Inaccurate Tic Toc Tach - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 14, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Inaccurate Tic Toc Tach

Hi All,

I have been searching for an answer to the problem that I have been having with my Tach. It is a re-pop tic toc tach and it reads substantially more than my dwell type meter when connected in the same manner which is the tach pick up on the HEI. The meter reads about 550 rpm and in the car it reads 900. I read that there is some sort of adjustment on the original version, but wonder if anyone has experience with a re-pop.

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 14, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage
Re: Inaccurate Tic Toc Tach

Don't always believe a tach/dwell meter. Borrow someone elses tach.
I have 2 meters and both read different rpm's and point dwell. That's why they are so cheap to buy.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 14, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
Don't always believe a tach/dwell meter. Borrow someone elses tach.
I have 2 meters and both read different rpm's and point dwell. That's why they are so cheap to buy.
Thanks Mark. Funny that you mention that because I just came in from trying an old hang on unit that I had. It was pretty close to the Dwell meter at about 575 rpm so it seems that the tic tac tach is in need of something. Just not sure what yet. I will also try another tach that I can borrow from a friend as you have suggested..

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 14, 01:03 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

No sure about 69 but the 67 is adjustable.
It has a calibration potentiometer on the circuit board that can be accessed through a hole in the back of the tach. Use a plastic screwdriver from Radio Shack to make the adjustment so nothing gets shorted.

Mark 70 Z28 M22 3.73 Z21 Z87 - Lunati 20120121 Roller Cam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 14, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Yes, I saw that as well. Mine is a 68. I don't recall seeing any informatio that came along with the new unit when I got it sometime ago. I guess I could pull it out and check to see if it is adjustable if I can't get any specific information.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 14, 01:34 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Are you using points ignition or HEI? HEI requires a filter. https://www.camaros.net/techref/elect...lter/index.htm

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 14, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

It is in HEI distributor. I will do some research about a filter. I imagine some sort of resistor?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 14, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I am responding from my phone, so I am not certain if it is coming through correctly. If you attached a link, I will take a look when I get back. Thanks.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 14, 01:47 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

The link is to our reference article to build your own filter. One of these days I will figure out how to put it back on the tech reference menus.

Cheap and easy with parts from Radio Shack. Last time I looked about 6 bucks in parts.

You can buy a filter manufactured by your ignition maker but I would try the DIY one first before parting with cash. It works in 90% of the ignition systems.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 14, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
The link is to our reference article to build your own filter. One of these days I will figure out how to put it back on the tech reference menus.

Cheap and easy with parts from Radio Shack. Last time I looked about 6 bucks in parts.

You can buy a filter manufactured by your ignition maker but I would try the DIY one first before parting with cash. It works in 90% of the ignition systems.
Got it. Thanks

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 14, 09:42 PM
Senior Tech
Chaz

I don't mean to jack this thread but I have a 68 tic toc tach with a mallory unilite ignition. My tach isn't perfectly accurate either and have no filter. Do I need one with the unilite?

68 Camaro

Some mods...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 05:04 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Each HEI system is different in terms of support for older tachometers. But in general if your ignition control box/system doesn't offer a specialized "Tach port" for older tachometers you will need a filter to prevent spits, jumps and general inaccuracies in the read out of the tachometer. Some systems may even damage older tachometers over time without them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode