Coolant temperature sensor for factory gauges - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 15, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Coolant temperature sensor for factory gauges

I have a 69 Camaro with the factory console gauges, I replace original motor with a late-model crate motor and I need a temperature sending unit that will match the factory temperature gage I'm not sure what the ohms or resistance is for the factory temperature/coolant gauge is, does anybody know of a sending unit that will fit the late-model motor which has a smaller opening in the head than the original 69 motor and work with the factory gauge, or an adapter for the original temperature sending unit that might work, thanks Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 15, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Re: Coolant temperature sensor for factory gauges

This comes up frequently, and I haven't heard of a proper sender that threads into the smaller hole. The usual solution is to use an existing plugged hole on the intake manif or a thermostat housing with a bung. I 'd be inclined to drill/tap the too-small hole in the cyl head to accept the stock sender.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 15, 11:13 AM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage
Exclamation Re: Coolant temperature sensor for factory gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by my69gransport View Post
I have a 69 Camaro with the factory console gauges, I replace original motor with a late-model crate motor and I need a temperature sending unit that will match the factory temperature gage I'm not sure what the ohms or resistance is for the factory temperature/coolant gauge is, does anybody know of a sending unit that will fit the late-model motor which has a smaller opening in the head than the original 69 motor and work with the factory gauge, or an adapter for the original temperature sending unit that might work, thanks Dan
I, too, was in the same predicament trying to find a temp sender which had a resistance range close to factory specs, yet, fit a 3/8" NPT hole in the intake. I searched for weeks and found one at NAPA with this temp range...340 ohms @ 100 Deg F (low end) and 35 ohms @ 220 Deg F (high end) with 3/8" NPT. Factory spec was 390 ohms @ 100 Deg F and 102 ohms at 260 Deg F with 1/2" NPT. This was the closest to factory spec I could find so I made the purchase at $7 and the best move I ever made. It works in the lower end of the console temp gauge spectrum and gets to ~65% of full scale reading at operating temp (350/300 sbc). Once you get used to the needle position for your venue, it's easy to follow. Doing a boardwalk parade at Ocean City, MD, mine will read 75% FSO.

The stock# of the unit at NAPA is ECH TS6729 if you want to try it!

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 15, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, I'll be at the napa store first thing this morning, in reference to the suggestion of putting it in the intake, I've had some electrolysis going on with aluminum intake and I'm afraid to remove the front bung without damaging the original 69 aluminum intake. Thanks again Dan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

You can also get a thermostat housing that will accept the factory sensor. I have it in mine and it works fine once the thermostat opens but i think its kind of ugly and would like to get it back in the cylinder head someday.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 04:30 PM
Senior Tech
Alex

Not sure if this will work? But what if you purchased the correct temp sending unit 1/2" npt and took it to a machine shop and had them mill it down to 3/8 npt? I have done this on a later model engine (86) that I was going to install in my 72 truck but never did and I sold the engine before I ever seen it run. That's what some of the old truck guys do (67-72). Just I thought. Alex

1969 RS Camaro
1972 K5 Blazer
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 15, 05:43 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

There have been many solutions used. All successful but all ugly to look at. Some have used a brass adapter down to the new size, sticks out like a tumor.

Others have installed the sensor in the thermostat housing, which works the best but looks the worst. And someone tapped the current 3/8 out to the old 1/2.

All those options have varying degrees of difficulty. You should be able to use a newer style correct sized sender then "correct" the output Ohm's with either a fixed series of resistors in line or at the gauge back. You could also use a potentiometer set and locked to the right range hidden in the console shell.

One thread of many here on TC https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=137288 Suggests:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...7490&highlight suggests ECHTS6641 3/8"-18 NPT blade lock 138-156 ohm @220 degF (TS76)
Then you need to replace the current gauge back resistor on the rear of the gauge with one at 150 ohm resistance from Radio Shack or from Lectric Limited. http://www.lectriclimited.com/freque...stions.htm#E02

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode