Fuel gauge and temp gauge issues - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Fuel gauge and temp gauge issues

On my '68 console car I am having issues with these two I have had it to two shops and wiring Continuity was checked ,( supposed to be ok, they told me the gauges were bad so I got new gauges and started on the fuel gauge. soon as the key is turned on it pegs up past full and will not lower without manually pulling the needle down with a finger. I changed the gauge and the same thing happens I thought i Had it then as soon as I mounted it in the cluster BAM pegged again. I have followed the directions from the other fuel gauge post and disconnected the lead in the trunk and grounded it ... still pegs out. getting frustrated as a stupid question ,the hot lead and the sending unit lead are supposed to go on the 3 and 9 o'clock terminals correct? and a body ground to the 6 o'clock terminal?

Now for the temp gauge, there are 4 terminals and a ceramic plate. the terminals at 9,12,and 3 are silver and the 6 o'clock terminal is goldish with a resister going to it. how is this supposed to be wire? The reason I ask is I had a american wiring loom installed and I am not sure if it was hooked up correctly. Which terminals do the Hot and lead to the temp sending unit hook up to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 06:00 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Fuel gauge and temp gauge issues

Steve - Past full means more than likely bad ground of the sender int he tank. The ground is hard to see but it is at the rear passenger tank strap. Run a temp ground with a alligator test lead to bare metal. If that works, your golden.

If it doesn't Read the sticky in this forum for full troubleshooting and diagnostics of fuel gauge issues. https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195833 and post your Ohm's test results here in your post.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I followed this I . results are in post but I just went out and hooked the hot wire to the gauge. and bypassed the wire going back to the tank by hooking direct ground to othe terminal, If i read the sticky correctly this should show empty... NOT still pegs out on full

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Might just need to slap the gauge to loosen the needle.
Reverse the jumper leads on the gauge and see if the gauge goes to zero/empty.
If so then the OE hook up is wrong or gauge is wired wrong internally.
If gauge stays full , then bad gauge.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

The fuel gauge and the temperature gauge are just volt meters. They both measure the voltage to ground.

If you have a bad ground (for example; in the case of the temperature sender it could have been screwed into a painted hole which insulates the sending unit from a good ground). In the case of the gas gauge 90% of time it is corrosion that prevents the ground. Just taking the parts apart and reattaching everything allows the sending units to ground again most of the time. People think that replacing a part fixed the problem but it was just the removal of some of the corrosion that really did it.

Continuity will not provide enough information as to having a good ground; it assures you have a complete circuit, but it doesn't determine the resistance value. For that you use the Ohm setting on the multi-meter. Too much resistance and the 12 volts from the fuse box will never reach ground. That is why you use a 25 foot long 10 gauge wire with a large alligator clip on one end for the negative battery terminal, and a small alligator clip on the other to attach it to whatever you want a good ground to be. I have fixed more electrical problems with that one reel of wire than any other electrical diagnostic tool in my tool box.

Larger Dave
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

If I run straight hot wire and straight ground to gauge what should it read? empty?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

the pos and neg wires in the temp gauge were backwards would this burn it out or keep it from working?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 14, 07:30 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Steve i dont see your ohm readings so I assume you dint take any readings from the sender. If you ground the sender wire it will read zero ohms which is empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 14, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I switched the pos and ground on the gauge and then grounded the lead in the trunk and it read empty. the needle is rising a lot slower omn the gauge now so I am headed the right way. next is to remove the temp sender and remove the liquid teflon I put on it to seal and see where that goes.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 14, 03:03 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Sounds like you are on the right track on both situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode