Fusible Link - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Fusible Link

The one from the battery cable to the junction block behind the battery....is it really just a 14awg wire or is there something special about it? The local parts store only had the type with an actual fuse installed. Can I use a section of 14 awg wire and does the length matter?

Thanks

1968, 383, 700R4, Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 07:03 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Fusible Link

It is supposed to be "fusible link" wire. NAPA sells it 10' rolls. Not terribly expensive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have another store to check that is closer than NAPA (wish those were common here) but will head there if need be. Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 07:17 AM
Senior Tech
Ty

San Diego...Auto Zone sells them
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sorry. Need to update my profile. Im in South Florida now but AutoZone was the next store I was going to check. Seems to be harder to find stores that have a lot of these parts in stock for our old cars. Bennett Auto Supply didnt even have a tranny filter and gasket for 700r4 transmission!

Im whinning now. I'll stop

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 07:31 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

The wire is not copper strand automotive wire. It is made of nickel-chrome steel wire (same stuff as glows red in your toaster) and is rated to carry Amperage in different amounts. Here is a picture of the wire without the poly-chloride vinyl plastic insulation:

If you are thinking of upgrading your wiring I recommend buying a circuit breaker rather than a fuse as a circuit breaker will rest and not leave you stranded on the side of the road.

These circuit breakers are also sold by amperage rating. The amperage rated is related to the rated capacity of your car's ORIGINAL alternator. If it was replaced with a 120 Amp one wire alternator to feed your power hungry stereo amplifier then your car could burn to the ground as the factory wiring isn't sized (gage of wire) to conduct that much power.

So a 36 Amp rated alternator would have a 40 Amp fusible link. A 67 Amp alternator would have a 70 Amp rated fusible link. You can buy circuit breakers sized in 5 Amp increments.

Big Dave
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

DOH!! I just ran to Auto Zone and bought 9" of 14awg universal fusible link. My wiring is not really upgraded per se. I just replaced everything forward of the firewall with AAW factory fit harnesses. I do have a 105amp alternator in there....

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode