Center console ground bolt? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 15, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Center console ground bolt?

I'm putting my console back in the car and hooking up the shifter wires. I can generally see where the black ground goes but the bolt it attaches to isn't tightening.

Anyone have a picture of the what the bolt looks like that mounts south of the shifter into the tunnel? The two north of it are in but I can't tighten that one down for some reason so it might be wrong.

Also, is this the spot where that black shifter wire/ground mounts?

This is for a 69 console.

1969 Camaro SS350, original motor/12 bolt/interior and build sheet in Fathom Green.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 15, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Re: Center console ground bolt?

Ok can someone explain to me where the black wire in the console attaches? The other wires are attached. I believe the black wire is a ground. It was attached at one point to a bolt that won't tighten into the hump so I am not sure that was ever right.

My two hang ups are where the black wire attaches? If in deed it does attach to a bolt that screws into the hump....what does the bolt look like?

1969 Camaro SS350, original motor/12 bolt/interior and build sheet in Fathom Green.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 15, 11:02 PM
Senior Tech
George

I think this pic shows the screw that you are referring to.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 15, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

The screw in mine is long...about 2 inches. And from that pic it looks like it enters through the area where the sleeve is. Mine might be way off and that long screw might not be correct either.
I think I'm going to need to see a pic with it the shifter plate off and everything wired up.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 03:29 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

use a hammer and dolly to close the hole, them your screw will tighten up or go to the next size screw
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 05:40 AM
Banned
Chet

Best thing you can do is buy an assembly manual.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 08:13 AM
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefiness View Post
Best thing you can do is buy an assembly manual.
You can download the assembly manuals. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9433.0

Credit camaros.org for this

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 08:17 AM
Premium Member
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TClovis View Post
Ok can someone explain to me where the black wire in the console attaches? The other wires are attached. I believe the black wire is a ground. It was attached at one point to a bolt that won't tighten into the hump so I am not sure that was ever right.

My two hang ups are where the black wire attaches? If in deed it does attach to a bolt that screws into the hump....what does the bolt look like?
As it's a ground wire you can attach it wherever you want....what I've done in such situations is crimp on a ring at the end of the ground wire and use a #10 - 3/4" sheet metal screw and just put it into the sheet metal on the hump. You're going to be covering it up with the console plates so it won't be unsightly.

67 Plain Jane being assembled with 427, 4 spd Muncie, 12 bolt rear with Mosers, 4 wheel discs
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 08:32 AM
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by TClovis View Post
The screw in mine is long...about 2 inches. And from that pic it looks like it enters through the area where the sleeve is. Mine might be way off and that long screw might not be correct either.
I think I'm going to need to see a pic with it the shifter plate off and everything wired up.
The screw is that smaller one towards the pass side thats screwed partally in, not the sleeve for the console mounting. From other pics Ive seen, its that same screw. If the hole is stripped, then either hammer and dolly it or drill a new one right next to it.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 15, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordr View Post
You can download the assembly manuals. http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9433.0

Credit camaros.org for this
Awesome! This is a big help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode