68 parking lights...no bracket!! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 14, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

68 parking lights...no bracket!!

I'm pretty sure my car was born-again for the ashes of multiple junkyard wrecks. For the most part, it's a 68. The lower valence has cutouts for parking lights, as well as the parking lights in the grill.

I ordered 68 RS parking lights, but it looks like a bracket is needed for install.

Problem is...no brackets on the valence. I assume I have a 67 lower valence.

Can I just buy the 67 parking light brackets for a smooth install?

It looks like there's a gap around the light...I expected a snug fit. Will I have to order a new set of 67 lights? I.e. Are the 67 lights bigger?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 14, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Re: 68 parking lights...no bracket!!

Are you converting to a RS, then removing the Parking lights in the grille?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 14, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Eventually...maybe...we'll see.

I'm one of the few (it seems) that don't prefer the hideaway look. The holes in the valence seem like they should be filled with something. Not sure if I'll like the look of both grill and valence lights, but thought what the heck?

I'll need a new grill as mine is in rough shape. No hurry though. If I dig the valence lights, I'll hopefully find a grill without parking lights.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 14, 08:03 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Those openings in the valence don't look factory. There is no difference between 67 and 68 other than the housing had a chrome border in 67. Measure the opening, it should be 3.25" wide by 2.75" high.

For reference:

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 14, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Mine are 3-3/8" by 2-15/16" (ish). The metal doesn't look cut away (like a hack job). The openings have smooth, rounded, rolled back edges like every other opening.

Is there another year/model that used a similar valence with different size parking lamps? 69? Firebird? Nova?

I mentioned before that this car was probably pieced together from at least one wreck.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 04:55 AM
Senior Tech
J.R.

Garage

You mentioned that you didn't really like the RS headlights. Why not consider mocking something up to install fog lights or small road lights/projectors in those locations? That would be different and serve a good purpose at the same time. Run them to a fused switch. You might even get the factory style housings to work for this purpose with some thought and planning. Just a thought. And I agree, the opening areas look like they were factory stamped.
J.R.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 09:54 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

If you like the look of the non RS...exposed headlights, why don't you just buy a non-RS lower valence. Their not that expensive, & are easy to install. Looks like your 68 is not painted yet, so it's an easy fix.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 10:53 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

I see you have a plain Jane Camaro grille. It has your parking lights mounted in the grille. Someone has installed a RS front valance panel instead of a standard valance panel. Here is the RS parking lights for a 68 Camaro. http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...ly-Sport-1968/ Here is the 67 Camaro RS parking lights http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...ly-sport-1967/ These are the brackets for the 67 parking lights. http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...brackets-1967/ It looks as if you have a 1967 RS lower front valance with 1968 RS parking lights mounted. Unless you are going to spend over $1000 for the RS headlight kit and RS grille I would get the 1968 standard lower valance. You will also have to have the RS fender brackets welded to your fenders.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Cdminter- how do you know it's a 67 valance (vs a '68)? Also, I don't understand your last comment, "You will also have to have the RS fender brackets welded to your fenders."

I'd like to keep the parking lights both in the grill and the valance. I understand the RS parking lights are different between 67&68. The 68 has a bracket attached, where the 67 needs a separate bracket. Where I'm still getting lost is the lenses are sold for both the 67&68:

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...air-1967-1968/

The same lens size tells me the holes in the valence should be the same size between the years. Whether I have a 67 or 68 valance, I would expect the lenses to fit perfectly.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 14, 07:57 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

On the 67, that lens is inside the parking lamp housing. On the 68 just the lens is the only thing going through the valance. So it stands to reason the opening of the 67 would need to be larger for the housing and the len and the opening on 68 only needs to be large enough for the lens.

You notice HBC sells two different RS valances for 67s and 68s.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucher421 View Post
Cdminter- how do you know it's a 67 valance (vs a '68)? Also, I don't understand your last comment, "You will also have to have the RS fender brackets welded to your fenders."
An RS headlamp bucket outboard bracket/mounting ears are further back into the fender than a std fender h/lamp bucket.

Also, the bumper corner brackets are swapped per side and upside down.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucher421 View Post
The same lens size tells me the holes in the valence should be the same size between the years. Whether I have a 67 or 68 valance, I would expect the lenses to fit perfectly.
The lenses are the same. But, the 67 also has a metal housing with a chrome rim and a gasket that has to fit through the hole in the valence. The 68 hole only has to be big enough for the lens to fit through while the 67 has to fit the whole pot metal housing.

1967 housing

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 12:51 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Why do you want to keep parking lights in both the grill & valence? How do you plan to wire them up..blinkers, etc may not function correctly?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 14, 01:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I'd try to find something else to fill the hole like a fog light or maybe, just maybe fab up a brake duct... Make it functional or weld it closed.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode