Remote solenoid switch not activating? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 14, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Remote solenoid switch not activating?

Hi, I installed a solenoid switch to address my heat soak issues. I have everything wired up but when I turn the key the starter will not engage. I had a friend turn the key to start position while I put a test light to the solenoid. I have power from the battery to the switch, purple wire (ignition) but not to the main wire to the starter.

I suspected it might be the ground. I added a ground wire on one of the mounting screws to the engine block (block is grounded to frame via ground straps). Still nothing.

How much voltage is needed to activate the solenoid switch?

This is the solenoid I am using - model # SAS-4202.

Any other suggestions I should try? Thanks!

Last edited by Deevis69; Dec 15th, 14 at 06:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 06:28 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Remote solenoid switch not activating?

There are several ways to wire a Ferd type solenoid to accomplish what you are trying to do. You didn't say how you wired yours, but I suspect you have it wired incorrectly. Here is one way to wire it - not saying this is the way to wire it, but it's the only diagram I have handy, and it'll work.

I prefer a Bosch style automotive relay. Much smaller, blends in with the background, and doesn't have the F word attached to it. Accomplishes the same thing. You can mount it on one of the heater box studs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 06:48 AM
John

Garage

You need a jumper from the Batt to the S terminal

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

I purchased and used Mark's set up from MAD. I installed the jumper on the starter. I mounted the solenoid switch close to the battery and extended the purple wire to the front of the car.

Do you think it might not have enough volts to trigger the remote solenoid?
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 09:12 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Is your battery in the trunk?

Describe exactly how you have it wired - every connection. That sort of useful information

Per the link you gave above, "Coil Voltage 6 to 36 VDC". That's the voltage range in which the solenoid works. Hopefully you have at least 6 volts. Still think you miswired something - possibly a dud solenoid though.

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 09:14 AM
John

Garage

Run from batt to solenoid. Run from opposite site of solenoid to starter. Run purple from switch to solenoid. With the jumper you do not need to run purple back to starter.

The blue wire on mine is from the switch. The purple is for my in tank fuel pump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5653.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	95081

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 09:18 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Yes - purple from ign switch to"S" on the new solenoid.

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Here is how I have it wired:

Battery up front and solenoid mounted on the fender (mounting screw ground wire to engine block) > battery to solenoid switch > solenoid switch to starter > jumper on the starter to the starter solenoid (removed purple wire)

Purple wire rerouted and extended to the "S" terminal of the solenoid switch. Although it is not labeled on the switch. The switch has two terminals and I hooked it to the side where the battery connects to the solenoid switch.

I will check the voltage later tonight with a multi-meter. I also have an extra solenoid switch I can try.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 10:15 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deevis69 View Post
Here is how I have it wired:

Battery up front and solenoid mounted on the fender (mounting screw ground wire to engine block) > battery to solenoid switch > solenoid switch to starter > jumper on the starter to the starter solenoid (removed purple wire)

Purple wire rerouted and extended to the "S" terminal of the solenoid switch. Although it is not labeled on the switch. The switch has two terminals and I hooked it to the side where the battery connects to the solenoid switch.

I will check the voltage later tonight with a multi-meter. I also have an extra solenoid switch I can try.
With 12v on the purple the solenoid should click pretty loud and with your multi meter you should have continuity (zero resistance) between the lug the battery goes to and the lug from the solenoid to the starter

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Hi, I installed a solenoid switch to address my heat soak issues. I have everything wired up but when I turn the key the starter will not engage. I had a friend turn the key to start position while I put a test light to the solenoid. I have power from the battery to the switch, purple wire (ignition) but not to the main wire to the starter.

I suspected it might be the ground. I added a ground wire on one of the mounting screws to the engine block (block is grounded to frame via ground straps). Still nothing.

How much voltage is needed to activate the solenoid switch?

This is the solenoid I am using - model # SAS-4202.

Any other suggestions I should try? Thanks!
Looking at the specs for the SAS-4202, I see it is connected as in wiring diagram #2 on the spec page. Not quite sure how to interpret that schematic compared to the description in the specifications tab.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

@onovakind67 - how did you determine it was wiring diagram #2?

Also, looking at that specifications chart. Which one of those columns means voltage needed to trigger the solenoid?

A. Coil Volts
B. Coil
C. Pickup

Each has a different voltage rating (assuming that # is in volts).

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 01:32 PM
John

Garage

The 1st thing you need to do is verify the contact is closing when you put 12v to the S terminal on the solenoid with the solenoid grounded.

If not the unit is bad or not grounded.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 01:53 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
@onovakind67 - how did you determine it was wiring diagram #2?

Also, looking at that specifications chart. Which one of those columns means voltage needed to trigger the solenoid?

A. Coil Volts
B. Coil
C. Pickup

Each has a different voltage rating (assuming that # is in volts).

In the wiring diagram column for the relay SAS-4202 I see the number 2.

'Coil volts' is the nominal operating voltage, like 12v for a car.
'Coil' appears to be the coil resistance. Note that the HDI relays have a smaller coil resistance than the C relays, meaning they will pick up at a lower voltage, but dissipate more power in the coil so you can't operate them continuously.
'Pickup' is the voltage at which the relay will pick up. Relays always pick up at a voltage less than the nominal operating voltage.

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

@Vega$69 - is that what you meant by "You need a jumper from the Batt to the S terminal"?

Would it be safe for me to just take a wire from the battery and tap the S terminal?
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 02:12 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
@Vega$69 - is that what you meant by "You need a jumper from the Batt to the S terminal"?

Would it be safe for me to just take a wire from the battery and tap the S terminal?
The jumper goes on the starter. If not then the motor will run but the starter will not engage.

Yes you can touch a jumper form the BATT+ to the S term on the solenoid.

Make sure car is in Neutral.

I would disconnect the Cable that goes from Solenoid to Starter and the jump BATT+ to S term and measure voltage on Solenoid lug that the starter cable attaches to. If you get 12V then the issue is at the starter. If no 12V then the Solenoid is bad.

69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
heat soak, solenoid, starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode