Power windows for a hardtop to convertible - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 15, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
dana

Power windows for a hardtop to convertible

Does anyone know if there are any issues installing a GM power window
setup from a hardtop to vert?

I heard maybe GM the rear 1/4 mech is an issue but nu-relics fits both

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 15, 04:53 AM
Kevin

Re: Power windows for a hardtop to convertible

I haven't done it, but plan too. I mocked up the motors a long time ago, I do not recall an issue in the qtrs. But the qtr windows mech are a pain anyways You just use the same wire/circuit breaker as the power top.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 15, 08:29 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yeah as stated the only difference is that the Vert power windows piggybacked off the existing power top breaker and power feed. Edit for search and clarification: once at the breaker a second power feed wire enters the bulkhead to feed the windows, it does not use the same feed wire as the power top.

Coupes used the same part numbers and both fed power to the kick panel power relay then to the drivers window switch controls.

Easy to install the nu-relics as they use the original factory mounting locations, harnesses and switches and use ac/delco motors. So perfect for new install or refreshing old factory units that have failed. The only common issue is warped door panels but they have a simple instruction sheet showing you how to make a jig from square tub bar stock and a bolt and two blocks of wood. Tighten the bolt and the bar pulls the door into alignment so the motor doesn't hit the channel or glass.

I hear electric life motors are also easy to mount.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Feb 14th, 16 at 01:57 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 15, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
dana

oh great...good thing I have a power top

anyone have a link or schematic on how to hook this up?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 15, 01:50 PM
Kevin

There was a schematic posted a while back I think in electrical.

Did you get all the harnesses? besides the power feed, there are wires to the relay (behind the drivers side kick panel) and back out to all windows. You need to drill large holes in the doors and hinge support for the wiring boots. Getting a good ground in the door is the tough part. The factory installed the doors before paint, so there was a good ground at the hinges. Now we paint both the hinge and support with many coats of paint and you lose the ground.

I think when I do mine, I will add a insulated ground wire within the boot and ground the door motor under the dash.

Kevin

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 15, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
dana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Yeah as stated the only difference is that the Vert power windows piggybacked off the existing power top breaker and power feed. Coupes used the same part numbers and both fed power to the kick panel power relay then to the drivers window switch controls.

Easy to install the nu-relics as they use the original factory mounting locations, harnesses and switches and use ac/delco motors. So perfect for new install or refreshing old factory units that have failed. The only common issue is warped door panels but they have a simple instruction sheet showing you how to make a jig from square tub bar stock and a bolt and two blocks of wood. Tighten the bolt and the bar pulls the door into alignment so the motor doesn't hit the channel or glass.

I hear electric life motors are also easy to mount.

I've got a set of GM out of a 67 hardtop firebird. But if it gets difficult I will get a nurelics set.
So the Power top relay is the same? Do I need to get a PW relay if I am running off the power top?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 15, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
dana

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
There was a schematic posted a while back I think in electrical.

Did you get all the harnesses? besides the power feed, there are wires to the relay (behind the drivers side kick panel) and back out to all windows. You need to drill large holes in the doors and hinge support for the wiring boots. Getting a good ground in the door is the tough part. The factory installed the doors before paint, so there was a good ground at the hinges. Now we paint both the hinge and support with many coats of paint and you lose the ground.

I think when I do mine, I will add a insulated ground wire within the boot and ground the door motor under the dash.
No It is cut off at the drivers door hole, don't have anything past the drivers door
I have all the other doors harness.

I am not even sure where to drill the holes!

Any pics or diagrams would be GREATLY appreciated
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 15, 02:59 PM
Kevin

Ah, cut off the door is typical. If they did not grab the harness and motor from the doors, you may be missing some parts

Ok, the power top thing on the firewall is a 30amp circuit breaker, not a relay. it cuts power is the top is jammed.

There is a relay mounted behind driver kickpanel that power feed goes to. The drivers side door leg harness is the most complicated due to the 4 position switch. Motors in all doors and qtrs of course. So besides the door harness, there with be one that goes under the dash that splits to go to pass door and under the carpet guards to the pass qtr. The drivers qtr goes from the relay location to the drivers qtr. There may be a couple intermediate connectors, cant remember.

The hings and doors have a small dimple midway, that is where you drill. One or the other is bigger.

The Fisher body manual has a pretty good chapter on power windows

Random posts on power windows

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80379

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=289274

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=206619

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192502

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86968

And look at the AAW wiring harnesses and compare them to what you have.

http://www.rickscamaros.com/electric...grdrctq=wiring

More pics here

http://www.rickscamaros.com/catalogs...ndow&x=17&y=18

Kevin

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 15, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
dana

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Ah, cut off the door is typical. If they did not grab the harness and motor from the doors, you may be missing some parts

Ok, the power top thing on the firewall is a 30amp circuit breaker, not a relay. it cuts power is the top is jammed.

There is a relay mounted behind driver kickpanel that power feed goes to. The drivers side door leg harness is the most complicated due to the 4 position switch. Motors in all doors and qtrs of course. So besides the door harness, there with be one that goes under the dash that splits to go to pass door and under the carpet guards to the pass qtr. The drivers qtr goes from the relay location to the drivers qtr. There may be a couple intermediate connectors, cant remember.

The hings and doors have a small dimple midway, that is where you drill. One or the other is bigger.

The Fisher body manual has a pretty good chapter on power windows

Random posts on power windows

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80379

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=289274

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=206619

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192502

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86968

And look at the AAW wiring harnesses and compare them to what you have.

OH man I can't say thanks enough for those links!!!
I am missing the entire under dash harness left front... gotta buy that now

Last edited by 69-Pace; Mar 18th, 15 at 05:06 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 15, 07:13 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryqer View Post
I've got a set of GM out of a 67 hardtop firebird. But if it gets difficult I will get a nurelics set.
So the Power top relay is the same? Do I need to get a PW relay if I am running off the power top?
Yes and no. If you are using the original GM Fisher Body harnesses it is strongly recommended that you run the relay which will use the full amp draw of the power top line you already have. If you use the Nu-Relics harness which is identical to the GM harnesses except it includes an inline 30 amp blade fuse. I have done both used the nu-relics with fuse into the original relay just as a back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryqer View Post
No It is cut off at the drivers door hole, don't have anything past the drivers door
I have all the other doors harness.

I am not even sure where to drill the holes!

Any pics or diagrams would be GREATLY appreciated
The original doors have a dimple on the door and on the outer side of the door jam. The original GM Fisher power windows used a set of rubber wire chases that held the wires. Aftermarket are a bit bigger. Best bet is to drill a pilot hole then use a step bit to widen it to the diameter of the version you are using. I'll find the picture that comes with the Nu-Relics that shows the dimples.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 15, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
dana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Yes and no. If you are using the original GM Fisher Body harnesses it is strongly recommended that you run the relay which will use the full amp draw of the power top line you already have. If you use the Nu-Relics harness which is identical to the GM harnesses except it includes an inline 30 amp blade fuse. I have done both used the nu-relics with fuse into the original relay just as a back up.

The original doors have a dimple on the door and on the outer side of the door jam. The original GM Fisher power windows used a set of rubber wire chases that held the wires. Aftermarket are a bit bigger. Best bet is to drill a pilot hole then use a step bit to widen it to the diameter of the version you are using. I'll find the picture that comes with the Nu-Relics that shows the dimples.
Got links from KevinW showing all that...

thanks for all the help gents!!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 15, 06:11 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Keep us posted on your progress. The aftermarket harnesses are hit or miss on coming with grommets for the rear quarters. In a pinch you can use rubber hose slit down one side then slide the opening over and around the hole.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 16, 10:27 AM
Team Member
Duke

I am doing the same install on my '69 'vert. PW set up came from a '69 coupe, all seems to be going well but I have not got the window guides or glass in yet. With good wire and connectors you can make missing harnesses for little cost-- nothing shows unless somebody sticks their head upside-down under your dash.

1969 RS Convert ON THE ROAD AT LAST!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
adding power windows

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode