Anyone use this before? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 14, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Anyone use this before?

I let the wife drive the camaro ONE TIME and she left the key in the accessory position! Ugh.

No seriously, the car dies all the time (needed a new battery) and I got it. But it brought me to want to buy one of these battery chargers that are small enough to fit in the glove compartment.

After a little research I found this one and was wondering if you guys have used it and how YOU liked it..

PowerAll PBJS12000R Rosso

Seems like a nice product. Jumps car immediately. And it can jump your car up to 20 times on a full charge.

Let me know your thoughts. I don't want the big power pack jumper. Had them and they don't last for some reason. I am sure others have had different experiences with them, but I just don't want them anymore.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 14, 10:49 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Anyone use this before?

Just in case anyone doesn't understand what unit he is posting about:

The size is okay and like all "jump-packs" the devil is in the details. How many cold cranking amps does it deliver. For a seasonal classic car never out after October or before May or June each year, many compact jump-packs will do fine, but as Winter approaches you need more than a cell phone sized laptop battery unit to crank a cold dead battery IMHO. But in your circumstances it might just be the ticket.

There are other units that use the vehicles power ports aka "Cigarette Lighters" as we know them by so the driver doesn't have to leave the car on a crappy day or at night, or know pos and neg or where the battery is.... not saying anything sexist here. I see plenty of college aged guys at work who have no clue where anything is on a car - mostly due to the long or no maintenance standings of most systems, unlike when we grew up and needed to know those things and test and tinker those systems at regular milestones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Dec 28th, 14 at 11:10 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 14, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks 69.. exactly.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 14, 11:37 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

I carry a jump-pack in my personal vehicle but that is just a hold over from work. Our vehicles all have packs or direct cables from the push bars to jump disabled vehicles. The one I carry in the jeep is small but holds a 600 amp charge.

http://www.target.com/p/peak-600-amp...Fcdj7AodomgAwg

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 14, 01:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

I have an old jump pack like Brian above... on its 2nd battery now upgraded it to something like a 20AH....
Use it as a spare battery out in the boat... needed it a few months back when the marine battery died..
Also use it for over night running lights, sounder gps, radio etc....connects cig lighter to cig lighter and turn off the main battery.....(not for firing up the engine next morning thu)

once the engine is fired up, give it a few minutes to re charge the main battery, I re connect the jumper pack thru the cig to cig connection and the engine re charges that to.... I dont charge both at the same time...outboard alternators dont have huge out puts.

instead of using the battery charger it came with....I use the car charger in the shed...have for yrs.. after all it is a lead acid 12v battery....

Also use it to run electric lights (florescences) in the big 3 room tent when go camping... and a small elcheapo solar charger on the roof of the tent to re charge during the day....
I also use the solar charge .. sits on top of the outboard, plugged into the battery box while the boat is not in use....maintains full charge of the main batteries

If ... or when.. the current jumper battery dies again....the small units, thu convient, are not as vestile over all as what I use the current jumper unit... and the small glove compartment are near 2x times the cost of a new battery for the unit.

PS jumper packs have stupid short power leads....long time ago I picked up a couple old Arc welding cables...couple meters long... and replaced the short leads... and a couple good quality clamps.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 14, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Steve

Thanks. Not looking for the big boosters.. Just something small and compact that fits in the glove compartment.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 14, 08:58 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Jumper pack m8.. just get a bigger glove box lol

We have one of your packs (similar) down at the workshop.. yeah its damn handy for in the morning firing up sick cars .. often bad batteries....lot e3asier than pulling the prtable trolley jumps pack around...
yeah seriously , they are good.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 14, 09:12 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Read the reviews at Amazon and see if this really will suit your Wife's needs, if not buy a full unit and put it in the trunk.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2O7L7C...R2O7L7CM65DC9J

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/918Cm40iS9S.pdf

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 14, 06:27 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
I carry a jump-pack in my personal vehicle but that is just a hold over from work. Our vehicles all have packs or direct cables from the push bars to jump disabled vehicles. The one I carry in the jeep is small but holds a 600 amp charge.

http://www.target.com/p/peak-600-amp...Fcdj7AodomgAwg
I have one of these also. You just have to remember to keep it charged.

I would also suggest carrying a good set of jumper cables.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode