MSD Box - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 14, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

MSD Box

Considering getting the basic MSD 6 box. My car has a crate motor, MSD distributor & coil and I've read the box would be simple to install with these. Maybe just need a harness and plug it in? (and + and -)

Problem is i don't know which distributor I have and not sure if it even matters which model....does it?

and then installing a tach it will go to the MSD box instead of the coil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 14, 09:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Re: MSD Box

Yes to your last question It has a tach output. With a crate motor I would not run a box, I don't think its necessary. I had one on a 400+hp motor in a 69 with 4:11 gears and I don't think it made any difference. It was just something to look cool and more wires to clutter up the engine bay IMO. The only reason I would use one is in a manual car that you want to add a rev limiter to but most newer MSD distributors have that built in now.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 14, 04:51 AM
John

Garage

You don't need a box and if you do install one you'll see Zero difference.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 14, 06:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tory

Hi Ken,
I would use a MSD 8360 Pro Billet Ready To Run Distributor. You don't need a box.

Tory
1968 Camaro Coupe
1964 Malibu SS Unrestored 36,000 Mile Survivor
1964 Malibu SS Hardtop
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1968 Malibu L-79, 1 of 4082 ~ SOLD
1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Unrestored 15,000 Mile Survivor
1955 Chevrolet Nomad
1984 Hurst Olds with Factory Sunroof, 1 of 99 ~ SOLD
1992 Camaro 396 LS, 4L60, 9" Posi w /3.50:1 Gear Set
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 14, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Ken

ok thanks. I was starting to wonder if I needed one after doing some more reading. Basically, I just thought it would help with my starting. Sometimes the car fires right up, others not so much.

I haven't owned a carb car in a long time so maybe this is just the nature of a carb.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 14, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

If you have a HEI now the module has to be disconnected and the green and purple wires from the MSD box placed on to the green and white wires coming off of the reluctor's pick-up coil that triggers the HEI module. There is usually a set of two mall adapter wires that feeds into the HEI to make this connection included in the ignition box but if not you will have to make your own out of 18 gage wire or buy the adapter wire from MSD. You can not use the coil leads coming out of a small cam HEI or the internal taps in the cap to do this or you will fry the MSD box.

A lot of people swear by MSD ignition modules the rest swear at them as they are very, very sensitive to any fluctuation in voltage or changes in polarity (as with any transistorized device). They are not very robust and could be protected by diodes from reversing polarity or resisters and LC circuits to prevent transient voltage spikes from getting through to the box. But this way they hope to sell you a replacement if it is out of warranty or "improperly installed" which is a convenient out should you fry it.

In addition to the programmable Rev Limiter with the 6AL digital you get:
Multiple sparks at low RPM
Above 3200 RPM you get a higher amperage (hotter) output in a single spark (voltage is determined by the resistance in the secondary circuit such as plug gap not what it says on the coil).

Speaking of coils it requires a special coil as the standard points coil has too high a resistance to offer you the dwell time (coil saturation) that the box can deliver with a dedicated coil.

Finally to get the easier starting you have to jump to a 7AL-3 to get more than one RPM controlled plug. With the 7AL you get everything the 6Al has but it includes a second rev limiter just for burn outs. It also includes a retard function to allow easier starts. You can also stack the chips to control nitrous by backing off on ignition lead, as well as boost reference if blown.

Both system fire the spark plugs. The CD system will charge the ignition coil to full power in half the time an induction system will (which is why you need a special coil) allowing higher RPM operation than you can get out of an HEI (with the 10AL you can match the output to fire as high an RPM as a magneto does it just wont put out that much juice ). Since most cars RPM is limited not by the ignition but by a hydraulic cam aside from a bit of fall off at high RPM with the HEI as it runs out of power and heat builds up you probably won't notice the difference.

Big Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode