Replacing fuel gauge trough tachometer - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Dennis

Replacing fuel gauge trough tachometer

Hallo from Germany,

We wanteted to replace the fuel gauge trough a tachometer, but now we have some problemes.
The indicator lights in the cluster are shining, when the light is on and the background light doesn't show up. But if I turn on the indicators, they work like they should, but the background light is still dark with lights on.

We want to keep the old circuit board, because we want to keep the control light, too.
Did some solved this problem already?

Picture back

Picture front

Last edited by 69-Pace; Dec 26th, 14 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Fixed image tags to post photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 01:10 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Replacing fuel gauge trough tachometer

Willkommen
Okay now that I have fixed your photo image tags I can see what you are talking about.

1967 used the same printed circuit board for both Tachometer and non Tachometer vehicles.
1968 there was a separate board for tachometer vehicles and non Tachometer ones.

I assume that because you have black faced gauges that this is a 1967?

So the original circuit board can be used but the harness connector wires must be reworked, or wire the tachometer direct.
It also looks like three or more mounting screws that hold the board to the rear housing are missing in the photo. This could effect the ground - see below.

Try these to troubleshoot your issues:
Double check your printed circuit to make sure there are no breaks in the copper.

The entire instrument carrier relies on a single crappy ground (earth) that looks like a paperclip at the top where the screw hold the carrier to the dash frame. Most folks have over the years improved that Ground by running a wire from the instrument cluster direct to the metal dash frame and used a self taping screw or used a small clamp to get a good connection. A bad ground does weird things to the indicators and idiot lights. SO I would think this is your issue as described.

Mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut, aber ich kann versuchen, Arbeit zu Łbersetzen, wenn Aussagen Schwierigkeiten Sie sind.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Dec 26th, 14 at 02:23 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Dennis

It is a 1968.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 03:09 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Well then you have to be sure the actual instrument pod is 68, as I mentioned the gauge faces are black and that was 67, 68 used silver faced and required a different circuit board to drive the Tachometer. I just found your Welcome posting so the body is a Firebird which would have had similar but different gauges so someone swapped them out before you bought the vehicle.

Did you make any wiring changes to support the Tachometer?

Since this is a 67 set of gauges you should be able to run it with a non Tachometer 67-68 circuit board but you will have to run the Tachometer signal and power direct to the poles on the read of the cluster id the body harness is 68 if I remember right. I will look and see if I still have photos and directions.

I assume by saying you want to keep the "control light" you mean the idiot lights and have not installed the 68 console gauge package that has water, oil, battery and fuel gauges or you also want idiot lights along with gauges?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Dennis

Thank you for your answeres. My first thougt was a bad ground on the screws, but I checked it with a multimeter and this was okay. When I check the wires at the connector with a little lamp, they work like they should.
But where is the ground which connects the cluster with the body? Is this the little light for the high beam?

We are the third owners of this car. We bought it from a man here in Germany and the car was already registred here, so there were modifications necessary, like the kph scala in the cluster, maybe it isn't the original anymore.

I searched in the internet for a photo which shows the old fuel gauge:

I hope this could help a bit and you can understand this. Writing is not so easy for me, but reading is pretty good. But tomorrow the first thing I will try is making a new ground wire.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 09:39 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Well you at least have matching 67 style gauges and that the printed circuit board is also
a 68 board for no Tachometer.

I will find you a posting here of the ground. The only way to describe it is it looks like a paperclip and yes it is by the Hi beam indicator. I may not post until the morning.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 09:44 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Here is one 1968 cluster with the new ground wire attached to the secure screw top right.

Also read through this posting. It is a "Sticky" meaning it is always at the top of the electrical forum section.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109694
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120527_145644.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	95994  

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 14, 09:52 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Here is an over view on the hi beam connector and the paperclip connected to the bridge to keep the ground flowing.

Sorry I'm a 69 owner so most of my photos are of that year and its a totally different animal

Here is another thread about weird light activity
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=209878

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 14, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Dennis

Thank you, you are awesome! It was a bad ground. Just added a new wire and now it works perfect! When ever you come to Germany you can visit us for coffee and cake :-)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 14, 12:00 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroPB View Post
Thank you, you are awesome! It was a bad ground. Just added a new wire and now it works perfect! When ever you come to Germany you can visit us for coffee and cake :-)
Well just trying to help. There are tons of awesome folks here on Team Camaro but thank you. Glad I could help. I haven't been to Germany since before the wall came down. I spent time in Munich, Marburg, and Berlin in the mid to late 1980's. Where are you in Germany?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode