Kick Panel speaker suggestion- WITHOUT replacing kick panel - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage
Kick Panel speaker suggestion- WITHOUT replacing kick panel

I have a 1969 coup
I know that there are many kick panel threads out there but all seem to discuss replacing kick panels with ones with speakers in them. My goal is to simply cut a hole in the pillar space and put my own speaker in that spot. I'm looking for any specific speaker and grill setup that may fit. I'm not looking for super high end stuff, just something better than the dash speaker. I understand that the speaker will need to mount on top of the kick panel with a hole cut to fit the magnet in the space in the pillar.

Here is one speaker that I found

If this would work, where do I find a grill cover? Would any work? I am clearly not a audiophile!

I also see that there are ? stock repro types. Will this work as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 07:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: Kick Panel speaker suggestion- WITHOUT replacing kick panel

I used the Kappa speakers and this template to cut the OEM kick panels:

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 07:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi ttwo and Mike

I worked last night on the same thing you are asking about.

I have a 69 and my Original Kick Panels had at one time (80’s I bet) Round Speakers installed, the installation was horrible to say the least.

The hole was cut where too much is missing for me to install the 4”x6” Plate Speaker’s I bought.
The nice thing about having this hole was I was able to see that “Structure Hole” you are asking about and laid out the Hole outline on my Kick panel with Masking tape.

I can measure mine and give you the Dimensions of where the Hole Ends. The Kick Panel Banks up against the Door Jam lip and then is kind of Located by the Duct part into the Cowl area. That open area is perpendicular to the bottom of the Kick Panel.

I also found there are not allot of Speaker Grills out there from what I saw.
I bought these -
15-PR462V2 - Memphis 4" x 6" 2-Way Power Reference Coaxial Speakers w/ Swivel Tweeter, very nice. I am not looking at putting a big System in my car, just something nice and an upgrade like USB, IPod and Blue Tooth and around 200 Watts.</SPAN>

I did order a set of Grills from eBay for $16.00 w/ S&H, I will see how they Fit and Look.

I also bought New Kick Panels and do not like the Fit as the Tab for the Door Jam is in a different location by about ¾”. I’ll make my Old ones work.

My big problem is the Oversize Hole in my Panels, and thinking of how I could Cover that up, I needed a Black type of Plastic that had a Little “Texture/ Grain” to it.
Was at Kmart with my wife (Embarrassing for me) and saw those Attic Storage containers – Black with a Lid big enough to make 2 Picture Frame/ Doublers to go over the Crappy hole – Perfect.
Cut it to like 7 1/8” x 5 ¼” on the Radial arm saw, a little sanding and Scotchbrite, Perfect. Even heated it with a heat gun and put a little Contour to it.
I will post Pictures when I am done.

Timmy

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
I used the Kappa speakers and this template to cut the OEM kick panels:

if you get a chance can you show me the kappa speaker with the grill installed!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

I installed those Infinity Kappas in my front setup. These stock repros covers will work, you just have to paint them.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/camaro-r...1967-1969.html

If you have something like a basic Retrosound head unit, the 4x6's suck. I'm thinking of running a separate amp to those speakers alone, and seeing if I can salvage any sound quality, but straight from the head unit, might as well just use the rear speakers with sub.

Later, I may get something like this for some decent sound out of the front end:
http://www.camarocentral.com/product_p/int-827.htm

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 07:53 AM
Kevin

Here are my kick panel speakers https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ighlight=kappa

They did not put out enough volume with the top down (volume was fine for most songs, but not for Led Zep!)

here is the whole build https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=232097

Kevin

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 08:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwo View Post
if you get a chance can you show me the kappa speaker with the grill installed!
I should have said Kappas in OEM style kick panels. My originals were in terrible shape.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I have a retrosound model 2 stereo and maybe I could put in a small amplifier somewhere hidden to drive the Kappas and some rear 6x9 which I already have installed. Anyone with a small amplifier that may tuck under the dash or will I have to mount in trunk?

Will the grill simply fit over the Kappa speakers without additional holes?

Do I have to put some sound blocking material behind the speakers?

French 69 I would love dementions as well!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 10:04 AM
Senior Tech
Brent

I used the same Kappas and OEM speaker cover--they sound is great and it look very original.

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Here are my kick panel speakers https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ighlight=kappa

They did not put out enough volume with the top down (volume was fine for most songs, but not for Led Zep!)

here is the whole build https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=232097

Did you need an amplifier with this setup in front? I think this is the route I want to go if I can simply cut a space for the magnets to go in, mount the speaker ON TOP of the kick panel, and then put the 'factory repro' covers on top. Do you think this will work without an amp from a retrosound model 2 head?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Careful with what covers u get, espec on drivers side... if protudes to high above the kick panel surface it ends up getting scratched and damaged....a couple mm makes a big difference I found between my 1st set and second set of speakers.
Quote:
simply cut a hole in the pillar space
There are holes already in the frame... keep in mind cutting frames in these areas can compromise the integrity of the strength of the car frame.
I had 2 issues getting speakers to fit the frame holes... both the depth of the speakers and the over all height width
The covers I re painted to match the kick panel..

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steptoe View Post
Careful with what covers u get, espec on drivers side... if protudes to high above the kick panel surface it ends up getting scratched and damaged....a couple mm makes a big difference I found between my 1st set and second set of speakers.

There are holes already in the frame... keep in mind cutting frames in these areas can compromise the integrity of the strength of the car frame.
I had 2 issues getting speakers to fit the frame holes... both the depth of the speakers and the over all height width
The covers I re painted to match the kick panel..

I would NOT cut the pillar but rather the panel over the space in the pillar. I'm hoping that the speaker will simply attach to the kick panel along with the OEM speaker cover shown above. I hope the kick panel is strong enough to hold the speaker without having to 'mount it' to the frame in any way...
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 01:56 PM
Kevin

You do not need to cut any metal behind the kick panels to get the Kappas in there or mount it to metal. Kick panel holds it fine. Yes, it is a tight fit and does make the speaker grill push out a little, maybe 1/4" to 3/8". You can run these speakers right from the headunit (providing the headunit can meet the specs)

2 ohm, Peak Power Handling: 180 watts | RMS Power Handling: 5-60 watts

I wanted to run a sub and rear speakers, balanced, so I had to put a 4ch amp under the dash (tight!). See my build link in my earlier post.

Kevin

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 06:48 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

ttwo
I took several Dimensions and Pictures.
I felt the best would be the Center of where my R/H Kick Panel Speaker would be. If you get New Speakers, Mine came with a Paper Template for cutting the Hole.
The distance from the Bottom of the Panel was 4 5/16" to the Center of my Speaker.
I "Eyeballed" the Face of the Jam Wrap around to the Center of the Speaker, 3 5/8".
I also took a Pic of my R/H Kick Panel with the crappy hole, my Repair doubler in place and with my Memphis Speaker Clecoed in place. And one showing the Face of the Jam Wraparound.
Timmy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro Kick Panel Speakers 001.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	94105   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro Kick Panel Speakers 002.jpg
Views:	1224
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	94113   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro Kick Panel Speakers 003.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	94121  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro Kick Panel Speakers 006.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	94129   Click image for larger version

Name:	1969 Camaro Kick Panel Speakers 007.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	94137  
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 14, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Wow that speaker fits pretty flat in there! These pics will be super helpful thanks!!! I ordered some speakers and grilles today
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode