Optima batteries - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage
Optima batteries

Anyone noticed that the cost of Optima batteries seems to have skyrocketed? What's up?

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 06:10 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Optima batteries

Usually a supply and demand situation. Since the military uses these batteries exclusively, the military may be buying them up. As supply falls on the market side price goes up to meet demand. (Uncle Sam never asks how much when buying things so the continue to buy). If the Optima manufacturing sites can not keep up with current demand the number of batteries on the market goes down., and the price goes up. It the price of materials, lead, fiberglass, electrolyte paste, or the plastic used for the case goes up; then so will the price of the final product. Similarly if they gave everyone at the manufacturing plant a raise in pay.

The question you have to ask yourself is your Camaro going to be driven off road like a tank, duce and a half truck, or HumVee? If not, the only other reason to run a gel cell battery is fear of going upside down the track. No one wants to take a bath in sulfuric acid so cars that have a chance of going airborne all use gel cell batteries. Boats also love gel cells as a typical lead acid battery can be beaten to death by high speed wave pounding, and the gel cell is unaffected.

Big Dave
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Thanks for the economics lesson. Battery is in the trunk. Current Optima in the 68 is the first one I bought over six years ago and is a dead player even though I kept it on a trickle with the proper AGM charger. I could swap the one from the 85 for now but then that leaves the one in the boat that I just retrieved from storage that is likely dead also. I see I can get one from Jeg's without tax and free shipping about $50 cheaper than the local Advance Auto. But it seems the last one I bought was only about $125 now about $180 vs about $120 + tax at AA.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 07:07 PM
Senior Tech
Anne

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post
Thanks for the economics lesson. Battery is in the trunk. Current Optima in the 68 is the first one I bought over six years ago and is a dead player even though I kept it on a trickle with the proper AGM charger. I could swap the one from the 85 for now but then that leaves the one in the boat that I just retrieved from storage that is likely dead also. I see I can get one from Jeg's without tax and free shipping about $50 cheaper than the local Advance Auto. But it seems the last one I bought was only about $125 now about $180 vs about $120 + tax at AA.
This is an interesting product ; a new type of battery charger that won't damage a battery like a trickle charger can :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdZES5CQz9I

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
This is an interesting product ; a new type of battery charger that won't damage a battery like a trickle charger can :
That is what I have. Three of them, two of the larger ones and one of the smaller. The claim is also that they can recondition a lead acid battery also. Going to try that on a motorcycle battery this weekend. And a couple of deep cycle marine batteries.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Actually that video shows one larger than what I have. I'm behind.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 07:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity

I have a 68 camaro coupe and a 69 camaro convertible, both with 350 motor's !! I prefer to have AC/Delco Batteries in both of them. People invest thousand's of dollar's of $$$ in their rides, many want them back to original, as possible, and then yet when you raise the hood, or see bat a car show, what do you see...Walmart, Oreilly Optima etc batteries, personally to me the battery look's out of place...You can go to your local Chevrolet Dealer part's dept and purchase an AC/Delco for around $115.00, and I think they have a GREAT WARRANTY, and also personally think they look correct! I am not so HOT on a Trickle charger plugged in constantly, recently on my 97 Mustang which I had a World known brand installed. and it fried the battery. Of course the Manufacture denined their tricle charger caused the problem.......Myself just plain don't trust them !!!!!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 09:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thumbs down Re: Optima batteries

Actually, the cost of most newer technology batteries has been on a steady climb the last few years ...

And I agree with above - have mostly AC/Delco units again now - I'm done with Opti/Oopsy-Fails
After five (5) failures in just over 4 years in cars, trucks and boats I've chucked them all (turned in for $5 cores) and gone to AGM's or even back to standard construction for some trucks.
The last 'Oopsy' in the lake ski boat hardly made it through a season, well actually it didn't ... failed once and was exchanged for full credit ... ten failed again right after replacement warranty expired. Installed a marine AGM and it's not on it's third season with not a hint of problem/failure - even when the kids left the key-on last summer for a week after they left It was flat, but took a full charge overnight and has been fine.

Just can't justify the cost/lifecycle/failure of them - I can buy 2~3 other batteries for the cost of a single 'Oopsy' - and can keep a spare or two in the shop on maintainers year round
I think they had a great product years ago, along with the factor that made them worth the extra cost - but now they are poor to terrible at best ...

And since they're buried in the back of that boat ... behind a cover ... and then the seat ... I sure don't miss any factor of having one there

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 14, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblucam View Post
Is that battery eligible for the advance auto online 30% code trt30? I use it all the time. Order online and pick it up from the store. Some items are not eligible though. I know regular batteries are eligible, Ive bought a couple that way. There actually used to be a 40% off $100 minimum purchase but I think its gone.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 05:06 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff67rs View Post
Is that battery eligible for the advance auto online 30% code trt30? I use it all the time. Order online and pick it up from the store. Some items are not eligible though. I know regular batteries are eligible, Ive bought a couple that way. There actually used to be a 40% off $100 minimum purchase but I think its gone.
That's how I bought mine. Thanks for reminding me about that code!

'69 SS396 X66 L34 08D M21 BS
460ci Gen VI 9.75:1 AED 950 carb
241/249 @ .050" .625/.625 110 LSA

Semper Fi!

"The galleries are full of critics. They play no ball, they fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing."
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 14, 10:35 PM
Senior Tech
Ozzie

Amen to Vintage 68. I went thru 2 Optima Red Tops about 5 years ago. Back then in the
Bay Area, for some reason I was looking at almost $300 for the next replacement. That's when I got off the Less-than-Optimal train.

I ended up going with a Duralast Gold from Autozone for $99. It's been 4.5yrs and it's still going. It actually cranks harder and longer than the optima ever did.

Regarding battery tenders: When my last one went bad, (who knows, maybe it also fried the last optima?) I bought the Sears Die Hard digital model - BUT I put it on a timer. It only comes on once a day for 1.5hrs. I think that's the key. Only running for a short time simulates starting the car and driving once a day.

Just my 2 cents

'68 Camaro RS
zz383 (2005) rebuilt in 2019
AFR 195s, Quick Fuel 680, 700r4, Detroit TruTrac 3:42s

Last edited by fastercar68; Nov 21st, 14 at 10:36 PM. Reason: misspelled word
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 14, 01:58 PM
Kim

Optima AGM batteries are sensitive to batterycharge voltage and amperage. Go much above 15V or 10A and you're gonna fry them. On alternator you're not gonna fry them but a battery charger will if you exceed 10amps and 15Volts.

Lead/acid batteries are much more tolerant.

I have never experienced any faulty Optima battery but I did cook one on a 40amp battery charger once, battery got too hot to touch lol. Totally my fault and customer of the shop where I worked at the time got a new one.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 14, 11:08 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Two out of three of my Red Tops are still going. But it's scary, they're made in MEXICO now. I think Johnson Controls owns the brand. Our Costco sells them. But not cheap.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 14, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

I've used optima batteries for several years. I find they consistently wear out in about 5 years. I think that is normal for battery life, optima or traditional brand.

The important thing here is that you ask me what kind of car I've got. "I've got a BITCHIN' CAMARO"
'68 350 4 speed
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 14, 03:11 PM
Senior Tech

Thumbs up Re: Optima batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimosabi View Post
Optima AGM batteries are sensitive to batterycharge voltage and amperage. Go much above 15V or 10A and you're gonna fry them. On alternator you're not gonna fry them but a battery charger will if you exceed 10amps and 15Volts.

Lead/acid batteries are much more tolerant.

I have never experienced any faulty Optima battery but I did cook one on a 40amp battery charger once, battery got too hot to touch lol. Totally my fault and customer of the shop where I worked at the time got a new one.
I agree kimosabi. I think lots of folks who complain that the Optimas fail prematurely are probably putting them into an over-voltage with a charger that isn't regulated. I've had several Optimas for years (at least 5yrs) and they work great. The best thing is they don't puke acid all over like 2 of my Delco batteries have in years past.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode