Condensor on my heater fan power wire ??? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 14, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Victor

Condensor on my heater fan power wire ???

Hi Folks....I am new to this so here goes. I have a nice little 67 327 camaro with the bench seat option, and NO air. I have only had it since April and I just noticed while looking under the hood that the power wire that goes to the heater fan motor has what looks like a distributor condenser in the wire. It is mounted down at the lower part of the fire wall on the passenger side, and has a small ground strap underneath the bolt that holds it in place. Does anybody know what I am talking about. It had to be put on at the factory from the looks of it. I tried to upload a picture but it wouldn't let me.... I just am wondering what this thing is ?????
Thank you and may GOD Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 14, 02:29 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: Condensor on my heater fan power wire ???

I believe it was/is for noise suppression (for AM radio like the one on the voltage regulator and/or ignition coil). I've seen plenty of first generation Camaro's with them and plenty without so I'm not sure what determined which cars rolled off the production lines with or without them.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 14, 05:32 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yes Scott, AM radios were subject to tons of unwanted noise from motors and points style ignition. Some of us are from a period where it is fondly remembered, others as an annoyance.

I believe any optional AM radio set triggered the addition of the noise suppression package. Vehicles without radios and there were a ton of those, did not come factory equipped with them, but aftermarket radios started building in filters to reduce noise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 14, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Victor

Thanks a lot fellas.....I am wondering since the car has a different stereo (even though I have the original 'AM' one in the trunk) if I should bypass this thing since the rubber plug on the power wire (that goes to this little gizmo)will plug right onto the heater fan. I am also wondering about weather or not this gizmo could be a fire hazard since it is so old, and the fact that positive power goes through it, and it is grounded right to a small ground strap. If anything went wrong inside it I am sure it would pop the fuse....BUT... I already spliced about a 5 inch piece of wire from the orange wire that goes to it because it looked like at some point it had gotten hot and melted a little bit about a foot away from where it connects to this thing. It may have gotten a little melted because of the way it was just hanging near the exhaust manifold.
Would it be alright to just run the orange power wire to the heater fan is what I am trying to figure out.
Also....it has a 25 amp fuse for this orange heater fan power wire at the fuse block. Is that the right amp fuse, or should it be a less amp fuse.
Thank you all for your time..I would love to show some pics of this...Thanks again and may GOD Bless you....vic.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 14, 05:22 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Couple options come to mind Vic. You can buy a reproduction set if you are intending to use the original radio, or the original can be rebuilt with modern circuity that includes built in noise reduction, or buy a new reproduction radio with new features such as usb and ipod connections and old factory style.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 14, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Victor

Thanks a lot fellas.....my question is can I bypass this noise suppressor and plug the power directly onto the heater fan, and the other question is what size fuse should be in the fuse block for the heater fan ?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 14, 04:19 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Brian, thanks for the answer, I'm very familiar with AM (amplitude modulation) noise, I just didn't know the blower motor for the heater was ever included in the list of the items that the General (and perhaps other auto manufacturers) took steps to suppress. Back in the early 90's I earned my private pilots license and most of the communications equipment in general aviation aircraft was/is AM based.

Vic, my answer to one of your two questions would be yes, you can safely eliminate the condenser/capacitor/noise suppressor with the only side effect being that it may allow electrical noise that could be picked up by nearby electronics when the heater blower motor is running. If it were me, I'd leave it as long as the melted insulation on the wire has been dealt with as I don't see it being any significant threat or danger.

As to the fuse rating, I don't know that off the top of my head, but I do know that the blower motor is one of the higher amperage drawing electronic items in our first generation Camaros so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was a 25 amp fuse.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode