1967 RS mystery inline fuse. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 14, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

1967 RS mystery inline fuse.

On my 67 rs Ive got an inline fuse holder that is located right by where the relay board for the headlights is, under the drivers fender. Its a fairly long plastic white fuse holder with a black plastic mate. Its a black wire. Its never had a fuse in it since Ive owned the car. It looks like its part of the factory harness. Any ideas what this might be for? I have factory a/c if that means anything. 327 pg originally.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 14, 06:28 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Re: 1967 RS mystery inline fuse.

Is it taped in with other wires in the harness or taped in a few spots ?.

Can you tell what each end of the fuse goes to ?.

I wonder if it might have been for a mercury underhood light or for a high speed relay for the blower motor.

Someone might have added it at some point for something unknown and you may want to trace down the wiring.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 14, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

It looks like its factory but I guess its possible that its not. I never tracked it down as it disappears inside the fender and under the rad support. I guess I will have to. I thought someone might know off the top of their head what it was. Its not that shiny soft plastic that many aftermarket fuse holders are. Its a harder plastic and a decent gauge wire.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 14, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

OK, so I just checked the aim and page 179 seems to show the fuse holder at the very bottom of the page. It comes from the horn relay and goes through the bulkhead connector. It comes out and joins with other wires and eventually goes to the red wire on the ignition switch which I believe supplies 12v to the coil in the run position. This all seems very strange to me. Its as if its supplying 12v to the horn relay in the run position but theres already another wire supplying 12v to this very same point on the relay.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 14, 11:01 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Sounds like once upon a time your vehicle had an alarm ignition intercept.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 14, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Sounds like once upon a time your vehicle had an alarm ignition intercept.
Im beginning to think that too. I will have to try and track it down on the car tomorrow. Was that type of thing ever a factory option?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 14, 04:20 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

No alarms were offered - Only aftermarket had alarm systems for install.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 14, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

So, I checked it out today. It goes from the bus bar on the horn relay, the fuse holder is right under where the rs relay boar is and then it hoes through the fender well area with the rest of the harness, and then it, get this, ends. It just hangs down to the subframe onder the brake booster. I guess it was just a leftover wire from something that someone installed back in the day, pre-1980. Maybe it once went through the firewall for something like a cb radio or something. I will be removing it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 14, 06:53 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I'm willing to bet at one time there was a barrel key switch mounted on your fender or under the dash for the activation of the intercept and or alarm. I have an intercept in my z that is a combination ignition intercept and cable hood lock. I assume by your description there was an alarm box and maybe horn mounted on the fender wall to finish the system that took power from the bus-bar.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 14, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
I'm willing to bet at one time there was a barrel key switch mounted on your fender or under the dash for the activation of the intercept and or alarm. I have an intercept in my z that is a combination ignition intercept and cable hood lock. I assume by your description there was an alarm box and maybe horn mounted on the fender wall to finish the system that took power from the bus-bar.
This sounds feasible. I remember seeing that key in the fender deal on other cars back in the day.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 14, 08:44 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

yeah they were THE status symbol at the time some even had a flip top cover LOL

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode