68 lost electrical power while driving - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 14, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Vick

68 lost electrical power while driving

68 camaro
350 - nothing special
Stick shift
New battery - got it in february

Hi guys,

over the last weekend I adjusted the timing and the carburetor on the car.
I took it this weekend to the market and while driving I lost all electrical power. When I tried to start the engine, the red light was on, but it didn't crank the engine. I disconnected the battery, connected back and the car started right up. I was told the terminal was loose so I tightened it and drove home for about a mile.

Today I reconnected the battery and tightened the terminals. I drove from one store to another and than to my brother's place. All together would be around 10 miles. 10 minutes later I took my car for ride with my friend. I was driving at 50mph when I pushed the clutch in, pressed the brake pedal /was braking hard/ and the car lost electrical power. I managed to turn into an alley. It was completely dead. The terminals were tight, but after awhile I managed to take it off. As soon as I reconnected the lights came back and the car started without any issues. I just drove for another 2 minutes and parked it. Twenty minutes later i took the car back home /6 miles/ and I was fine.

What do you think my car might be experiencing??? I'm clueless. All the cables from and to the battery are tight. While the car was running I tried to twist the cables just to make sure they are okay, it all checked out. Also for the car to get it's power back it needs to be disconnected from the battery and than reconnected again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 14, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: 68 lost electrical power while driving

Suggest the following:
1. Remove battery cables and clean posts and clamps with battery terminal cleaner - wire brush. Clean neg cable end at engine block.
2. Junction block next to battery - follow positive pigtail to the block.
remove terminals, wire brush and reattach.
3. Horn relay buss bar - same as #2.
4. Alternator BATT stud - same as #2.

Idle rpm set correctly?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 14, 03:49 AM
Kevin

Check the pigtail connections from the battery to fender (neg) and from battery to firewall (pos). Then check the wires leading to the horn relay. Make sure you check for corroded/loose connections. The chassis is powered by those two small leads. Only the starter uses the big cables.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 14, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Vick

Thank you guys. Will look at it over the weekend and will report back to you :-)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech
George

Could a bad or overheating voltage regulator cause this?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 01:47 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

The VR regulates charge going to the storage not the distribution of stored power in the "Energizer" aka battery. There seems to be a disconnect in the path from the battery to his ignition since he has no crank but has accessories.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Sep 9th, 14 at 02:37 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 02:17 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Send a message via MSN to kausboy

Almost sounds like a fusible link issue. There isn't a circuit breaker in the ignition system anywhere, is there? Definitely a disconnect in the ignition somewhere. Perhaps a bad solenoid or ignition switch??
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 14, 02:41 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I'm not sure if he has accessory power in the passenger compartment or not when it dies. If not I would suspect the bulkhead connector, or the main splice at the Horn Relay bus-bar. Not sure if he has tried to jump the starter with a screwdriver and also jump the starter solenoid to see if power is getting there. There are two or three threads with similar issues going right now.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode