Unplugging 68 ignition switch - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Len

Unplugging 68 ignition switch

I am getting a new ignition switch for Christmas....I know how to pull the lock and bezel....Will I be able to reach up and unplug the harness from the switch or do I have to remove the gage cluster for access?...Looks like it has three clips..is it a bear to unplug?...is there a trick to it?....Thanks Len
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

Re: Unplugging 68 ignition switch

Put the key into the ignition switch and turn it to the acc position. Then take a small piece of wire and stick into the tiny hole to release the key tumblers. Once you have the key tumbler out you can unscrew the bezel and remove the switch. Depending on if your harness it routed correctly and not all tangled up you should be able to pull the switch down far enough to remove it from the harness. There are 3 tabs you will need to press inward to release the harness from the switch.

I hope this helps & good luck..
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 14, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Len

Thanks Nick...I am glad I don't have to drop the column to remove the gauge cluster...I will give a go on Friday....Len

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 14, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Len

I installed my new ign switch this morning...after pulling the lock and bezel there was enough slack in the harness to hang the switch downward but still could only get one hand on it reaching up under the dash...I could see the switch through the hole in the dash it came out of...It has three locking tabs on the plug that were impossible to compress and pull at the same time with one hand...I was able to slip a pre looped tyrap over the switch and cinch it down to compress the three tabs at the same time....I then used a long straight slot screw driver through the dash hole to carefully wedge the plug off the switch... After sniping the tyrap I was able to easily put the plug on the new switch with one hand....The new switch has a tighter positive feel to it and as an added bonus the key buzzer works again.....Thanks Len
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode