Dakota Digital VHX gauges for 67 Camaro with console - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 14, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Dakota Digital VHX gauges for 67 Camaro with console

Hey guys, have any of you installed these new VHX gauges in a 67 camaro with the gauges in the factory console housing? I was wondering how they look? I was going to go with Autometer Ultra Lite II but then I saw these. I know the Auto Meter gauges look good in a 67 Camaro but I haven't seen any pictures of the new VHX gauges installed.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd721.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 14, 07:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: Dakota Digital VHX gauges for 67 Camaro with console

I have the non console Silver/blue VHX Gauges in my 68. I like them a lot. I had a set of ultralite IIs before ( liked them also). The DD kit comes complete with every fitting/adapter you will need to install it. I also used one of their BIM modules to connect to my LS3 PCM and most of the engine gauge readings are taken from it. Another cool feature of the VHX gauges is you have the ability to run a shift light. I ended up using the original high beam indicator (with a LED) location and it is really cool. You can also set warning limits for each gauge. Either way I don't think you will go wrong with the VHX gauges if you go that direction.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 14, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
I have the non console Silver/blue VHX Gauges in my 68. I like them a lot. I had a set of ultralite IIs before ( liked them also). The DD kit comes complete with every fitting/adapter you will need to install it. I also used one of their BIM modules to connect to my LS3 PCM and most of the engine gauge readings are taken from it. Another cool feature of the VHX gauges is you have the ability to run a shift light. I ended up using the original high beam indicator (with a LED) location and it is really cool. You can also set warning limits for each gauge. Either way I don't think you will go wrong with the VHX gauges if you go that direction.
Thanks Chris for the reply back. I was just getting ready to purchase the Autometers and stumbled across the VHX series. I like all the features the VHX series comes with that the Autometer don't have. Didn't realize you could also program in a Shift Light. The Silver/blue is what I want to get. How does the blue look at night? The only place I was able to see what the gauges look like at night was on Dakota Digital site. I did a search but didn't find many posts where guys were talking about these gauges. Maybe it's because they are still fairly new.

Also, when you used the original high beam indicator (with a LED) location, do have it wired into the VHX gauges? The way you have the high beam set up is the way I would want to do mine.

Thanks,
Tony

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 14, 07:25 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Tony, I had a covans dash with the autometer gauges before and had all LEDs wired in for turn signals, high beam and check engine light. To me the difference between the 2 (autometer/DD VHX) is what look you want for your car. The autometer II series are a race look and the DD ones are more of a modern touch. Both are great, it just depends on what look you want. I am really anal when it comes to wiring. The install time for the VHX ones is a lot easier because the wiring is no where near intensive. You just connect the dash wires to the control unit. There is a CAT V wire to connect the control unit and the gauges. so easy, even a caveman can do it ;-)

The extra features in the VHX put it over the top though. All you have to do is wire all of the sensors into the control box and all of the "indicators" are built in to the display. the shift light is labeled warning light I believe. I used a blue LED bought off of eBay, the original high beam bulb housing and a small piece of abs plastic. I cut the plastic to fit in between metal bulb holder and oem gauge bezel and used the oem screws to secure everything together. I drilled a hole in the plastic and used some Glue to hold the led in the plastic. You just hook up 12v ign to the positive side of the LED and the DD control unit supplies the ground when it reaches your preset RPM. Stealthy and just the way I like it. Harder to see during the day but not blinding at night.

The only thing I don't like about the silver VHX ones is that when the gauges are in direct sunlight, it is harder to see them. One thing I did to remedy this has to do with the small LED readout windows below the speedo/tach. You can program what to display in those windows. I have MPH reading (the number) in the one underneath the tach and put the odometer underneath the tach. When driving during the day, I mainly just monitor the tach and the MPH reading underneath it. At night they are black with the Blue LED backit, Awesome!!!!!!!

if you are interested in the LED setup and can wait until after thanksgiving, I will send you one in the mail. I bought 10 and only used 1. they were 10 for $10 shipped LOL. I just started a new job here in San Diego and my family/car are in Vegas. I will be heading home for Turkey day. All of my pics are on my computer in Vegas. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Chris
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 14, 07:31 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Garage

I had these installed in my 68 during the LS1 swap. Awesome gauges, LEDs are always on and they look cool! I went with blue on carbon fiber. Here's a pic of the gauges while cruising. Gotta love 2000 rpm's at 70 mph

Check my rides:

1968 Camaro Convertible LS1, T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Challenger RT Scat Pack Shaker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 14, 06:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
I had these installed in my 68 during the LS1 swap. Awesome gauges, LEDs are always on and they look cool! I went with blue on carbon fiber. Here's a pic of the gauges while cruising. Gotta love 2000 rpm's at 70 mph

Are you guys running a speedo cable, or using a GPS function in the DD gauges?

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 14, 02:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Jim, you can't use a speedo cable. You have to either use the GPS or a VSS signal. The control unit connects to the gauges using a CAT5 cable.

Chris
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 14, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Thanks guys for the help. I love the look of the Autometer gauges but these VHX gauges are pretty cool. Love all the features it provides for our cars, but still retaining a nice modern factory appearance.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 03:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
Jim, you can't use a speedo cable. You have to either use the GPS or a VSS signal. The control unit connects to the gauges using a CAT5 cable.
Thanks, Chris.

Might be time to order a set

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 14, 09:36 PM
Senior Tech
67 Camaros Rock

Just for the info I run a an 5 inch Autometer electric speedo with GPS function, it's an old bought it from Chris/130FE years ago. GPS works great!!

"If you can leave black marks on a straight from the time you exit a corner till the time you brake for the next turn.......
Then, you have enough horsepower."
-Mark Donahue
My 67 Camaro Time Line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode