67 ignition voltage - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

67 ignition voltage

Does the resistor wire that powers the coil in the run position have any voltage while cranking? I know the other wire from the starter supplies full battery voltage during cranking for quicker startups, but does the resistor wire cut out during crank or does it still have power?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 04:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Re: 67 ignition voltage

I can't imagine why it wouldn't. In fact I'm almost 99.999999% sure it does. I don't think I had to run the wire from the starter to the coil when I went HEI. That tells me the red is hot during cranking.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbauer View Post
I can't imagine why it wouldn't. In fact I'm almost 99.999999% sure it does. I don't think I had to run the wire from the starter to the coil when I went HEI. That tells me the red is hot during cranking.
Thats what i was thinking. My car is kinda "snowed in" right now so I cant check with a meter.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 05:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff67rs View Post
Thats what i was thinking. My car is kinda "snowed in" right now so I cant check with a meter.
We got a foot today. I'm not trudging out to the garage to check mine right now either...

...but if you can find an HEI wiring diagram that should clear it up and keep both our feet warm.

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 05:10 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Yep. I was right. Stay warm my friend.

Sold:
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
We got a foot today. I'm not trudging out to the garage to check mine right now either...

...but if you can find an HEI wiring diagram that should clear it up and keep both our feet warm.
I feel for you George, it went just south of us here in southern NH for a change, we had spring temps yesterday but today we were back in the cold. At least for once this winter the snow missed us so we have no snow to shovel...

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
No voltage on that wire during cranking on a 67 from the factory. The yellow wire from the solenoid to coil+ supplies voltage to the coil while cranking. When you release the key to the run position then there is voltage. In 68 and 69 the resistor wire does have voltage while cranking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
No voltage on that wire during cranking on a 67 from the factory. The yellow wire from the solenoid to coil+ supplies voltage to the coil while cranking. When you release the key to the run position then there is voltage. In 68 and 69 the resistor wire does have voltage while cranking.
Thats what I was afraid of. That hei conversion chart shows otherwise but it might be for 68 and up. I thought the 69 with the column mounted key did and I also know that he 67 and 68 ignition switches look the same but have different pigtails, and are not interchangeable. I wonder if this is something that was changed for 68. Gbauer, what year is your car?

Edit, I just saw its a 68.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 06:29 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Seems like a jumper wire with a diode between START and RUN on the back side of the IGN switch should solve your problem.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 07:53 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

your ignition has a cranking power wire! just take the power from there

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
Seems like a jumper wire with a diode between START and RUN on the back side of the IGN switch should solve your problem.
And its entirely possible thats what they did for 68. Im trying not to overthink this or make it too complicated. Ive seen where people use the coil wires to trigger a relay that gives a full 12v from the horn relay. Seems a bit much. Ive also seen the wire from the fusebox ignition terminal which seems easy enough but now Im even wondering if that has power during cranking either. People have been dropping hei's in old cars for decades so I figure it cant be rocket science.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCOOL_RSSS350 View Post
your ignition has a cranking power wire! just take the power from there
Yes, it does, then after cranking it goes dead and the resistor wire takes over that does not supply a full 12v which most performance ignition systems need to run properly. Id like to have just 1 wire to handle both situations like newer cars do. I dont want to have to combine a bunch of wires, trying to keep it simple.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 08:33 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

On my 67 Camaro I did away with the resistor wire at the bulkhead connector. Using the old terminal I ran a 14 gauge red wire to the MSD box. You could use this red wire for your HEI distributor.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 15, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdminter55 View Post
On my 67 Camaro I did away with the resistor wire at the bulkhead connector. Using the old terminal I ran a 14 gauge red wire to the MSD box. You could use this red wire for your HEI distributor.
Something like that was my plan. But if that terminal has no power when cranking. then I would still need to combine it with the other wire from the starter. Id like to have a 1 wire solution. Ideally, Id like to have 1 wire feeding the hei 12v in both cranking and run mode and just tape off and tuck away the original wires for use just in case. Im gonna have to check that ign terminal on the fusebox for voltage while cranking.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 15, 01:49 PM
Senior Tech

I could be wrong, but I think the IGN wire will state hot during crank on a 68 ignition switch. Also seems like aftermarket ignition switches work like the 68 did. 67 for sure was an odd duck in that regard

Dave
========================
68 Coupe, 350 w/ Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, cam, intake, 700R4, Dave's small body HEI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode