Ok guys how do i get my switch to light up - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 15, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

Ok guys how do i get my switch to light up

Guys, I have radiator entropy rad and fan setup with there wiring harness(dip switch settings for temps). I wired a led switch in the dash to ground out the harness to manually activate the fan. i cannot get the led light on the switch to come on except for when the switch is in the center of movement in comes on before the fans are on.
If i pull the load wire the light comes on with out the fans running. I am guessing i need some type of resistor in ground wire but I am not sure.Click image for larger version

Name:	entropy wiring.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	105073

1969 CAMARO Z28 383
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 15, 04:05 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage
Re: Ok guys how do i get my switch to light up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEROID View Post
Guys, I have radiator entropy rad and fan setup with there wiring harness(dip switch settings for temps). I wired a led switch in the dash to ground out the harness to manually activate the fan. i cannot get the led light on the switch to come on except for when the switch is in the center of movement in comes on before the fans are on.
If i pull the load wire the light comes on with out the fans running. I am guessing i need some type of resistor in ground wire but I am not sure.Attachment 105073
Not quite sure your additional wiring is correct. If it were me, I would parallel the temp sensor circuit with a SPST switch that would emulate the temp sensor and allow the switch to control the fans rather than the sensor turning it on/off based on water temp. That way, either/or will work.

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 15, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

LED light is not going to come on because the when switch is ON, ground is applied to both sides of the switch as intended by the circuit.

If switch has terminals for light, then you will need to wire battery power to one terminal and switched ground to the other terminal.
Or, wire one side of the light to FAN power and other terminal to switched ground. This way when FAN power is on, LED will light when switch is closed.

Otherwise, as suggested a SPST toggle switch will have to be used.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 15, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

I thought that even though it was the ground. Electricity flowed through the wire. isn't that how circuits work?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 15, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

If I pull the load wire the light works. I don't understand why when electricity flows through the switch it does not work
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 15, 08:21 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
If I pull the load wire the light works. I don't understand why when electricity flows through the switch it does not work
How many wire connections are on your LED switch? Is it a single pole/single throw switch that is either NO or NC? Something just isn't right in your circuit!

Karl / VetteFreak
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 15, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

there are 3 poles on the switch. 1. power 2. load 3. ground . I am using the switch to complete a ground to activate the fans on my car. the switch works fine, the light just doesn't light up?

1969 CAMARO Z28 383
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 15, 06:38 AM
Senior Tech
Joe

DEROID,

Can you send picture of the back of the switch you are using?
Typically the switches are setup with the center post as hot (+12v) and moving it up or down connects the hot side to the connections on the other two post. their is usually a separate wire/post that you can wire for the LED that you can wire to work the way you want it to work.

If you are switching the grounds this might require a relay to work the way you want.

-Joe

1969 Camaro V8 Base Model, Black w/White Rally Stripes, 350 HO w/ FiTech Go 4 600, HEI, 700r4 trans, 10 Bolt 4:10 Rear End, 15" Rally Wheels, 245/60/15 Rear, 235/60/15 Front

Non stop fun from 0 to 90 mph!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 15, 09:00 AM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
there are 3 poles on the switch. 1. power 2. load 3. ground . I am using the switch to complete a ground to activate the fans on my car. the switch works fine, the light just doesn't light up?
Sounds like you have a single pole/double throw switch with an LED indicator which only illuminates in the center position. Correct? If so, that is the "off" position for either of the other 2 available circuits. Therefore, the LED will not illuminate when the switch is thrown in the other 2 directions. You may need a different switch arrangement for your venue.

Incidentally, from an electrical safety perspective, switches should never be used to initiate a "ground". Switches should feed voltage to the load which in turn completes the circuit to ground.

Karl / VetteFreak
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 15, 09:01 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Derek, Maybe this will help.
http://www.learningaboutelectronics....tch-wiring.php

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 15, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

So using the switch just to complete a ground the led won't work. Uggg
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 15, 01:45 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

not in your current set up. You can find switches that the pilot light is separate or conditional on external power such as having the light be part of the instrument group so it lights anytime the headlights are on so you can find the switch in the dark. But the actual switch only effects an accessory load on it.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 15, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

Got it. The switch is only completing a circuit. The power goes through the relay. It's not the ground for the fans.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 15, 09:35 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteFreak View Post
Sounds like you have a single pole/double throw switch with an LED indicator which only illuminates in the center position. Correct? If so, that is the "off" position for either of the other 2 available circuits. Therefore, the LED will not illuminate when the switch is thrown in the other 2 directions. You may need a different switch arrangement for your venue.

Incidentally, from an electrical safety perspective, switches should never be used to initiate a "ground". Switches should feed voltage to the load which in turn completes the circuit to ground.
Arent most interior lights hot, and initiated by door switch ground?

69RS
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 15, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
DEREK

I don't get it over all. Power is flowing through the switch. Ground instead of positive. But why does the ledight come on if I pull the load wire and turns off when I plug it back in? 12 volt are still flowing through the switch.......right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode