69 Wire Harness routing Picís - Front Radiator Support - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 14, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

69 Wire Harness routing Picís - Front Radiator Support

Hi All
I have been looking for any Pictures of the Proper Wire Harness Routing for my 69 SS/ RS.

Both Left hand and Right hand, looking forward in the Engine Compartment and on the Forward side looking AFT but without the Grill/ Headlights to see how the Harness is routed around the Radiator Support.

All the Pictures on ďthe netĒ are of the Engines looking AFT and there is no detail.

I was spoiled using a 69 SS on the Showroom Floor at Ground Up, they are like 20 minutes from my house Ė They Sold the Car a few months ago !
There went my Reference vehicle.

I do have the AIM, Picture's "ARE" worth a thousand words.

Thanks
Timmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro AFT side of Radiator Support 001.jpg
Views:	2479
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	92705   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro AFT side of Radiator Support 002.jpg
Views:	3797
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	92713  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 14, 10:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Re: 69 Wire Harness routing Picís - Front Radiator Support

Big block, with the alternator on the passenger side? (oops, sorry, didn't look at your pictures)
If so, I've posted a series of pictures on my web site that show what happened when my original harness burned while at the strip.
Do you have a made-up harness or are you winging it on your own?
The reason I ask is because the original harness has a plastic strip that features little retaining clips that hold it to the radiator support. (the harness is all made up before the car is assembled, of course, so the clips just get pushed into the holes of the support) Let me go get some of them, be right back.

Most of these wires are for stuff like fuel injection and ignition and lights. Look for the 'melt'.

Note below, the new wires installed. I used 8ga to replace the originals. Also look where the wires turn to go around the radiator support. See what looks like a split rubber hose protecting the wires from the sharp edge of the support? You know, so they don't get worn through again in 43 years?

Below is exactly how the factory wired the 'big' wires, using a lug. I just used bigger wires on the right.

Here is where things went to hell. Note the indentation where the harness was pulled tight against the support. Also you can see the very beginning of the mounting strip. Look at the blue wire and just above it is the black tip of the strip.

Looks really bad huh? But this might help you to determine which wires go in the harness. Hint: When in doubt, include the wire.
Also, as bad as this looked, the total damage was to the red wire. Cost $10.00. Why so cheap? Because my battery is in the trunk. And I was racing the car. That means a battery switch has to be at the trunk to cut power. When the smoke started, my car stopped. (on the return road) The smoke was white so I jumped out and smelled it and then ran to the back and cut power. If the smoke was black, forgetaboutit.

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 14, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi Fred

First - My Car, 69 SS/RS, was original 350sb/300 w/TH350, built in Oct 68.

Both Old and Now, Alternator on the Passengers Side.

Installed a 427 BB and 700R4 Trans.

The Previous Owner Removed and ran Ignition/ Start/ Fuel pump Electrical to the Console and cut or Removed many circuits for the Charging and Power Distribution Harness on the Radiator Support - All Not very nicely or Safe.

I am replacing/ Repairing and Updating my Dash and Engine and Forward Wiring Harness as well as Incorporating my MSD 6AL Ignition, CVR Mini Starter, 700R4 Lock Up Switch, Indicator, Classic Auto Air – Air Conditioning and MAD Charging System Mod’s.

Those Pic’s are great, any from the front where the Harness crosses over ?

I do have a few more questions,

1) Is the Lighting Wiring Harness "Wrapped" into one Harness as it goes across the front ?

2) Does the Harness Tuck up under the Forward Lip of the Radiator support ?

3) I took my car apart years ago and did not take any Pictures before I started taking stuff off, are the ends of the Radiator Support Open so the Wiring Harness is free to wrap around ?

4) Is the Red #10 Battery wire (The one Burnt in your Car) inside that Harness ?

5) Would not that # 10 Red Bat wire be protected by a Fuseable Link ?

My Dash Wiring Harness is hanging from the vise in my Pictures, almost ready to go back in.

Thanks so much for your help, I have been reading and enjoying your posts for a long time.

Timmy from Trumbull, CT

Last edited by french69ssrs; Nov 26th, 14 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Spacing was weird

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jun 25th, 15, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi All

As an Update to my Original Post, I finished my Wire Harness Rework and Routing last night.

Fred Ficarra responded with some great shots but I was still looking for that area where the Harness goes around the Radiator Support but without the fenders installed, kind of a gray area if you did not take it apart.

I did incorporate the MAD Electrical Upgrades where I needed them or wanted them, talked with Mark at length. I did not want to include the Remote Starter Solenoid and ran the Starter Supply Direct.

I did Add the 3 Wire System for my 12SI Alternator and Keep my Original Voltage Regulator for that ďlookĒ, just buried those wires in the Harness.

It took me a while to figure out where the Harness Clips (6) needed to be positioned so they would go into the Holes along the Radiator Support and Clear the ďWrap AroundĒ section of the Radiator Support where Fred had a Grounding Issue.
I will add some Chafing protection on that Edge.

And there is 1 more Clip I added to the Harness where it comes forward from going over the Wheel Well, this Clip is positioned where it comes from the underneath of the Fender pointing inward, about 10 ĹĒ back from the Radiator Support.

And my Car is an SS/RS, I dressed the Harness for Both Headlight Supply, Park and side marker to come out of the Harness at each end of the Radiator Support, the Center of the Light Bulb is just about where the Radiator Support starts.

Hope this helps anyone installing a Harness and did not have a visual reference.

Timmy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1969 Camaro  Front Radiator Support Wiring install 001.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	114817   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro  Front Radiator Support Wiring install 003.jpg
Views:	1876
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	114825   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro  Front Radiator Support Wiring install 004.jpg
Views:	1591
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	114833  

Name:	1969 Camaro  Front Radiator Support Wiring install 005.jpg
Views:	689
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	114841   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro  Front Radiator Support Wiring install 007.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	114849  

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode