67 Windshield washer pump - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 14, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Rob

67 Windshield washer pump

I am using a stock wiper motor in my 67 convertible. I bought a replacement washer pump. It came with no instructions. I installed it by using the one bolt on the top passenger side of the pump, under the plastic cover, with the spacer, and the lower driver's side bolt. It worked, but would not disengage. Basically the arm would rotate the gear until it reached a certain point, and then start pulling air. I thought the pump was bad, so I ordered another one, this time an AC Delco brand. When it showed up, it was the EXACT same pump as the no-name brand, but came with instructions. The instructions said for 67 and earlier models, use the long bolt and spacer in the upper passenger side location, under the cover. For 68-69 models, use the upper passenger side outer bolt and lower driver's side bolts. This implies that you only use one bolt on the 67. I tried it. It worked, and it disengaged. For giggles, I installed the lower driver's side bolt, and it acted like the first pump, and didn't disengage. The thing is, with just the one bolt installed, it moves around allot, and is very loud. It doesn't seem right. I know these replacement pumps are not correct for 67s, but they are all that is available as far as I know. Is this what they intend for a 67? If anyone has any experiences to share, or suggestions to offer, I'd appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 14, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Re: 67 Windshield washer pump

The replacement pumps are supposed to use 2 bolts to attach to the wiper motor.

The first bolt on the driver's side you got right.

The bolt on the passenger side is the tricky one.

Obviously, there is a nice hole on the flat next to the stamped riser, but that's for the 68-69 cars and it doesn't line up for the 67 wiper. The 67 cars use the hole that's on the riser (and in the right spot) with the spacer between the riser and the wiper motor.

Use this example for clarity.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh.../post/2222633/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 14, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Rob

Thanks mahunt,
When I bolt it up like that, with the passenger side on the riser with the spacer, and the lower driver's bolt installed, it doesn't disengage. When I remove the lower driver's side bolt it does disengage, but moves around while operating.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 14, 05:43 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

Put a washer between the pump and the wiper body and then tighten down the driver's side bolt?

The kits usually come with a new, lower design pump rotor (the 4 cogged thing that operates the pump).

Did you get one?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 14, 06:49 AM Thread Starter
Rob

Thanks for the quick reply. I did replace the rotor. I'll try the washer.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
Rob

Just a quick update. I tried the washer, but no luck. I noticed that i was having to put tension on the spring to get the driver side bolt in. I slotted the driver side hole inboard and down so the bolt would go in freely. Now it works great. Thanks for the help.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 12:57 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
It worked, but would not disengage. Basically the arm would rotate the gear until it reached a certain point, and then start pulling air.
This is why most pumps are replaced.....and a very simple fix...a very small tag from a mig welder, couple stokes of a fine file on the lever... place and good for another 20 yrs
I have described the how to in old threads on the subject.....
All the issue is is a slightly thou s of an inch worn on the metal bit in the rectangle hole the catches the cam.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 14, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Rob

This one was a brand new pump, so it wasn't worn. It simply was out of alignment. Slotting the hole allowed it to bolt up without it being in tension
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode