1968 Parking Brake Light Wire Help - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 15, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Rob

1968 Parking Brake Light Wire Help

Hi all, I need some help. I am trying to figure out where I can splice into the tan parking brake light wire. I have tried from the switch on the parking brake assembly but do not have any power whether I suppress the switch or not. I grabbed another switch, same result. The tan wire goes behind the fuse block, but I cannot find it from there. Do I need to pull the fuse block? I am trying to splice in a wire from the parking brake wire straight into a dakota gauge fuse box. Can anyone help me on this one? I appreciate it.
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 15, 05:00 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: 1968 Parking Brake Light Wire Help

The warning light is a shared resource with the power brake system. Both have the ability to light the light. I believe both sides do so by grounding the tan wire but I may be wrong on that for 68.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 15, 05:04 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Garage

Yes- the tan wire is the GROUND side of the circuit no power or positive. When the switch is engage or the balance bar in the proportion valve is active you will have continuity to ground on that wire. Light always has power to it waitng for a ground to complete the circuit.

You will need a relay if your trying to feed 12VDC to something from this wire.

1969 Camaro SS 350 LeMans Blue
2015 Z/28 - Red
2 x 1967 R/Tís
1977 Power Wagon
1978 Liíl Red Express

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 15, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Rob

Thank you. My car doesn't have power brakes. So do you know where they connect to the light? With the change out of gauges and I have been running them into the Dakota control box and it lights on the new gauges. I cannot figure out where tan wire runs, or where is connects brake light would be running out of the fuse panel.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 15, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

BRAKE light is with the GAUGES fuse and power goes to gas gauge, temp light, oil, and GEN lights - inst cluster without gauges.

Tan wire is hot until the parking brake or brake distribution block is moved.
Each switch at each unit places a ground on the wire and BRAKE light is lit.

Yes, tan wire at parking brake switch should have accessory power when IGN switch is in ACC or ON.
This schematic might help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf InstPanelwithout_Gauges.pdf (34.0 KB, 208 views)

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 15, 06:44 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Whether power or manual brakes has nothing to do with it. The distribution block under your master cyl has a switch in it - when the pressure between front and rear brakes is unequal, the switch closes, illuminating the BRAKE light on your dash. The tan wire from that switch is connected to the tan wire from your park brake pedal switch at the bulkhead connector behind the fuse box. (It might look like it goes into the fuse panel, but it doesn't -it goes behind it. ) From there it runs to one side of the BRAKE warning bulb on your dash. The tan wire(s) are on the ground side of the circuit as said. The other side of that bulb is fed by "key-on" 12 volts.

"do you know where they connect to the light?
" - on a 69, the tan wire goes to the bulb socket. No clue on a 68 - they use that goofy circuit board.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode