How accurate our your gas guages? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 14, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

How accurate our your gas guages?

I have a 68 with in dash gas gauge. I had issues with it that with the help of the forum I think I worked out. I pulled the dash and verified the gauge responded as expected when shorted. I tightened and added another ground to the dash pack just because while I was in there. I then found the ground at the harness and the tank and ground them clean and reattached. Seems to be working fine but maybe by my mileage calculation about 1/8 to /1/4 tank off. Is this about as accurate as it should be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 14, 02:57 PM
Tech Team
Guilton

Re: How accurate our your gas guages?

My stock 67 fuel gauge would go way past full BUT If it was on E you better be "At the gas station" and not "On the way there"!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 14, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlotHP68 View Post
I have a 68 with in dash gas gauge. I had issues with it that with the help of the forum I think I worked out. I pulled the dash and verified the gauge responded as expected when shorted. I tightened and added another ground to the dash pack just because while I was in there. I then found the ground at the harness and the tank and ground them clean and reattached. Seems to be working fine but maybe by my mileage calculation about 1/8 to /1/4 tank off. Is this about as accurate as it should be?
If you're really concerned about accuracy, cut the brown wire under the dash going to the fuel gauge and splice a 0-25 ohm variable resistor (from Radio Shack) in series at a place where you can easily access it. Then, starting from "0", adjust the reading slightly each time you fill up the tank. I was able to get it almost perfect after 3 fill ups. Now, when the gauge is exactly at 1/2 tank, it takes 9 gallons to fill it...at full, the gauge reads slightly beyond FULL by about 1/16". I haven't had the guts to try going to EMPTY as yet.

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 14, 04:32 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Testing the output of the sender will also help you calculate and calibrate the gauge, but non spec readings indicate either an incorrect sender unit was installed in the tank or the unit is starting to fail.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 14, 05:41 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Testing the output of the sender will also help you calculate and calibrate the gauge, but non spec readings indicate either an incorrect sender unit was installed in the tank or the unit is starting to fail.
Brian,
You're right about the matching of the sending unit to the gauge. In my case, the sending unit measured 0-94 ohms (close to factory spec)...Empty to Full. The console gauge is brand new and always indicated a lower than actual fuel level by at least an 1/8 - 3/16 of a tank. To compensate, I added the variable resistor to make the gauge read more accurately. This will not harm anything in the system and is working for me, so, it may help someone else who is seeking more accuracy of the gauge needle to add a simple correction mechanism.

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode