Pertronix - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Pertronix

What is the general opinion on these in the stock 350 distributors? I was looking at the pertronix 2 unit to put in.

1969 Camaro SS350, original motor/12 bolt/interior and build sheet in Fathom Green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 12:48 PM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Re: Pertronix

I had this setup and worked ok, mixed reviews here if you search....
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 12:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

I have one. Works good. Also running their coil. I wanted a stock looking distributor.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech
John

Nuttin wrong with them Been running the same old one for over 10 years.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 01:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I used their distributor but returned it after a few months when I noticed it wasn't meshing with my cam properly. I now use a M&H one wire conversion kit in a stock distributor. No wiring hassles and works like a charm.

69 SS, 350/300 h.p., M-20, 12 bolt, matching numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

The one I'm looking at is Pertronix 2 and it is a kit 91181. I was thinking of putting this is the stock distributor to keep the stock look too. Kit is $115 at Summit. Looks like a pretty good deal.

Any good alternatives to this plan? It's been a long time since I've purchased this stuff. How does this work in comparison to say a Mallory Unilite type set up?

1969 Camaro SS350, original motor/12 bolt/interior and build sheet in Fathom Green.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 03:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brian

Depending on budget, everyone that isn't running 7k rpm seems to love the HEI conversions. Two options out there - Dave's small body HEIs (everyone loves the distributor, hates the customer service) and Performance Distributor's "Tri-Power" system (essentially the DUI distributor built on the core of a points distributor). The GM HEI distributor is an option if it clears your firewall but most don't.

1967 RS driver with a 327/210... but now with an M20, HEI, AAW harness w/ halogens and relays, Dakota Digital, Moto-Lita, TMI interior, and a few other toys
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 03:16 PM
Premium Member
Gordon

I put one in an SS396 replacing a points distributor....could hardly tell any difference, but then again with stock 325 hp cam it's already limited.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 03:19 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

One of the advantages to pertronix is you wont have a fitment problem with firewall like you would by going with a regular sized HEI. .... I have an HEI in my 69. Someone bashed the firewall with a hammer to make it fit. It works, but the firewall looks crappy and it is still really tight to the firewall. .... This rebuild, I am going with the pertronix small cap HEI.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
jerry

I installed a regular Petronix in my 69 last summer. Works great.

About $85.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 04:30 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

Love mine

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

The other option is the Mallory Unilite. Looks stock size. How are those?

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I've been running for two years now a rebuilt stock points distributor that I shimmed to get rid of the excessive shaft end play and installed a Pertronix Flame Thrower III module and coil. I'm as happy as I could be with it and like it much better than the MSD billet distributor and 6AL ignition box that was in the car when I purchased it. I went with the Pertronix Flame Thrower III as it is easy to install in the distributor but primarily because it has the adjustable RPM limiter which I felt was worth the slightly higher price.

From what I found when I did my research before deciding on the Pertronix is those that have problems with the Pertronix setup are usually due to incorrect installation/wiring which will damage the modules. Follow their instructions and they work as the manufacturer claims.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 09:41 PM
Senior Tech
alex

YEP I agree with Scott 100% I have a complete MSD 6aL System and other than a few small things it is not any better than my old cast iron well tuned Delco Distributor. Check out my posts on this . MSD NEVER AGAIN Alex
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 15, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Good advice. It would be nice to keep the stock distributor.

That Daves small body alternative is interesting too. I'll have to look into them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode