Radio rookie: Help on improving stereo sound! - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage
Radio rookie: Help on improving stereo sound!

I have a model 2 retrosound stereo with 25 watt per channel output. I have just installed two Kappa 4x6 speakers 60 watt to the kick panel to get better sound than the dash speakers. I have rear sony 6x9 3 way speakers. I am NOT trying to enter any contests at all, but want better than factory sound from my stereo. I've researched and can anyone comment (or give their own advise) on the following additions:

1) getting a simple amp to increase the power to the rear speakers only giving better bass and sound while keeping the fronts only powered by the Model 2 Retrosound 25w per speaker

2) adding a powered subwoofer like Sound Ordnance B-8PTD and I guess simply attach the rear speakers to it and again leave the fronts powered by the stereo itself.

3) Get an amplifier with 4 channels and power all of the speakers, knowing that the 6x9 will give a good amount of bass if powered better.

I don't really want to get an amp (or two) AND a separate sub as I'm not interested in all the space that it will take up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 11:05 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: Radio rookie: Help on improving stereo sound!

For starters, the head unit kind of sucks when it comes to driving speakers, even just the 4x6's. Grab yourself a nice 4-channel amp, drive all 4 speakers off of it, then connect your sub-out to your powered sub. Should get some decent sound from there. I have those 4x6's as well, and they really should put out better quality sound for the money, but they are 4x6's after all.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

So will the powered sub also power the rear speakers?

What is a good 4 channel power amplifier to purchase? I again am NOT entering any contests. Would I mount it under the dash or is it best to mount in the trunk?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 11:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I found that 25W/channel just isnt enough to keep up with a loud exhaust. I'm eventually going to get a 5-way amp and put it in the trunk mounted to a board which will be mounted to the "wall" between the trunk and passenger compartment. I plan on carpeting the wall and mounting a 10" sub directly to it with the cone facing forward. I'll carpet the whole thing as well.

My goal is to keep the 4x6 2-way in the front, 6x9 Sony's in the rear deck and sub in the trunk. With the right amp I should be able to balance the levels to keep the sound even throughout the cabin.

The fader just isn't cutting it for me because the front speaker doesn't have enough bass to even out the sound. When I drive it I have the kids in the back and if I turn it up enough to hear the 6x9's the kids complain. If I put in the amp and sub I should be able to turn down the 6x9's while keeping the fronts loud enough for my wife and I to hear and using the sub to fill in the lows since low frequencies travel so much better.

...then again all that might change after I dynamat the trunk this weekend. Hopefully that'll cut back the exhaust drone some.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 12:35 PM
Kevin

Here is my system build: an Alpine 75x4 amp under dash plus a kenwood powered sub in the trunk. it overcomes the wind noise nicely with the top down!

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=232097

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 14, 02:21 PM
John

Garage

I've used this on several 1st Gens. One with Retrosound 2

http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...ts/bsd100.html

Sounds great IMHO

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 16, 04:10 PM
Tech Team
Howard

I'd go with option 1. You could get a 4 channel amp and bridge it to send all the power to the rears. If you're not happy with that, you could unbridge to all 4 channels. Option 1 should also allow you to use the built in faderror in your head unit. Just make sure your alternator provides enough power for whatever amp you choose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode