best power window option???? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 14, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

best power window option????

I have read a bunch of old posts about converting to power windows. So what new conversion kits are out that you guys have used and liked or disliked?

Also, does anyone know if the window crank switches can be wired so i can control all windows from drivers seat?

1969 CAMARO Z28 383
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 14, 10:24 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: best power window option????

Yes to both answers.

Use the power windows and hardware as well as the wiring harness out of a GM X-body car. Easiest to find with power windows would be the luxury editions (high priced spread) going down to Parkay; or the entry level Nova.

Starting with the 1976-'79 Cadillac Seville you should find what you want as well as a telescoping tilt steering wheel column, locking doors, auto seek AM/FM Stereo radio with tape player and power antenna, auto dimming headlights, etc. etc. , or for a 1969-'74 Buick Apollo, as after that the 1975-'79 Apollo was called the Buick Skylark. Oldsmobile is the next cheapest marquee so may be some doctor or his nurse practitioner drove an Olds Omega with power windows and door locks. Then you can look at the 1971-'73 Pontiac Ventura or a 1974 GTO (another repackaging of the same old stuffing in a new wrapper). It went back to being the Ventura again in 1975 through 1979 as some Goat lovers were complaining to the SPCA about how they were being treated by Pontiac during the smog era.

Big Dave
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 14, 10:57 AM
Senior Tech
Michael

I converted my 67 to factory looking PW a few years ago using new off the shelf stuff. Just do a search on my name. The post should provide part numbers, business names, prices and details.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 14, 11:26 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

The master switches were on the drivers door where you could operate all four windows. In recent years also allowed the driver to lock others from operating windows. You would install the same master on the drivers door.

As for new conversion kits, New relics makes new GM OEM style motors which are direct bolt ons for replacing dead GM units or converting manual window vehicles to power. You can use the 60's GM OEM style switches, 70's style GM switches or modern ones.

Check with Matt from MCB here in his forum for pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 14, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

I have american autowire classic update kit so i hope i do not need a relay.

1969 CAMARO Z28 383
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 14, 02:32 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

So you already have a system? The window crank style switches don't have a maseter that I know of but you could install a four way rotary switch and select which window you wanted to control. Hoaky but it should work. Contact the manufacture to see what if any master controller switches they make.

In most situations you want a relay since the motors draw full power. The factory relay was mounted under the drivers kick panel. Several aftermarket just use the GM relay and some in fact also use the factory wiring harness.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 14, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

I am converting to power from crank.

1969 CAMARO Z28 383
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 14, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

when I opened my door panels to put in dynamat I noticed that the window motors are not original. It has a made in the USA logo on them but I must say that they move the window FAR too fast and it makes them catch and won't lift the window all the way up due to lack of power. I wish I could replace a gear or something that would make them slower and give them more lift power. So watch what brand you get maybe???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode