x12, BFG KDW 275/335
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 14, 10:11 AM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

I did the change that you are talking about probably 10 years ago. The original lighting looked uneven to me when the outside light worked with the brake/turn and the inside did not. Kinda looked like the inside lights had a burnt out filament. I've heard of guys that during a safety inspection would have to show the inspector that the inside lights weren't wired for turn/brake. I thought that I might need to upgrade the flasher but everything worked as normal. I say go for it.

Jim's '69
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 14, 10:32 AM
Kevin

The 69 RS harness was built just this way, both inside and outside lights were dual filament. No harm in doing this mod. Just find yourself a brown dual contact socket and replace the inner white one, you just have to splice in the brake light line to the existing outside socket. Luck!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 14, 12:38 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Since you are concerned with safety while driving your Camaro...get the LED's (not the bulb, but the ones like Digitails use)
They are super bright
I'm really glad I did.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 14, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Howard

Thanks for the responses. I think I'll give it a shot. Oreily's has the sockets in stock for $6 so I should be able to get it done in the next day or so. I was a little concerned about overloading the brake/turn wire too but I figure they aren't constant voltage and I could always go to lower wattage LED bulbs.

I will put in a quick connect in case I need to switch them back to stock for any reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode