67 Camaro W/S wiper problem - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 14, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

67 Camaro W/S wiper problem

I just bought a 67 Camaro and the windshield wiper motor was not plugged in and the wiper arms were not on when I bought it. After getting it home and plugging it in, the motor ran but would not shut off. I grounded a loose black wire under the dash and now the wiper motor turns off and on, but only one speed. It's either on or off. Could this be a faulty switch? or something else?

Also, I've had a problem with the wiper transmission hitting underneath the cowl on the passenger side. I noticed the car had a 68 wiper motor crank arm and I need to order a 67 crank arm. Should this solve the binding problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I need to get these working so it will pass inspection and I can get it registered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 14, 02:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: 67 Camaro W/S wiper problem

Here's a link to the 68-69 wiper motor troubleshooting diagram, should be the same for the '67: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42420

You should be able to bench test it to determine if it's the switch that's at fault, or if it's the motor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 14, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

After owing a bunch of 67s, I just got my remaining 67's wiper/washer working as it should.

A simple test is to use a battery charger and place the ground clamp on the middle terminal. Move the wiper crank arm from it's resting place (this closes the contact points inside the transmission case allowing current to flow) and clamp the positive cable to the right terminal. The motor should make one rotation and stop when the internal contact points open. This is the park position.

From the park position, you can reattach the motor to the firewall using the correct transmission arm and attach the wipers. You'll know you have the arm on correctly when you can view it through the rectangle cutout in the top of the firewall. If you can't, then you put the crank on 180 degrees off.

If the motor keeps running (doesn't park), you have to open the transmission case and fix (bend) the contacts so they meet.

The left most terminal is the slow speed. If the middle terminal works as it should, twist the crank arm a little further past park to close the internal contacts and move the negative clamp to the left terminal. There is an internal resistor between these two negative terminals and if the motor doesn't turn, the resistor may be fried or your battery charger isn't putting out enough amps to turn the motor. You can substitute battery power with jumper cables, but be careful.

None of my 67s had a proper working wiper/washer and buying a "rebuilt" wiper doesn't mean it will work as described above. Also, if by some miracle it does work, then chances are the washer rotor will be incorrect (too low).

If the motor checks out and you are still having problems, verify the ground strap on the motor, check the wiring between the switch and wiper, then check the switch and it's ground.

Getting a stock 67 washer working is another subject.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 14, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Well I figured it out. Somewhere along the way, somebody cut the ground wire that plugs into the back of the switch and ran a jumper from the wiper switch ground wire to the steering column to ground it. Once I spliced the ground wire back together and grounded the wiper switch by securing the wiper switch in place on the dash, everything worked as it should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode