1968 no start when lights on - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 14, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Chuck

1968 no start when lights on

I have a question on my 1968 Camaro RS/SS. It starts great until you either have your foot on the brakes or the parking lights on, then it acts like you have a bad solenoid and won't start. As soon as you turn the light source off it starts right up. It seems to be connected with that circuit somehow? I would appreciate any ideas on what might cause this. Wiring is not my strong suit.Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 14, 10:05 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 1968 no start when lights on

When happening does the starter Run or just click? I would check the brake switch and the headlight switches for dead shorts and or bad grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 14, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Do the lights dim greatly when trying to crank the starter?
Is battery up to charge?
Is fan belt tight?
How old is the battery?
What is the CCA's of the battery?
Is the original design of alternator/voltage regulator installed?

If lights dim, then not enough power from battery.
Either battery is too low on charge due to loose belt, or regulator set alittle too low coupled with not enough drive time above 2000 rpm.
If too small of battery, 400 CCA's or less and a fully charged battery, battery does not have enough power to supply the current demand.
Another factor is battery cable wire size - min cable/wire size is 1 AWG with molded clamps - no clamp-on clamps.
Also include clean battery terminals, both ends, AND terminals at alt BATT stud and the horn relay buss bar and at the battery junction block next to the battery.
Wire brushing these items help.
If you have the OE design voltage regulator, you may want to change it out to an electronic regulator, P/N Wells VR715, as this will help in keeping battery charged at lower rpm's - don't forget in adding the ground strap from the original VR.
Be sure to change the alt belt at the same time.

A troubleshooting idea, leave battery charger on battery overnight.
Remove charger just before starting, then start with lights on
If she starts, low charged battery (loose belt, dirty connections, not enough drive time) or too old of battery not keeping a charge or a new battery with a bad cell, too small of cable gauge.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 14, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Chuck

Thank you both so much for your input. I will try all the above mentioned ideas and see if they cure my problem. I am busy the next couple days but will get to them as soon as possible and let you know. Thanks again
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 14, 09:24 AM
Senior Tech
Bobby

I had an issue that I just resolved last night that I thought was related to my starter. When turning the key I would only get a click from my starter. At first I thought it was an issue with the gear in the starter not being able to engage? Lights and everything seem be fine and bright so I did not suspect that the battery was low. Even gave the starter a whack with a hammer in-case the solenoid was stuck, still would not start? Turned out that the negative battery cable was not as tight as it could have been, was able to wiggle it a little. Couple of turns on the nut to tighten it solved all my issues. So although my system was somewhat grounded I have now learned that it needs to be very grounded.

So as big as an issue that I thought I had the solution was very simple, so I would suggest first checking that?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 14, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Chuck

Thanks for the input it seems a bad or weak battery is the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode