Stupid headlight question - halogen... - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 15, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Stupid headlight question - halogen...

So I'm in the process of replacing a door motor on my RS headlight. The headlight itself works but the light isnt the best (dismal) and somewhere along the line got paint overspray on it. I was thinking about adding a relay kit to up the volts but don't think that's necessary as I got a high reading when I tested it.

I would like to replace the headight (says T3 on the glass) to a bright halogen, perhaps Silverstar. When I look them up it's just a bulb and not the "bucket" the bulb goes in.

So my stupid question is - what housing should I use with the silverstar bulb?

1967 350, Hurst TKO 600 5 speed, 12 bolt 3:55 posi, RS added

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 15, 04:55 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Stupid headlight question - halogen...

If you just want a sealed beam replacement

http://www.autozone.com/collision-bo..._670734_19975/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 15, 05:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brian

If you're looking to just replace the bulb, many options. If you're looking to go a LOT brighter and your wiring is up to the added current, Susquehanna Motorsports (rallylights.com) sells conversion kits with Hella European-Spec H4 housings and H4 bulbs of your choice. Pretty neat upgrade...

1967 RS driver with a 327/210... but now with an M20, HEI, AAW harness w/ halogens and relays, Dakota Digital, Moto-Lita, TMI interior, and a few other toys

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 15, 05:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Is just the one headlight dim. If so the ground wire on the plug is not attached or broken
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 15, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
If you just want a sealed beam replacement

http://www.autozone.com/collision-bo..._670734_19975/
Thanks BPOS, that is what I was looking for! Sometimes I feel like I'm a dim bulb, especially after a long day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_P View Post
If you're looking to just replace the bulb, many options. If you're looking to go a LOT brighter and your wiring is up to the added current, Susquehanna Motorsports (rallylights.com) sells conversion kits with Hella European-Spec H4 housings and H4 bulbs of your choice. Pretty neat upgrade...
I need the housing and bulb. I'll take a look at the one you mentioned - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric67 View Post
Is just the one headlight dim. If so the ground wire on the plug is not attached or broken
Naw, it's both. I'm getting 14.x volts at the light with the engine at speed so no issues with power. The T3 is just not comparable with modern lights so I figured while I'm tearing apart the headlight assemblies and rebuilding them (new bushings/washers/motor/etc on the way) I might as well get some decent light in there. I started looking at the HID conversion kits but that's another can of worms...

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 15, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_P View Post
Do you have a part number? On their site I found this: HL70477 which has a HB2 60/55w bulb.

Brighter, whiter is better!

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 15, 11:27 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Just go to Auto Zone and ask for a halogen headlight seal beam for a 67 Camaro. BTW if you look at the picture the part number is H6024.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 15, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

X2 Simple and don't forget to align the lights after installing.
Two other events you might do,
1. if going to halogen, either - install a 55A or more 10DN alt and electronic voltage regulator, or convert to 12SI alt.
2. add relay power for the headlamps because of wire loss of current from battery/alt to switch and back out to lamps - shorten the journey.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 15, 08:09 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

And since the T3's are desirable you could buff it with some steel wool to remove the paint over spray. Hook up relays to make them as bright as the old technology can be. If you go with replacements you should sell the T3's

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 15, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
X2 Simple and don't forget to align the lights after installing.
Two other events you might do,
1. if going to halogen, either - install a 55A or more 10DN alt and electronic voltage regulator, or convert to 12SI alt.
2. add relay power for the headlamps because of wire loss of current from battery/alt to switch and back out to lamps - shorten the journey.
I previously installed a Powermaster amp w/internal voltage regulator. I want to say it's a 140 amp but may be a 100 amp. It's been a few years and I honestly can't remember. The car was set up as a 1 wire and I converted it to 3 wire when I installed the new alt.

I was going to install the relay harness but when I tested the voltage at the headlight with the engine running I got 14+ volts, only about 0.5 volt drop from the battery reading. I tested voltage at the batt, alt, horn bus, headlight connector plug and the headlight terminals. All at 14.x, so I'm going to forego the harness.

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 15, 12:54 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Carl View Post
I previously installed a Powermaster amp w/internal voltage regulator. I want to say it's a 140 amp but may be a 100 amp. It's been a few years and I honestly can't remember. The car was set up as a 1 wire and I converted it to 3 wire when I installed the new alt.

I was going to install the relay harness but when I tested the voltage at the headlight with the engine running I got 14+ volts, only about 0.5 volt drop from the battery reading. I tested voltage at the batt, alt, horn bus, headlight connector plug and the headlight terminals. All at 14.x, so I'm going to forego the harness.
Carl, did you test the voltage at the headlamps with the headlights turned on, that is the only way you will see the true voltage drop from the wiring resistance and headlamp load. You need to do so right at the headlamp socket with the headlamp plugged in and the headlights turned on. If you are testing that way and only getting a 0.5 volt drop, you must not have original wiring. Someone must have seriously upgraded it at some point in it's past?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 15, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH69Z28RS View Post
Carl, did you test the voltage at the headlamps with the headlights turned on, that is the only way you will see the true voltage drop from the wiring resistance and headlamp load. You need to do so right at the headlamp socket with the headlamp plugged in and the headlights turned on. If you are testing that way and only getting a 0.5 volt drop, you must not have original wiring. Someone must have seriously upgraded it at some point in it's past?
Yep, tested at the bulb terminals with the lights on and engine running. And I know the wiring isn't factory because my car wasn't born an RS. I traced the wires from the headlight plug until they dissapeared in the harness that goes between the drivers side fender and wheel well, where I assume it continues on to the dash. I was surprised at the readings as well and tested it multiple times at different points and it seems to check out.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 15, 06:51 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Yep, tested at the bulb terminals with the lights on and engine running. And I know the wiring isn't factory because my car wasn't born an RS. I traced the wires from the headlight plug until they dissapeared in the harness that goes between the drivers side fender and wheel well, where I assume it continues on to the dash. I was surprised at the readings as well and tested it multiple times at different points and it seems to check out.

Well good deal for you

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 15, 02:31 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Yep, tested at the bulb terminals with the lights on and engine running. ...
With the bulbs in their sockets I hope (lights on == lights illuminated). Sounds like you've got it covered, but just want to be clear that you'll want to know the loaded voltage reading. Only by having a load can you tell if you've got a weak link that will cause dim headlamps.

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 15, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Carl

Picked up the Silver Star halogens today. I'm still waiting on door hardware so I haven't permanantly installed them yet, but I did a temp connection to test the T3 against the halogen SS. Not surprisingly, it's dramatic.

So, the voltage loss from the battery to the SS headlight appears to be approximately 1.58 volts. I calculate that as a 8.87% loss. If I install a harness and regain, let's say 1.08 volts, would that equate to a similar gain in light output?

Does anyone think this is enough to make installing a harness worthwhile? What say you?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	101682  

Last edited by 67Carl; Feb 22nd, 15 at 03:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode