Tach Quit - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 15, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Tach Quit

My tach quit. It is almost new was working great. It was wired to the tach wire off the MSD 6AL. Not to long ago I spiced a wire to the tach feed to hook a tach and dwell meter to to have a tach at the engine to adjust the carb. Could the dwell meter tach caused some back feed or problem? I quess I am going to have to buy another new tach, I dont, want to mess it up to.Any suggestions to make my tach survive would be appreciated.

Thanks Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 15, 03:59 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Tach Quit

Were you using a straight non rebuilt OER analogue Factory reproduction Tachometer without the filter on a HEI box? Surprised it ever worked.
Might be fried or just taking a nap. Without a filter they usually hopped, jumped, snorted around or just stayed at one rpm. You can try the filter and see if that improves the response from dead to alive. If you going to buy a new one I would say don't send this one out to be converted for HEI signals.

Out Team Camaro DIY Tach Filter how to page: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=309026

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 15, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Brian thanks for the reply. I will make the filter as you recomended and try it.If I have to buy a new OER tach is there anything other than the filter I need to do?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 15, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loneman View Post
Brian thanks for the reply. I will make the filter as you recomended and try it.If I have to buy a new OER tach is there anything other than the filter I need to do?
Bob...if you do need to purchase a new one, I would suggest getting a new repo which is manufactured to work with HEI ignition setup without the need for a filter. I purchased one from The Parts Place compatible with my GM HEI dizzy and it works perfectly. They offer different RPM read line indicators to fit different optioned cars.

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 15, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Karl, thanks,My tach is a 69 camaro in dash OER replacement. Also my ignition is MSD with 6AL box, I don't think they are classed as HEI. I should have made myself more clear about what I was working with in the first post . Thank you both for the advice. I am working on putting the filter in now will try that first, before ordering new tach.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 15, 04:26 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
The filter 99% of the time allows an analogue tach to monitor a HEI generated signal.

I'm not aware of any of the factory style tachometers for 69 that are HEI compatible out of the box. Most say right on the box not to be used with High Energy Ignition systems. Any speedometer shop can rebuild any tachometer to HEI standards.

The only tachometers I found at https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ Karl that were Points and HEI were these:

Quote:
NEW FACTORY STYLE HOOD TACH NOW AVAILABLE FROM THE PARTS PLACE. MADE IN THE USA JUST LIKE GM DID FOR PONTIAC AND BUICK , NOT LIKE THE CHEAP REPROS OUT THERE. DON'T CONFUSE OUR TACH WITH THE OTHERS OUT THERE THAT HAVE COPIED OUR WHITE OUTER SHELL. BACK LIT NUMBER/POINTER DESIGN. ALSO INCLUDES - A HARNESS AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS(FOR GTO AND BUICK). COMPETITORS DON'T HAVE A BACKLIT POINTER DESIGN, MAKING OURS SUPERIOR TO THE OTHERS OUT THERE. IF YOU ALWAYS LIKE THE LOOK OF A HOOD TACH, BUT THOUGHT IT WAS SILLY TO BOLT A TACH THAT SAID PONTIAC ON YOUR CHEVELLE, NOW YOU CAN! THE FACE OF THIS TACH DOESN'T HAVE A NAME ON IT SO YOU CAN USE THIS ON PRETTY MUCH ANY MUSCLE CAR OUT THERE. THIS TACH WORKS WITH FACTORY POINTS AND GM HEI DISTRIBUTORS, WILL WORK WITH AFTERMARKET IGNITIONS ONLY IF YOU USE A MODULE (AVAILABLE THROUGH MOST SPEED SHOPS).
Can you post the link to the factory style HEI tachs? I'm sure there would be a ton of interest for them.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 15, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
The filter 99% of the time allows an analogue tach to monitor a HEI generated signal.

I'm not aware of any of the factory style tachometers for 69 that are HEI compatible out of the box. Most say right on the box not to be used with High Energy Ignition systems. Any speedometer shop can rebuild any tachometer to HEI standards.

The only tachometers I found at https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ Karl that were Points and HEI were these:

Can you post the link to the factory style HEI tachs? I'm sure there would be a ton of interest for them.

Brian...here is the 69 dash tach I purchased and it works perfectly with my 1970 GM HEI dizzy. I hope this link works

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevrol...cd4b42&vxp=mtr

Karl / VetteFreak
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 15, 04:52 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Karl, thanks,My tach is a 69 camaro in dash OER replacement. Also my ignition is MSD with 6AL box, I don't think they are classed as HEI. I should have made myself more clear about what I was working with in the first post . Thank you both for the advice. I am working on putting the filter in now will try that first, before ordering new tach.
Bob...my bad. I had to go back and look at the specs on the tach I purchased. It did say "a filter may be required for MSD", but I can guarantee, it works fine with a GM HEI dizzy without filter.

Karl / VetteFreak
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 15, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

made the filter and tried it, tach is still not working. Gues I will have to get a new tach.
Thanks Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode