Interior lights won't shut off? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 14, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Larry

Send a message via AIM to Pentagon Larry
Interior lights won't shut off?

Hello,

Can anyone help with a solution for my interior lights that won't shut off. I have a 68 convertible and the two lights that are at the bottom of the dash around the driver and passengers feet won't shut off. I recently had new interior and carpet replaced. I also had the little chrome rings on the dash knobs replaced and I hear there can sometimes be grounding problems. Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 14, 06:42 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Re: Interior lights won't shut off?

Probably a sticky door jamb switch. Push it is with your finger while door is open and do the same for the passenger side.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 14, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech
George

Also check to see that the headlight knob is not turned all the way ccw into the notch as this will keep them on also.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 14, 12:29 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Check that one the plastic bulb sockets hasn't become unclipped from the metal bracket. When this happens the side of the bulb base grounds itself on the bracket and your lights stay on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 14, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Larry

Send a message via AIM to Pentagon Larry

I checked both door jam switches and when both are pushed in, the lights stay on. I checked both light bulbs and they are fully in place? Now what can it be?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 14, 03:37 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

If you checked the headlight switch interior dimmer switch location and turned it counter clockwise past the click of full clockwise and you still have lights then the lead at one of the door jams is likely off the jam switch and grounding to the body. Those lights have power to the jam switch all the time and the switch grounds to light.

Remove both from the door jams and as soon as then come out they will lose ground if wired correctly, and if the lead is not attached or one and the lights are still on you found the ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 14, 08:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentagon Larry View Post
I recently had new interior and carpet replaced.
It's possible that one of the screws in the door sill scuff plate was driven into the white wire in the interior light circuit. When the white wire is grounded the light comes on. The dome light wires run under the carpet on the drivers side. That's where I would look.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 14, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I agree with "69-Pace". Check for a wire off on one of the door jamb switches. Been there done that.

Dave

68RS/SS Convertible L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode