Aftermarket Dash Gauge Wiring - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 14, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Todd

Aftermarket Dash Gauge Wiring

I am getting ready to install the Dakota Digital VHX Series gauges in my 69 Camaro with the Console Gauges and would like to know the best way of wiring in to the original turn signals, brake warning lights, high beam indicator, etc. without cutting the factory harness... The factory wire harness goes right in to the bulb sockets..
I could use T Taps, but would rather not... I would like to leave the factory harness as intact as possible..

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 14, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Todd

Dakota Digital Gauge Installation

I pulled the trigger on a set of Dakota Digital VHX Series Gauges with the Console Gauge set for my 69 Camaro. I went with Black Alloy face with white numbers and orange needles..
I would like to know the best way of wiring in to the original turn signals, brake warning lights, high beam indicator, etc. without cutting the factory harness... The factory wire harness goes right in to the bulb sockets..
I could use T Taps, but would rather not... I would like to leave the factory harness as intact as possible..

Thanks..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 14, 06:35 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Aftermarket Dash Gauge Wiring

I merged your duplicate thread. Remember only post once.

You can make your own connectors with readily available blade connectors that will slide into the original harness bulb connections, then tape and secure the connections. There will always be the risk of them coming loose but your harness will remain intact.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 14, 12:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

You could ways cut the factory plug off and just plug in the applicable wires to the VHX unit. Hang on to the plug in case you ever wanted to go back to original. I have them and I love them.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 14, 02:43 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
You could ways cut the factory plug off and just plug in the applicable wires to the VHX unit. Hang on to the plug in case you ever wanted to go back to original. I have them and I love them.
X2. Cut the harness and save. It's easier to splice it back together then it is to mod the bulb sockets to the new LED indicators.

In reality why would you ever go back?

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 14, 04:31 PM
Senior Tech
Shawn

Garage

I'll be starting this tomorrow as well, well the tearing out and cleaning phase anyways. I ordered the carbon fiber face with blue lit needles and console gauges. If you figure out any tips let me know, I'll be sure to post mine here as well. Good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Todd

I have my gauges pretty much wired up and ready to go...I still need to hook up the speedometer, and calibrate it.. I used T-Tap connectors on the stock harness , tapping into the turn signals, brake warning light, and high beam indicator..Trying to find a spot for the control box took some planning.. (mine is an A/C car) I found a spot on the upper dash area above the radio and used double sided tape to secure it.. This spot works good because it keeps the wires well out of the way and hidden, but still accessible of needed.
I installation is pretty easy, but time consuming.. The bezels don't quite fit in the dash the way the instructions show..They fit in the factory clusters perfect, but the instructions say to bend the cat5 cable flat on the back of the gauges to make them sit flush.It seems like there would be too much strain on the connectors and they will not sit flush, so I trimmed the bottom part of the openings so that the cables clear..
I have a 2004r trans and the supplied speedometer sending unit does not clear the trans tunnel, so I ordered a flexible cable from Dakota Digital to hook up the sending unit.
So far the quality of the unit looks top notch and I would definitely recommend it to someone looking for custom gauges.. They seem expensive, but for what you get for the money.. they are well worth the price.. The only critique I have so far is that both turn signals are located in the left, speedometer gauge, not left turn signal in the left cluster, and the right turn signal in the right cluster like stock..I guess I will get used to it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode