Wiring Help! Connected battery and car tried to start. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Brian

Send a message via AIM to Briancp396 Send a message via MSN to Briancp396
Wiring Help! Connected battery and car tried to start.

I converted my 68 Camaro to HEI and utilized the 1 wire conversion pigtail for a newer alternator. Today, I hooked up my battery for the first time and the horn started blowing and the engine tried to crank (no one was in the car to turn the key!). Sparks were flying! Has someone had this happen before? I am completely lost. I am hoping it is something minor. Any troubleshooting tips will be appreciated. Thanks

Brian

68 RS Camaro, 350 cid, 4-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 05:37 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage
Re: Wiring Help! Connected battery and car tried to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briancp396 View Post
I converted my 68 Camaro to HEI and utilized the 1 wire conversion pigtail for a newer alternator. Today, I hooked up my battery for the first time and the horn started blowing and the engine tried to crank (no one was in the car to turn the key!). Sparks were flying! Has someone had this happen before? I am completely lost. I am hoping it is something minor. Any troubleshooting tips will be appreciated. Thanks

Brian
Sure sounds like you've got wires crossed somewhere. My '69 350 is converted to a stock GM HEI dizzy and single wire alternator with no problems. Did you eliminate the external VR and rewire the horn relay properly? Do you have the proper wire from the coil connected to the starter solenoid?

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 14, 05:45 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

How was it before it was converted to the HEI and the alternator ?. I'm not trying to be ignorant but sometimes people have bought things assuming things were fine only to find out they got taken. You know the story, a guy selling a car says it runs fine but when you want to hear it he says it just needs a battery and it will fire right up for you and you buy it and it needs more than just that.

If it was fine before I would look at all of the spots you worked on and did things to. I might think that maybe a wire is crossed or something goofy on the starter solenoid for it to crank over by itself or maybe on the HEI conversion it got wired to the wrong spot.

The horn though has me baffled as this is on a relay BUT I've seen stranger things before.

I would just look at what you have done real close. If all else fails disconnect what you did and connect the battery then disconnect it and connect one things and try the battery connection again. If it's fine move on to the next connection and so on one at a time.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 14, 07:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

At the starter solenoid should be a purple wire and a yellow wire. The yellow wire goes to the coil on a points system. It has no use with HEI and should be disconnected and taped. The purple wire should be on the "S" terminal of the starter and nothing else there. The purple wire should only have power when the key is in the crank position.

Jeff
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 14, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good suggestions given. Mine are:
1. A power cable is resting across solenoid BAT stud and S terminal and back feeding the ign power circuit via the R terminal on solenoid.
2. Pull off black wire on bottom of horn relay and measure continuity to ground on jusy pulled off black wire - should be an open - if not, insulation worn or horn button(s) have lost their spring pressure.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 14, 09:38 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Look at the engine harness coming from the fuse box. It has a resistor wire which is usually white, black, and purple that goes to the + side of the coil. This wire need to be replaced with a new +12 volt wire from the fuse panel. Here is a wiring diagram of an alternator conversion http://www.lectriclimited.com/images...-vak6368cs.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode