coolant under car..now thinking of guages - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 14, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

coolant under car..now thinking of guages

So checking all fluids I decided to top off radiator coolant. Drove it a few times since then. Today I drove it and when I got back there was maybe 2 cups worth of coolant on the ground coming from the overflow tube. I guess it just expanded and came out when hot.

Which led me to the conclusion I need some gauges. I have a 68 camaro with no console gauge cluster, only fuel and speedo. I keep seeing they sell the console cluster without buying the whole console.

Could I do this? I don't mind cutting up my console if needed or do I really need to buy a different one altogether? I really like the Dakota Digital setup and I guess I would need to get the conversion harness. Not sure what that would consist of but it would be really nice to have a tach, water temp, etc

Is this a big project?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 14, 08:12 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage
Re: coolant under car..now thinking of guages

Get a tri gauge panel and pick an Autometer gauge you like.

I bought mine in 1981, they are Stewart Warner mechanical gauges.
I broke the capillery tube on my water temp gauge and replaced it
with the same size 2 1/16 AutoMeter GS 3837 electric water temp gauge
cause I'm in my spark plugs reading them alot.
Pick the style you like http://autometer.com/cat_gaugeseries.aspx#color_tab-tab

I bought some plexyglass and I'm going to make a smaller gauge holder
that fits into the hole in my 70 Z28 console. This one is too large.

Lamps on. My lighting in my Stewart Warner gauges are terrible compared to this.

No console

Or a 2 gauge holder

A flat 2 gauge holder

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by COPO; Nov 26th, 14 at 08:24 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 07:58 AM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro68CA View Post
So checking all fluids I decided to top off radiator coolant. Drove it a few times since then. Today I drove it and when I got back there was maybe 2 cups worth of coolant on the ground coming from the overflow tube. I guess it just expanded and came out when hot.

Which led me to the conclusion I need some gauges. I have a 68 camaro with no console gauge cluster, only fuel and speedo. I keep seeing they sell the console cluster without buying the whole console.

Could I do this? I don't mind cutting up my console if needed or do I really need to buy a different one altogether? I really like the Dakota Digital setup and I guess I would need to get the conversion harness. Not sure what that would consist of but it would be really nice to have a tach, water temp, etc

Is this a big project?

Console gauges are designed to fit the console with proper mounting screws...no hacking needed, whether stock or Dakota Digital! If your car didn't have factory gauges, you'll need to adapt the gauges to the sensors (water temp, volt or amp gauge, & fuel). I purchased the factory gauges, factory wiring harness and oil pressure line w/fittings for the console, the necessary sensors and an assortment of wire from Amazon to wire from the console connector to all the sensors (a wiring diagram is available on this site). I also purchased a factory tach, used the online template to cut the dash where the fuel gauge was and installed in that location...whola, I now have the factory appearance. If you're mechanically inclined, it's not a big project...can be a PITA for an old car jock with bad knees like myself, but, you can do it if you put your mind to it. Incidentally, if you need any assistance with photo examples, let me know! Good luck

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 08:35 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Someone here also has crafted a drivers side pillar mount for these gauges, and I have seen them mounted on the top of the dash, as well as hanging below the radio. So location location location whatever works best for you you can do. Plenty of resources here in the archives to look at. Factory set will always look best but aftermarket can look good too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 10:16 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

There is a plastic console insert made that mounts in the same place as stock console gauges but is made for four Autometer round gauges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sc 028.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	93330  

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

If you have a center console, you can buy the factory console gauges and cut to fit them in your current console, which is what I plan to do. That way your fuel guage is now in the console, and you'd buy a factory tach for your dash. This keeps it all 'stock' looking, and keeps the giant tach off of your steering column. The gauge cluster with harness and tach is about $800.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

what do you guys think of this option?
comes with everything needed including sending units. Pricy but clean.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271666796307...S:1123&vxp=mtr
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:

It appears the gauge pod for the console gauges is NOT included, so, you'll need to decide if you want the in-console look or the chrome tri-pack panel mounted under the dash. I'm partial to the stock appearance, but, it looks like a great alternative!

Karl / VetteFreak
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 04:19 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Quote:

Wow, you must be rich, the skies the limit then.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteFreak View Post
It appears the gauge pod for the console gauges is NOT included, so, you'll need to decide if you want the in-console look or the chrome tri-pack panel mounted under the dash. I'm partial to the stock appearance, but, it looks like a great alternative!
no, these gauges replace the existing ones i have except its replacing 2 with 5 gauges. i like the idea of the 3 gauge panel and just mount it somewhere but then I have to put a tach somewhere. I'd just like to keep it simple.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
Wow, you must be rich, the skies the limit then.
this option is actually cheaper than the console setup.
Like one guy wrote above, keeping it factory look will cost $800 but to me these 2 gauges with all of the function looks cleaner.

But it would be nice to spend only $200-$400.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 14, 07:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

As above I had the three gauge cluster but bought the plastic console four gauge insert and added the fuel gauge to it. I used Autometer tach and speedometer that I adapted to the stock center dash gauge cluster. I am well under the Dakota or Covan price though I really like their products and may well change later if the occasion arises.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 14, 01:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Max Stewart

Send a message via Yahoo to bigbuckcity

Personally I would not worry to much about the Anti-freezw on the ground.If you recenyly filled the Radiator, especially to the top of the radiator fill lip then drove the car and THEN anti-freeze was coming out of the over flow,,,,,,,,,See if I am not right, and when it cools down, take the cap off and see howmuch of the anti-freeze PUKED out. What I have been told over the years is that the radiator has a level that adjusts itself, and PUKES out the amount of Anti-freeze not needed!!!!!!Works for me, and have run my vehicles for years, with no problems........You might also check your freeze plugs, to see if any are leaking, and yes some times they do leak............HAPPY HOLIDAY'S to ALL GALS/GUY'S and Staff AT TEAM CAMARO, and have a great 2015, remember your ride is going to get another year older also.....I live in Las Vegas's Nevada which is in the Mojave Desert. In my 68 Camaro Coupe which runs a 350 and Turbo 400 and 10 bolt Posi 3:08, and in the summer time it get's very very hot 100 degrees at midnight some day's..And I no longer have any over heating, boiling when cruisin the World Famous STRIP , I run a Flex a Lite Aluminum Radiator with a flex a lite shroud and flex a lite thermostatic fan, and most of the time on the Strip the traffic is bumper to bumper, and the side walks have heavy tourist traffic as well. I loce to br in my 687 Camaro coupe or my 69 Camaro convertible and hear all the tourist comments and pictures taken Got a big laugh one night on the strip in the coupe, some one hollowered out ;NICE NOVA; Ha HA Max Stewart Las Vegas, NV
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 14, 05:08 AM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
no, these gauges replace the existing ones i have except its replacing 2 with 5 gauges. i like the idea of the 3 gauge panel and just mount it somewhere but then I have to put a tach somewhere. I'd just like to keep it simple.
Whoops...my bad! Didn't see the other 4 gauges built in. Viewing those small pictures on a computer screen w/trifocals can be deceiving.

Karl / VetteFreak
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 14, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuckcity View Post
Personally I would not worry to much about the Anti-freezw on the ground.If you recenyly filled the Radiator, especially to the top of the radiator fill lip then drove the car and THEN anti-freeze was coming out of the over flow,,,,,,,,,See if I am not right, and when it cools down, take the cap off and see howmuch of the anti-freeze PUKED out. What I have been told over the years is that the radiator has a level that adjusts itself, and PUKES out the amount of Anti-freeze not needed!!!!!!Works for me, and have run my vehicles for years, with no problems........You might also check your freeze plugs, to see if any are leaking, and yes some times they do leak............HAPPY HOLIDAY'S to ALL GALS/GUY'S and Staff AT TEAM CAMARO, and have a great 2015, remember your ride is going to get another year older also.....I live in Las Vegas's Nevada which is in the Mojave Desert. In my 68 Camaro Coupe which runs a 350 and Turbo 400 and 10 bolt Posi 3:08, and in the summer time it get's very very hot 100 degrees at midnight some day's..And I no longer have any over heating, boiling when cruisin the World Famous STRIP , I run a Flex a Lite Aluminum Radiator with a flex a lite shroud and flex a lite thermostatic fan, and most of the time on the Strip the traffic is bumper to bumper, and the side walks have heavy tourist traffic as well. I loce to br in my 687 Camaro coupe or my 69 Camaro convertible and hear all the tourist comments and pictures taken Got a big laugh one night on the strip in the coupe, some one hollowered out ;NICE NOVA; Ha HA Max Stewart Las Vegas, NV
Yeah i recently filled the radiator and its just spitting out the extra. This is a new car to me so I'm learning her.

I know vegas well, just got back from there 3 weeks ago, and I know how hot it gets! Crazy city you live in! Went to the Palomino Club...and I'm sure you know this place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode