Reverse Lights - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 14, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Reverse Lights

Hello all! I am 98% done on a Tremec TKO-600 conversion. Prior to this I had an Muncie M20. There were no reverse lights and no wiring to the old transmission. I donít see any wiring at all under the car. The Tremec trans has an internal switch for the reverse lights. Im guessing I can bring power to the switch from a variety of sources and run a wire all the way back into the trunk. But Im wondering if there is a more desirable way of doing it. For example, can I tie into the harness somewhere by the firewall or under the dash? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 14, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Reverse Lights

Power from ACC spade on fuse panel, then body harness, connector in drvr side kick panel, may have a green wire for reverse lights.
If so, add sockets in trunk and ground wire to fuel filler cover holding screw on pass side of tube cover.
If no wire, then run a 14GA wire to the bank under the door sill plate - follow body harness.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 14, 07:16 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

If it was a stock 4spd, I'm pretty sure there is a connector in the firewall, near the drivers side midway down that connects to the trans. That's how mine was wired. Unfortunately the other half was ripped out when they rebuilt the trans, so I'm not 100% sure.

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 14, 07:21 PM
Senior Tech
AJ

Found it, hope this helps:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=94818
May be completely off being you've got a 5spd.

Post #2 is 67-8 the rest is about a '69

The only Mustang I'd ever own is a Fender.

'68 333" Camaro
'14 5.0 Mustang
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 14, 05:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

Should be plug on the firewall. Round plug by the steering column. Under the dash there's a pigtail that has 2 green wires if I remember right. They sell both parts of it. My wiring from the firewall to the trans was missing also. But the other half was under the dash.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 14, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Thanks everyone. I am pretty sure it is a factory 4 speed car. But how can I know for sure?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 14, 06:10 AM
Senior Tech
John

Is / was there a factory hole in the transmission tunnel where the shifter would stick through?

1969 X11 Super Sport Coupe - L48 350cid/300hp - MC1 HD 3 Speed Muncie - Olympic Gold & Black - Numbers Matching
Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 14, 07:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

Shifter tunnel hole. Clutch pedal. Steering column shouldn't have any linkage on it. Back up light plug on firewall which we have already talked about. If it's a 67 you can decode the trim tag. Probably more I'm forgetting. The back up light wires are green and pink . What year is it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 14, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Its a ’69. When I bought it 7 years ago, there was an automatic in it, However, there was also a clutch pedal and hole in the tunnel. I put a muncie 4 speed in at that time. I don’t have the car in front of me, but pretty sure I would have recognized if there was linkage on/in the steering column….must be a factory 4 speed.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 14, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Oh, and just remembered, the clutch pedal ignition safety switch is functional in the car
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 14, 09:02 AM
Senior Tech
Bill

69 automatic reverse lights worked thru neutral safety switch on horseshoe shifter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode