DIY Tachometer Filter - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 14, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
DIY Tachometer Filter

Since the menu link to our tachometer filter page is broken I have created a sticky to point to it.

https://www.camaros.net/techref/elect...lter/index.htm

Brian

Capacitor: 1 ufd, 63V, axial lead, foil wound, usualy 1/2 inch by 1/8-3/16 inch diameter - neg lead goes to case, pos lead to an insulator.

Everett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

Last edited by Everett#2390; May 22nd, 16 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added capacitor specifics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 15, 01:35 PM
Senior Tech
Chaz

Re: DIY Tachometer Filter

I noticed part of this goes to the coil and part goes to ground. My tach is connected directly to my coil. Do i just put this filter in front of my tach wire and solder the brown tach wire directly to the blue wire in the pictures?

68 Camaro

Some mods...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 15, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Chaz - Your brown Tachometer lead connects to the raw blue end on the left top in this picture.

You can either use a quick connect/disconnect pigtail arrangement as suggested in the article directions or solder it direct.

I would personally use a pigtail or other type of connector for easy maintenance. The filter can also be mounted on the dash side before the Tachometer. Its up to you as long as it is in-line someplace between the Tachometer and the coil.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 15, 02:55 PM
Kevin

Nice! If I ever get my SS done, I think I will need this

Kevin

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 15, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah it is a great trick to fix an major PITA situation and it is wicked cheap and anyone can make it, because it is just that simple.

I've seen filters in a very nice project box or case being sold for under a 100 bucks. Open them up and what do you see? This type of filter hidden behind the case and considering it is about 6 bucks of materials and time to make it is insane profit.

You could really mount it behind the Tachometer and no one would ever know. You would need to make a small extension cord, straight lines for the other two connections on the Tachometer harness plug for ground and power. Run the filters ground to the new pigtail ground, and use a standard female connection and the Male spade on the output end of the filter and plug it in the existing female harness. To really dress it up maybe put it in some shrink ir cable conduit. Maybe I'll make that a winter project and see if it looks like a product I could sell LOL.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 15, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech
Chaz

Yea I'll probably make one this weekend because my tach is bouncing. I have a Mallory Unilite setup and I think this will help it out! I will probably hide mine in the rubber wiring retainer near the cowl Thank you everyone!

68 Camaro

Some mods...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 15, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
Chaz

I made my filter on Saturday and it works perfect now! Thank you for the valuable info Brian

68 Camaro

Some mods...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 15, 04:09 PM
Senior Tech
Don

sorry for asking such a dumb thing. Bought all this stuff years ago and never got a round to it. Think I bought a filter box from Ricks ,,,little black box says SN-76 on end of it.

Even longer ago bought tach from Ricks or Classic,,,then bought a pigtail for the back of that,,that has three wires,,,pink, black, and brown. Pink has a double quick connect, brown has an extension wire on it. Black looks like a short wire with eyelet on it (maybe a ground)

Back to the SN-76 box it has red, black, white, yellow wires, diagram says red goes to switch, black ground ,,,,

white-ecm tach signal (which is my outlet on accel dist cap marked tach????)

and yellow is noted tach signal post which is what???the pink quick connect??

need this buttoned up so can put my dash back together. thanks for any help

Last edited by 69-Pace; Jul 5th, 15 at 05:17 PM. Reason: old age
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 15, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Don the Tachometer uses Pink for 12 volts from the accessory side of the fuse panel. Black is the ground to chassis and the Brown is the Tachometer signal wire from the ignition coil in a points vehicle.

The filter - SN76 - Tach Adapter LS1 4-cly to 8-cyl manufactured by Classic Instruments. Does it look like the one in these instructions? http://www.classicinstruments.com/us...6%20Wiring.pdf

If it is then I assume that the yellow from the filter goes to the Brown lead back to the Tachometer, and the White on the filter box goes to your ECM - Electronic Control Module or in your case the Distributor port marked Tachometer

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 15, 05:18 AM
Tech Team
David

Thank you for this good little filter. I wonder, does it matter which capacitor lead, + or _ is soldered to the resister? Has anyone ever successfully used this low pass filter with a MSD or other ignition box? I am about to try it on my MSD 6AL, but want to have the polarization on the capacitor right.

'67 RS/SS 396 4spd Muncie 12 bolt diff.
1941 Chevy 1/2 ton P.U.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 15, 07:42 PM
Tech Team
David

Brian, does it matter in a DC circuit which capacitor lead: Pos. or Neg. is soldered to the resistor?

1941 Chevy 1/2 ton P.U.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 15, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

It is Jim M's design and the directions are as bare-bones as the filter is but it works. If I understand your question, which end of the finished resistor gets the input and which is the output? Resistors work either end, so it does not matter which end is energized, the resistance value will be on the other end.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 15, 07:41 AM
Tech Team
David

Thank you, I can solder it together, now. Going to use it to try to correct the readings that the MSD box is affecting.

1941 Chevy 1/2 ton P.U.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 15, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

ok let us know the results

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode