wire loops under steering wheel/ clutch safety switch wire? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 15, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage
wire loops under steering wheel/ clutch safety switch wire?

I have a 69 with manual transmission and want to put a simple cutout switch that I could activate/deactivate to not allow the starter to work. I understand that not all manual cars had the clutch safety switch that requires you to depress the clutch to start the car but I do understand that the wire for this is purple and I wonder if it is in the cluster of looped wires attached to the bottom of the steering wheel. I want to cut this wire and add in a switch.

1)Is this the correct wire?
2) Is there much current flow in this wire or is it simply one of the inputs to a relay that allows the starter to engage? (do I need a high amp switch)

Last edited by ttwo; Jan 16th, 15 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 15, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage
here is the pic of the underside. Don't mind the cutout switch for exhaust
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1421434949078.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	97897  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 15, 12:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Re: wire loops under steering wheel/ clutch safety switch wire?

Hi ttwo

I took a few Pictures as I still have not installed my Wiring harness and I thought I could get you a Picture.

I pulled both the Ignition Plug close to the Firewall Wiring Harness Disconnect to show the 12 Ga. Purple wire with the White Tracer that goes from the Ignition Switch to the Firewall Disconnect than to your Neutral Safety Switch I guess at your Trans.

On my Car, I have a Floor mounted Automatic Shifter so it runs from the Steering Column Ignition Switch to the Shifter, from the Shifter to the Firewall Disconnect, from the Firewall Disconnect (Engine Side) up over and down to the Starter.

I have also tried to find out the Current flow for this Circuit, I read where it was between 30 and 35 amp draw – Not sure if that it 100% true but is the reason this Wire/ Circuit is a 12 Ga. Wire.

I am running a Mini Starter and was told the Current Draw for these was less – Still running the 12 Ga. Wire for my install.

Timmy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Camaro Wire Harness 001.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	97961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro Wire Harness 002.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	97969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camaro Starter Wiring Installed 001.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	97977  

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 15, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I just can imagine that the clutch pedal switch would have such a large wire. I wonder if it is the same wire that you have there. I am looking at the purple wire on the diagram below lower middle part of the picture connecting to the 'clutch petal operated switch.' I would figure that it would simply engage a relay rather than run the full current to the starter. it very well could be but then do you know what the flat wire group is the is on the underside of the steering column?

Last edited by ttwo; Jan 17th, 15 at 03:57 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 15, 08:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Timmy

Hi ttwo
I am stepping out on kid of thin Ice, I am not an Expert, I just have been really searching and figuring out what I need.

And talking with Mark at MAD Electronics for quite some time a few months ago, I asked him the Same Question - Why is that Wire a 12 Ga. that runs from the Ignition Switch all the way for my Car to the Starter Solenoid ? He explained to me how GM designed their Electrical systems and some of the design does not make sense with today’s parts and systems.

The Ford Style Starter Solenoid was a better way of managing the Hi Amp switch Remotely with a lower Amp/ Gauge wire – Sorry I had to admit that

It’s like 12 - 15’ or more on my car with the Console - That is why, it’s a "Too long of a run" and does carry a lot of Amperage, which I also tried to get a Value for How much Amperage Runs thru this Purple Wire just to Close the Cranking Circuit ?

I came up with about 30 – 35 Amps (Do not know if this is accurate) but I figured I would Not try and go down on the Wire Diameter and chance a problem.

This is Not the Starter/ Battery Cable side we are talking about, this is the “S” side of the Starter Solenoid.

Also, the “Flat Wire group” I know it as the Harmonica Connector is labeled “Directional Signal Switch Connector” on your Wiring Diagram and is Not a part if the Ignition/ Starting system, those wires are Turn, Brake and so on.

The Ignition Switch has a large 12 Ga. Red supplying current from the Bus Bar on the Horn Relay thru the Firewall Harness disconnect to the Ignition Switch, out is the Pink 12 Ga. To supply Power to the Fuse Box and the Purple 12 Ga. that runs thru the Neutral Safety Switch and then to the “S” Post on the Starter Solenoid.

Pic of my Harmonica Connector - None of this is for the Starting Circuit. The 14 Ga. Purple coming out is for the 4 Way Hazard Flasher supply.
Timmy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Harmonica Connector Repair.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	98009  

1969 SS/RS Coupe 427BB 700R4 12 Bolt 4:11 A/C, High School Resto Mod

November 1968 Build Date
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 15, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

That is exactly what I need to know! I did find the larger gauge purple wire on top of the steering column. I could use a relay with that wire and have a cutout switch run the relay. Thanks again for the help
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 15, 06:31 AM
Senior Tech
Al

A 69 had either a clutch switch or a neutral/park switch depending on trans type. In either case, a 12ga purple/white runs from the ign switch (top of column, close to firewall) to the safety switch, and 12ga solid purple runs from the safety switch to the "S" terminal on the solenoid. A relay would work, but a switch rated for the current would be a simpler install.

This solution won't foil a thief with a little knowledge and a screwdriver who can get the hood open.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 15, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
TJ

Garage

I agree a switch would be easier but is it hard to find a 35 amp switch!?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 15, 08:35 AM
Senior Tech
Al

No. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pc...FRBgfgodIhsA2A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode