Battery Cable? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 15, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage
Battery Cable?

My 69 RS has a pretty strong 350 that struggles to turn over and start after the engine has been brought to operating temperature. Timing is set at 12 degrees initial, 34 total, and I'm sure it's fighting the ignition system. Car has a nearly new 1000 amp battery, stock high-torque starter, etc.

The battery cables are 4 guage, and I'd like to upgrade them to something larger in order to get more power to the starter, and try to maintain a stock look. Any recommendations?

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 15, 03:37 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Re: Battery Cable?

You are fighting heat soak; especially if you have headers. A heat shield that protects the solenoid would probably be more productive.

Mr Gasket's 3678 GM Starter Heat Shield for Full Size starters (won't work with compact Hitachi gear drive starters):

The inside of the Mr Gasket Heat Shield:

A Dorman 45629 GM Solenoid Heat Sield:

Big Dave
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 15, 03:38 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Go to Lowes to the electrical department. Look for #2 gauge stranded wire. http://www.lowes.com/pd_72611-295-20...ire&facetInfo= You will need top post battery terminals from Advance Auto. Part No. AC178/A1500101. Get a start relay like this and install it away from heat. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/b...=starter+relay. I installed mine on the inner fender on the passenger side and haven't had a problem since.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 15, 04:39 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

New battery cables, molded clamps, min 1 GA cable.
Move engine ground from alt bracket to block - bolt boss on front of block below alt.
Wire brush the block clean.
Use a star washer.
Coat the block and cable terminal with grease.
Externally charge the battery - it will take a long time for the alt to charge the battery.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 15, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Thanks for the info guys. Where would I find 1 or 2 GA cables with the ring terminals attached?

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 15, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Are you talking about the lugs that go on the opposite end of the battery terminal? like these http://www.wiringproducts.com/copper-cable-lugs. #2 Battery cable: http://www.wiringproducts.com/battery-cable. Battery terminals various sizes: http://www.wiringproducts.com/battery-terminals.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 15, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech
Al

It might be easiest to make your own cables, in the exact length you want. I used 1/0 welding cable purchased locally and these cable ends:

http://www.delcity.net/store/Straigh...inals/p_804069

http://www.delcity.net/store/Standar...er-Lugs/p_1015

http://www.delcity.net/store/Triple-...30.h_77221.t_1

If you're not comfortable with soldered cable ends, you can also find compression style ends, or you can crimp them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 15, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Welding cable in 1 or 0 gauge will be a much better choice than a hardware store A/C cable in that size; as the finer the strands the better the current carrying capacity with the least electrical resistance. I use Taylor Wire automotive cable and their screw on battery lugs to mount my batteries in the trunk.

Big Dave
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 15, 10:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

Notice Everett said MIN 1 GA. Good advice. You can buy the stuff to make your own on eBay. I like using a F*** solenoid and no other wires to cook to the starter but that's not stock.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 15, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Kev

The fine strands of welding cable are actually not ideal for a DC system (made for high frequency AC), and adding another solenoid is a bandaid. Better to get automotive battery cables and replace the ends.
In the meantime, the OP may want to look for hotspots in the existing cables (+ and -), look at where the - circuit runs, and/or measure voltages in the circuit.
The high current side should have the shortest path from battery + and back to battery -. The entire round trip is suspect.
All adding a solenoid does is add complexity to turn on the existing solenoid and make the owner redo the wiring (which is actually what solves the problem). The next time the system has a problem there are 2 solenoids and more wiring to not troubleshoot. So add yet another solenoid?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 15, 11:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Larry

I like using a solenoid as part of a system described starting here (http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...evymain1.shtml) that improves the whole charging system. I guess I should have mentioned that. That includes better battery cables. Stock cables are undersized in any system as has been pointed out.

68 RS Coupe 355/350 TH, Detroit Speed, Hotchkis, Vintage Air, 8.5" 3.42 posi 10-bolt, MagnaFlow 2 1/2" exhaust, etc.

"The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men."
Samuel Adams
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 15, 06:20 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryh56 View Post
Stock cables are undersized in any system as has been pointed out.
If you can start your car using the stock system, what makes them undersized? Do you think that GM engineers didn't know that?

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
Semper Fi! L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 15, 08:40 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by onovakind67 View Post
If you can start your car using the stock system, what makes them undersized? Do you think that GM engineers didn't know that?
Check the temperature of the undersized cable compared to a larger size cable. Before I studied engineering at college I already knew that if available you bought the six volt cable over the twelve volt cable (ya I'm that old! I first started working on cars with a six volt battery and starter). The six volt starter cable was bigger to offer less electrical resistance.

More finer strands of copper makes for a much more flexible cable that will not pull out of the terminal due to motor movement. You really should solder crimp on battery cable ends that are hand crimped to reduce resistance and holding power of the connection.

I recognize that in an A/C circuit the higher the frequency the closer to the surface of the conductor the charge rides. I used to make radio frequency transformers to electrically harden steel that required very fine cable strands to connect the power to keep the cable gage down to a practical limit.

Big dave
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 15, 08:51 AM
Senior Tech
mike

Never had this problem with the new style mini starter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode