1969 RS fuel gauge - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 15, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

1969 RS fuel gauge

My fuel gauge is located is located in my instrument cluster. What's the best to get to the back side of it for trouble shooting and replacing it?

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 15, 07:11 PM
Senior Tech
Rich

Re: 1969 RS fuel gauge

Remove lower cover for the steering column and loosen the 2 nuts that support the steering column so that it will drop down a bit. You can then remove the screws at the top, bottom and left side of the dash bezel. You will also have to remove a couple of small nuts on the right side that are above the radio/ash tray area. The bezel will then slide forward and you should be able to get to the back of the gauge. It is not too difficult. If you have an assembly manual you can find all of the fastener locations easily

69 Z/28 RS clone. Azure Turquoise. First car--owned for 32 years and counting.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 15, 07:38 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969RSCAMARO View Post
My fuel gauge is located is located in my instrument cluster. What's the best to get to the back side of it for trouble shooting and replacing it?
Alex...I removed the radio rather than dropping the steering column. With that out of the way, there was plenty of room to work on the rear for removal. By the way, if you need a replacement, I have a good clean one that works. Let me know if you're interested. I added the console gauges to my RS and installed the 350 tach in its place. Good luck

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 15, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteFreak View Post
Alex...I removed the radio rather than dropping the steering column. With that out of the way, there was plenty of room to work on the rear for removal. By the way, if you need a replacement, I have a good clean one that works. Let me know if you're interested. I added the console gauges to my RS and installed the 350 tach in its place. Good luck
How much would you want for it?

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 15, 05:49 AM
Kevin

Alex/Karl, please take the negotiations offline, we try to keep the regular forums clear of the buying and selling thanks!

Replacing a gas gauge while lying on your back will be challenging. The electrical connectors are in about 6 pieces plus washers. Trying to juggle those up in that tight space, ouch!

What is the current issue? Most 69 gas gauge issues are related to grounding issues at the tank or the tank sending unit. I have rarely seen a gas gauge not work if the tank side is working.

So give us more info please!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 15, 06:48 AM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Alex/Karl, please take the negotiations offline, we try to keep the regular forums clear of the buying and selling thanks!

Replacing a gas gauge while lying on your back will be challenging. The electrical connectors are in about 6 pieces plus washers. Trying to juggle those up in that tight space, ouch!

What is the current issue? Most 69 gas gauge issues are related to grounding issues at the tank or the tank sending unit. I have rarely seen a gas gauge not work if the tank side is working.

So give us more info please!
Sorry Kevin...got caught up in the moment

Karl / VetteFreak
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 15, 06:55 AM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969RSCAMARO View Post
How much would you want for it?
Alex...you have a PM!

Karl / VetteFreak
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 15, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

My fuel gauge is peg above full.Well I have been trouble shooting this for a couple of days and I feel like I have two problems with my fuel gauge.
1) I disconnect the plug in the trunk, grounded the wire on the car side going to gauge,turned key on and it did not move the needle. Then I went to the front of the car disconnected the plug just above the emergency brake and did the same and it did not move the needle. I also checked continuity on the wire going back to the trunk and it was good.

2) I checked for a good ground at the fuel sending unit. I also disconnected the sending unit ground and the gauge wire of the sending unit and check ohm resistence between them and did not read anything?

I have done alot of searching on this subject and the only thing I know for sure is I have continuity from the front connector to the back connector is good. Everything else is what I have read. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks Alex

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 15, 11:36 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Did you run the full trouble shooter? https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=195833

Just unplugging the sender lead in the trunk should have moved the needle way past full. But if it was there already you wouldn't see any activity. Grounding the harness lead to the body in the trunk should have pushed the needle past empty. Make sure you have a good ground to bare metal. Also check your fuse.

There should be resistance on the harness lead and on the sender lead. Since it is a 69 you can manipulate the sender with a wooden dowel through the filler neck lifting up will increase Ohm's. The sending unit needs the ground connected for that to work so that sounds like your issue in that test as you say you disconnected the ground.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 15, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

FYI - Any time I'm working on something behind the dash, the first think I do is take the driver's side seat out. After that, you can put something soft on the floor and lay on your back while working behind the dash. Sure makes it a lot more comfortable.

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 15, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

Which fuse? I assume that there is power there because everything else is working. But I sure would like to get a look of the back side of the gauge.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 15, 06:25 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Test the Pink lead for power. It should be the lower right of the fuse panel marked GAUGES. I assume you are speaking of the standard large right side instrument pod gauge and not the small center pod. The plug can be removed from the rear without removing anything if you can get under the dash on your back. Larger folks have to remove the drivers seat to get enough room to get under and be able to look up.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 15, 06:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

As stated early a gauge past full indicates an open circuit from the sender. If you ground the wire at the rear and it doesn't go below empty the circuit is still open. If you ground the wire under the kick panel and it still isn't below full I would suspect the gauge is bad or something on the back of the dash.

Jeff
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 15, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Alex

I picked up a sending unit today and got a gauge on the way. But I still want to get a look behind that dash to check power, ground and the gauge wire.

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 15, 12:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

When you disconnect the wire in the trunk and nothing changes it tells you the present problem is not in the tank. After you get everything in front of there working as it should you may find the sender not reading correctly but it presently is NOT causing the gauge to read past full.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode