Engine harness - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Barry J

Garage
Engine harness

I have a 67 Conv. base with a 350. One of the clips that hold my harness to the bulkhead on the firewall, had snapped off years ago. Now the right side wiring that plugs in there is irritated. I loss all power when I move it. I was looking to replace the engine wiring harness, so I can drive my car without worrying about the power shut down.
First do most wiring harnesses come with the bulkhead.?
And how does the bulkhead mount to the firewall??
I was looking at a replacement harness thru Rick's Camaro's, would that be a good place to start?
I have the basic set-up..no power steering, no power brakes
Thanks
Barry

"Kids in backseats dont cause accidents.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
..accidents in backseats cause kids!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 08:10 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Engine harness

The engine side of the bulkhead wiring pigtail is actually two harnesses that slide together first to make the plug that then is connected to the backside of the fuse panel. I think at one time Lectric Limited sold replacement connections so if the wiring isn't compromised, just the current plug is loose and vibrations disconnect it then you can make it sound again without replacing the entire engine and light harness.

Factory style replacement harnesses such as those by American Auto Wire / Factory Fit have the connections already made. Ricks and others carry the line at a discount or you can order direct from factoryfit.com.

You slide the two parts together first then push the two together on to the bulkhead connector then a bolt that goes through the center of the plugs to secure it in place.

Since you don't have power brakes you should be able to access and manipulate the plugs without removing the fender. The brake booster in power brake vehicles makes the job almost impossible with out removing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 06:26 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

I highly recommend American Autowire Factory Fit harnesses. The fit and quality are excellent.

The clips that hold the plug to the firewall on the engine side are part of the fuse block.

Brian

'67 SS/RS 350, Muncie M20, Black with black interior.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech
Chaz

+1 to the above. American Autowire is superb. If you decide to use their underdash harness comes with a beautiful reproduction fuse box. I couldn't see any difference between it and my original. A little pricey but takes all the guesswork out of wiring a car.

68 Camaro

Some mods...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Barry J

Garage

So, since the clip is broken on the "bulkhead", and from what i read here, I assume the bulkhead with the clips is actually the backside of the fusebox,,,so if I want a new "bulkhead" with the clips, I should buy yhe fusebox.
Is that correct??
Barry

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 04:20 PM
Senior Tech
Chaz

The two engine harnesses plug into the back of the fuse box. The fuse box is inside the cabin of the car but the back side where the harnesses plug in is actually in the engine comprtment. I don't know exactly what you mean by the "clips". Both engine harness clip together and are plugged into the fuse box. They're held in with a single bolt...

68 Camaro

Some mods...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Barry J

Garage

I am at work, not with the car..If my memory is correct, I have two clips, one on top and one on the bottom on both harness plugs,,maybe I'm mistaken..but never remember a screw holdingit. I will look tomorrow. Where exactly is the screw located
Thanks

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 04:51 PM

I have a 67, it's a Firebird, but the harness is the same. I have a broken clip also, there isn't a screw or bolt that holds the engine harness to the bulkhead as stated above. My car isn't on the road yet, I am hoping I don't have the same problem you described. When I looked into it the solution it was to replace the under dash harness as it includes the fuse block that the clips are attached to. Not much help, but you aren't alone.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Barry J

Garage

I found a pic on the forum that looks like my set-up.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=136741

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 14, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Barry J

Garage

Does anybody know if I can replace the clip type of fuse box, and where to get it
Thanks

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 14, 05:39 PM

Try lectriclimited. Com, look in the repair parts section.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode