Retrosound Model 2 - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Retrosound Model 2

So my birthday was on Saturday, and as I kid when your birthday is right before Xmas you sometimes get a little gypped with a combo birthday/xmas gift.

But when your wife gets you a Retrosound Model 2 you could not be happier.

The original AM radio worked OK but when you really enjoy listening to some tunes an AM radio just does not cut it.

Here is a comparison of the difference in size between the two radios.

Here is picture of everything that comes with the radio, more than you will need when installing in a 68 Camaro.

There was a lot of trial and error in trying to determine the mounting of the two brackets, the shaft length and what spacers to use, and I mean a lot of trial and error. In hind sight I could have moved the bracket closer to the front of the radio, moved the shafts back and used less spacers but when it fit really good the way it was at the moment I decided not to mess with it.

Here are the dimensions of the location of the bracket, the shafts and the spacers that I used.

Bracket, .45 back from the corner of the front surface.

Shaft length extending 1.875 out from the bracket.

Spacers that were used.

I used quick connect terminials to make it easy to connect and disconnect if needed.

Here is the finished product with all that is left to do is wipe the finger prints of every surface

Next to come will be some pictures of the speakers I used and perhaps upload some sound clips, with a review of the controls to follow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My YouTube LS3 Engine Swap Page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My LS3 Engine Swap Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 02:58 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: Retrosound Model 2

Hello from the East side of the State. Happy Birthday, (mine was on the 11th).

It looks awesome, nice job.

Did the dash require any cutting in order to fit the new unit? Hard to completely tell the size comparison of the two.

On an unrelated topic, I will be using one of your photos (thank you in advance) to post a question and avoid derailing your thread.

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

There was absolutley no modification to the dash needed. The face plate is specified when ordered for the particular car that it will be going into and everything else is completely adjustable.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 03:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixty8Camaro View Post
There was absolutley no modification to the dash needed. The face plate is specified when ordered for the particular car that it will be going into and everything else is completely adjustable.
That's what I thought I had read in one of my mags, just making sure.

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

It is amaizing how heavy and large the original radio was! I couldn't believe the dash would hold such a large 'box'! It was like a huge weight loss when I replaced my stereo with the Model 2!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 06:52 AM
John

Garage

Looks great. Put a couple in 69s. No cutting and imho they look and sound great plus the iPod and Bluetooth features are nice.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 08:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttwo View Post
It is amaizing how heavy and large the original radio was! I couldn't believe the dash would hold such a large 'box'! It was like a huge weight loss when I replaced my stereo with the Model 2!
Between that and going light on Christmas dinner you should pick up .001 and have better gas mileage.

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 10:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi All
Do any of these "Retro" systems have the MP3/ USB ports accessible from the front of the Radio ?

I am almost ready to "pull the Trigger" on a Radio. I have the Original AM unit and am not looking at putting a "SEMA show" System in my Car.
I just want a nice system to run the IPod/ USB linked stuff.

Heck, Bluetooth is Futuristic for me, I will have to have my Kids show me how that works.

Or if they are on the Back, what kind of Hidden routing - Where do you Hook up to an IPod or USB cable.
I was considering running a few extension cables to my Console Glovebox.

Thanks
Timmy

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 12:26 PM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by french69ssrs View Post
Hi All
Do any of these "Retro" systems have the MP3/ USB ports accessible from the front of the Radio ?

I am almost ready to "pull the Trigger" on a Radio. I have the Original AM unit and am not looking at putting a "SEMA show" System in my Car.
I just want a nice system to run the IPod/ USB linked stuff.

Heck, Bluetooth is Futuristic for me, I will have to have my Kids show me how that works.

Or if they are on the Back, what kind of Hidden routing - Where do you Hook up to an IPod or USB cable.
I was considering running a few extension cables to my Console Glovebox.

Thanks
Timmy
Cable and connector back only. We ran them both to the center console on one and on another for Ipod into the glove bock

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Once your phone is paired via blue tooth you should be all set, shortly after I turn on the radio it automatically starts playing from my phone which I can then control from the knobs and buttons on the radio. Turn the car off, go into work, come out start the car, turn radio on and it starts playing from where I left off.

The USB connections which there are two of them are just as nice, currently have over 800 songs taking up 4gb of an 8gb stick. I prefer to set it to just randomly play songs and if it gets to an artist that I like I just hit the middle button to turn off random play and then control it up or down for the rest of the songs by that artist.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 07:29 PM
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

The model two has a USB port with a cable and I routed it to my ash tray where it sits. I plug in my jump drive with mp3s. Works great. I could find no better radio out there than the model 2
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 14, 09:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi all
I do not have Blue Tooth and Have most of my Music in my IPod.
I was looking at the Retrosound Model 2 Specs and it has 3 Speaker outputs.

I have a Left and Right Kick Panel 4" x 6" Coax speakers and plan on installing 2 Speakers in my Rear Package tray. How does the 3 outputs run the 4 Speakers.

I am not an "Audio Guy"

Merry Christmas to all and thanks for the Help this past year from the Team Camaro Bloggers.

Timmy

November 1968 Build Date
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 14, 09:20 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I'm installing an amp and some good rear speakers with 4x6 kick speakers today. I'll give comments when done
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 14, 09:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

I still have to Buy my Wife a Christmas Present.
Don't think I'll get out to the garage Today

November 1968 Build Date
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 14, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by french69ssrs View Post
How does the 3 outputs run the 4 Speakers.

I am not an "Audio Guy"

Timmy
I think you are refering to the three sets of preamp outputs that make it easier to add amps and subs to your vehicle.

The system has the typical wirering to hook up your front and rear speakers shown in this picture.

It also has Dual RCA pre-outs plus subwoofer output for external amplifiers. I was planning on adding a small under dash amp but figured I would wait and see how it sounds first with out one. Needless to say after getting it up and running I won't be adding an amp, for my needs it sounds great without one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode