LED taighlight problem, tail lights and brake light issue - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 14, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

LED taighlight problem, tail lights and brake light issue

I have searched for this problem here on the forum to no avail...

For christmas I got the LED taighlights and back up lights from Speedway that fit into the standard old bulb sockets. I cut off the olf sockets and hardwired the new LEDs into the trunk wiring harness. Added a new LED flasher with the external ground. Tested as I went and everything is wired correctly and grounded externally well (I think). Here is the problem..

Headlights on, both tailights on fine
-Brake pedal depressed both brake lights on brighter as they should
-Blinkers work right and left when Brake pedal is not depressed as they should
-Brake pedal depressed, turn signal on Left, left tail light blinks and Right brake light stays lit
-Brake pedal depressed, turn signal on Right, Right tail light blinks, Left brake light GOES OUT
-Here is the more wierd part, If you barely push the turn signal lever for a Right turn (brakes depressed), the Left brake light stays on and the Right turn signal blinks. If the turn signal lever is pushed fully until it clicks, then the Left brake goes out and the Right turn signal blinks.
I used the same color wires for the lights on both sides. Meaning the same colors coming from the car correspond to the same colors on the new LEDs.
I am fairly certain the old lights worked prior to this swap, but this is on oddball problem that I could have had before. Just no way to know for sure.
I don't see how this could be a ground if everything functions as it should at one time or another.

By the way, these LEDs are WAY brighter than the old bulbs. Great swap for the money.

68 Camaro, HOT LS3, tremec 6 speed, vintage air, 17 inch tourque thrust II, CPP discs, 3.73 posi, Autometer gauges, painless harness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 14, 09:57 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: LED taighlight problem, tail lights and brake light issue

I'm confused. If they were meant to use the OEM bulb sockets then why did you cut off the sockets and hard wire them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 04:29 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
I'm confused. If they were meant to use the OEM bulb sockets then why did you cut off the sockets and hard wire them?
Me too
I bought led bulbs and placed them in the original sockets.

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

I have fought those sockets for years. tried bending the tabs, several brands, but I still was not satisfied with the fit of the sockets in the housing. The sockets would not ground well. I saw this as an oppurtunity to alleviate the problem entirely.

68 Camaro, HOT LS3, tremec 6 speed, vintage air, 17 inch tourque thrust II, CPP discs, 3.73 posi, Autometer gauges, painless harness
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 06:01 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

If I'm not mistaken some LED lights require individual grounds for each bulb. Try adding additional grounds at those specific locations. I recall someone else running in to that same issue. Cheap way to trouble shoot. Good luck

68, SS, BB, M20 4 speed
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 07:03 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah we would need to see the actual units or schismatic of how they draw power and ground. Can you post the exact make/model numbers and or a link where you got them from? Then we can help you debug the situation. You may need to Frankenstein them now to make them work if they were ment to use the original harness and surface grounds which may not be pretty but should work, or buy a new factory fit rear harness and start again.

post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 07:15 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Are they the Pacific United ones (or something like that)? I used to have a pair of those and the oem style bulb socket HAS to be grounded, otherwise they won't work correctly (been there, done that LOL). I suspect since that "ground" is missing, that is you are having problems. BTW, for a stock style tail light bezel, they work great!

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 07:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

One of the best investments in my 69 Camaro was replacing the 45 year old rear light harness. Came with all the sockets wired in and wasn't very expensive at all. If I recall correctly, the sockets are all grounded individually via a wire direct to the socket as opposed to a chassis ground at each socket as I believe is the case for '67 and '68. Much cleaner and reliable. Not sure if the replacement harness for '68 was modified to include a wired ground as is the case for '69. If so, that should be your first step. Have to have reliable power and ground before you can do much more trouble shooting. - John

69 Camaro convt. Metallic grey, Blueprint Engines roller 383 stroker 445hp/465tq. Edelbrock Air Gap intake. Holley Terminator EFI. Hooker stainless headers. Tremec TKO-600 5 speed, 3.55 posi rear, Vintage Air, March Performance, TMI Interiors
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 07:59 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

I second that! If you were having all kinds of issues with the harness/sockets, I would recommend replacing the rear light harness. Really easy to do....unplug the old and plug in the new. I replaced all the wiring harnesses on my car soon after I got it since it was so hacked up and I wanted reliable electric/wiring on the car. Not too expensive either. Got mine from American Auto wire.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 10:37 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

Yep I also simple popped out the old bulb and put in the new LED bulb and everything worked fine.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

They are the Union Pacific kind that fit into the stock bezel. Each new LED bulb (both taillights and both reverse lights) are grounded individually. The new LED lights had three wires coming from them into the piece that was supposed to fit into the factory socket. There was a hot for the brake lights, hot for the turn signal, and a ground. Since the old socket grounded it's self to the taillight housing, how do I now "make " that ground? The only wires that remain from the tail light sockets are both a brake and turn signal hot wire. I don't see how I could have those wires backwards into the new LED because everything functions at one point or another in this scenario.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1968-C...hts,38426.html

This is a link to the tail lights
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 12:16 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

does your 4 way flashing work and stop when you put the brakes on? I have the same lights and i changed the flasher with a heavy duty one the one with the clear plastic case with no ground and works fine. (By the way the three wires are for, one for brakes and signal, One for the tail lights, and the ground) to me it sounds as you have a problem with the switch it self in the steering column

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brad

My flashers don't work. I have yet to diagnose that problem.
If one harness wire is brake/turn and the other is tail light, then is it possible I have the right side correct and the left reversed? But that wouldn't explain why the left brake works correctly if you just push the right turn signal part way.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 03:28 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Remember that there are two separate flasher units for these cars the hazards are on the fuse box and most folks say with many LED units either a regular heavy duty or a digital with ground flasher unit will work, but regular duty flasher unit won't and needs to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode