Battery issue - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 15, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Ernes

Battery issue

Hey guys I have a 69 camaro and when I purchased it it had this voltage display battery terminal and it worked, but now it doesn't work and Im curious why? It has this blue wire that isn't hooked to anything. Can Anyone tell me why its not displaying the voltage anymore? I had a yellow top optima battery that got ruined and I think its because of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150109_121526.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	97506   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150109_121508.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	97514   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150109_121625.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	97522  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 15, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

Re: Battery issue

Huh, I've never seen one of those...
Has the blue wire always been disconnected? I'd guess its a ground and that's why nothing is displayed.
Can you get a number off the chip in pic 2?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 15, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

If below is what you have, then for what they want for new ones, it might not even be worth the time to repair what you have (unless it just requires that the blue wire is possibly a ground that needs to be connected ?).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GOLD-DIGITAL...-/110716305011

I wonder too if it might have gotten wet and fried things inside.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 15, 07:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I believe Kev is correct it's a ground wire. I bet if you touch the unconnected end of the blue wire to the - (neg) post you get a voltage reading. Cheers, Fred

1969 Camaro SS 350 M20 12 bolt 3.55 posi Build date 3rd week of Sept 68 Cortez Silver
2002 SLP Camaro SS 35th Anniversary DOB 09/26/2001- Sold
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 15, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Ernes

Okay, it was a ground. I hooked it up to the negative post and it i got a reading of 12.6 to 12.7 it keeps jumping from those 2 numbers.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 15, 09:06 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah there has to be a connection to the negative side of the system in order to calculate the power. The eBay link is the gold version of the unit which has an identical boot only without the readout for the negative battery post, the base line being sold in UK has just the positive and the blue wire and says it is attached to the negative post. The Sliver model has both boots.

Maybe your lead was pinched in the negative clamp and fell off the last time you serviced and removed the clamp?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 15, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Ernes

Thanks for the help. Im new to all this. Is the 12.6 and 12.7 volt reading good? It keeps jumping between the 2 numbers. It doesn't stay constant on one number.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 15, 10:53 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

The electronics inside are reading a voltage and depending on how well it's made it could very well fluctuate. The electronics might be setup to read 12.6999999999 but displays 12.6 but then if it goes up from this point ever so slightly, then the display instead of reading 12.6 would now read 12.7.
Some meters out there have a peak hold to where this comes in handy to where if an electrical circuit normally reads 12.6 or so but then something happens for a split second the meter grabs that high number and displays that. I had a customer years ago that I installed a radio and all was well but after he drove away the audio quit working. He brought it back and it started working again. Long story short, I ended up hooking up my Fluke meter and after a few times of revving the motor up the voltage finally peaked for just a split second at 19 volts or so and then the radio's protection sensed this and turned off the audio output. The display although worked and stayed on the whole time.
Little fluctuations like a 0.1 volt or so on a 12 volt system is nothing to worry about. It's going to happen.

Jim

1974 Spirit Of America Nova (being restored), 1973 Nova Custom, 1968 Chevy II (Garage Find 2012)

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 15, 11:03 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Should be higher when the vehicle is running but 12.x is good storage voltage.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 15, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Ernes

Well now that I turned the car on and let it warm up, the battery doesn't read any volts. It just shows a double line, no #s. When I turned the car off the the voltage read 13.7, then dropped slowly down to 13.0 like a countdown.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 15, 06:37 PM
Senior Tech
Ben

If it were me, but my opinion only, I would take it off. Put standard cables on it. I learned how to test my alternator and batt on this site. Voltmeters are cheap so it would be a good idea to invest in one. Youtube It too, they have videos on this subject. Not positive on your optima batt but I think it might require a certain type of charger when drained past a certain point. I have one in my boat but I don't have a special charger for it, so I don't really know.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 15, 07:24 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Looks like an audio product based on the supplier.
12.6 resting is good.
Optima AGM batteries do need a special charger.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 15, 10:46 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by esahic View Post
Well now that I turned the car on and let it warm up, the battery doesn't read any volts. It just shows a double line, no #s. When I turned the car off the the voltage read 13.7, then dropped slowly down to 13.0 like a countdown.
I wouldn't worry about it not showing anything w/ the engine running.
The fact that it shows 13.7 when you shut the engine off means the alt is charging.
Dropping back down to 12.6 is normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode