Factory Tach not working - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Factory Tach not working

My Factory Tach stopped working after I had an older MSD 6AL box installed. Since I have a 4 speed tranny, I really want my tach to work. Where do I start? I checked the wiring and it looks like it has been cut. I heard that I need an adapter in order to get the tach working. Where can I find this adapter? I have a first gen RS/SS, 396, 4 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 14, 11:57 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Factory Tach not working

David - Your signature block is blank so what year?

The tachometer feed wire is a single brown wire through the bulkhead connector so you can splice or replace that easy but the real question will be once you hook it up will your factory tachometer be happy?

More than likely no, but if you have a legacy tachometer port on the MSD box maybe or will you need to buy or create a tachometer filter in order to make your factory tachometer work.

Our sticky to DIY a filter https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=309026

Take a look at MSD's website for filters for your box, or search for threads here in this forum. There was a thread last week on GM HEI swaps and purchasing a tachometer filter to stop bounce.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 14, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Thanks, 69 Pace for the response/info. That's a '67 1st gen. I discovered the brn tach wire disconnected from the distributor while I was tracking down my ammeter issue. Thought I better not hook it up until I was sure it would not damage the tach. I'll check the MSD box for the legacy port and definitely study the sticky on DYI filter. Pretty sure you're right about needing a filter.

Guess I need to figure how to fill in my signature block,
Thanks.
Dave
Just looked at the sticky. Wow, that's so simple! I'm on my way to Radio Shack, now. Thanks again.

Last edited by moses david; Oct 25th, 14 at 11:12 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 14, 11:14 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

A short testing will not cause long term damage IMHO.

You will notice very quickly if it has fits, or sticks or bounces all over the place which are all symptoms HEI ignition incompatibility, and use needing a filter for that particular tachometer. You can also have the original tachometer guts retrofitted to modern HEI standards.

Go to your control panel available in a few places such as clicking on your login name on the top right of the screen, then on your profile page click edit profile, Edit signature and save.

Or the left hand side of the index page, under site navigation click user CP.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 14, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
David

Your advice has been very helpful, Brian. I did not get the filter put together, but I will post results once I do. I did find an unused port on my MSD box. It looks like a special plug would go into it. Not sure if that's a legacy port or not.
Where or who would retro fit my tach for HEI compatibility? I would like to fix it myself if I can. Always good to have alternatives, though. Like Clint says, "a man's got to know his limitations". Thanks, again for your help. This site has helped motivate me to fix so many little electrical issues on my Camaro, i.e. gas gauge stopped working, diagnosed problem; replaced fuel sending unit. In doing that repair, discovered tail lights weren't working. Found and fixed a fried wire from the tail light pigtail to the headlight switch. Repaired the wires that were cut from the bulkhead to the console wire harness for the ammeter. (it now works!) Pulled the instrument panel and replaced all the bulbs and grounded the panel. Oh, I can't forget the horns! I had no working horns. Per TC's advice, I soaked 'em and coaxed 'em (tapping) and that over several weeks, brought the OEM horns back to life! Thank You Team Camaro! You Rock.

'67 RS/SS 396 4spd Muncie 12 bolt diff.
1941 Chevy 1/2 ton P.U.

Last edited by moses david; Oct 25th, 14 at 10:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode