Strange relay sound under hood. - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 15, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Strange relay sound under hood.

Ive got a 67 RS 327 with factory ac and working headlight motors. When I start my car after about 1 second I hear this "tink" sound which sounds just like the sound of my RS headlight relays when they open or close. If I have the door open with courtesy lights on I can see they are a bit dim until the tink sound then they are nice and bright and steady. Is this sound normal and what the horn relay is supposed to do? Aside from the RS relays, I have the big relay on the ac suitcase too. I have a 10si alternator and believe the external regulator is bypassed. I have not been able to narrow down which relay is making the sound. I dont have power windows and its not a convertible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 15, 03:42 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage
Re: Strange relay sound under hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff67rs View Post
Ive got a 67 RS 327 with factory ac and working headlight motors. When I start my car after about 1 second I hear this "tink" sound which sounds just like the sound of my RS headlight relays when they open or close. If I have the door open with courtesy lights on I can see they are a bit dim until the tink sound then they are nice and bright and steady. Is this sound normal and what the horn relay is supposed to do? Aside from the RS relays, I have the big relay on the ac suitcase too. I have a 10si alternator and believe the external regulator is bypassed. I have not been able to narrow down which relay is making the sound. I dont have power windows and its not a convertible.
The horn relay feeds the ignition and light switches (#12 red wire) from the key warning buzzer circuit. It could very well be your problem if it's sticking open. Can't imagine the A/C relay would affect it.

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 15, 04:38 PM
Senior Tech
Al

I don't think 67s had the key buzzer.

I was thinking it might be your AC clutch engaging

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 15, 05:00 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPOS View Post
I don't think 67s had the key buzzer.

I was thinking it might be your AC clutch engaging
The same horn relay was used for 67-71 and therefore contains the circuitry to the ignition and headlights as described in a previous post, regardless of the buzzer circuit.

Karl / VetteFreak
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 15, 06:41 PM
Senior Tech
Al

As far as headlights, ignition etc. are concerned the horn relay is simply a connection point for the dash power-up wire via a busbar. The relay itself also gets 12v+ from that busbar. The relay is activated when the horn button completes the ground side of the circuit.

The 67 horn relay was different than 68-9. It had no provision for the key minder, and therefore only 2 male spades on the bottom - one for the wire from the horn button, and one to the horns. The 68-9 relay had a third male spade, that being for the key minder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 15, 06:48 PM
Tech Team
Lars

Probably is the Charging Relay!

Black Box on Firewall beside the wipermotor.

You can get a new one that is Electronicaly controlled with Transistors, that will fix it.

LPS
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 15, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsPerformance View Post
Probably is the Charging Relay!

Black Box on Firewall beside the wipermotor.

LPS
Charging relay???

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 15, 07:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
jared

I had the same kinda sound. Unfortunately one of the headlight door limit switches had failed and the door kept trying to close which was poping the breaker or relay. Bad news was it fried the 100.00 motor before it caught it. So I've hooked up a toggle switch that powers the RS headlight doors. Flip it up to open then slip it down to kill power.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 15, 08:29 PM
Senior Tech
Nick

get some one to start the car for you and put your hand up where the relays are for your head lights, I bet you will feel the click on the circuit breaker

67 rs/ss 350 original eng,700r4, a/c, tilt, deluxe int,strato bench,Ca.emission,front disk,am/fm,floor clock,17" W/V Ralleys,Toyo T1S 255/40/17, 245/40/17
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 15, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfcamaro View Post
I had the same kinda sound. Unfortunately one of the headlight door limit switches had failed and the door kept trying to close which was poping the breaker or relay. Bad news was it fried the 100.00 motor before it caught it. So I've hooked up a toggle switch that powers the RS headlight doors. Flip it up to open then slip it down to kill power.
Just got home from work. This is what I was thinking, that a limit switch might be causing a relay to stick. Its the same sound as when I open or close the headlights. So it might be the 10 amp breaker for the headlight relays that is clicking like this? And the horn relay is only for the horn aside from being a bus location for 12v feed? As for the charging relay, which I am guessing is the regulator, as I said, its not in the system anymore as Ive got an internally regulated 10si alternator. I will have to disconnect the power to the rs relays to see if it fixes the issue. Maybe sunday.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 15, 02:25 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
And the horn relay is only for the horn aside from being a bus location for 12v feed?
The Horn Relay is an Swiss Army Knife tool of that GM era. It relays full power to the horns, and also acts as the main accessory power "Bus-bar" for the charging system, and feeds one side of the factory gauge equipped Ammeters and in later years it also acted as the "Key-minder" buzzer.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 15, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
George

Just thought of something. This sound only occurs when I start the motor, after it is running, not when the key is just put in run. If it had to do with the headlights it would happen when the key was put in run also. It seems like it has to do with the altrnator starting to charge. The regulator is "bypassed" for the 10si alt but there are still 2 wires attached to it. Maybe those wires are still activating something inside of it. I will have to unplug it completely and see if it goes away.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 15, 11:14 AM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Quote:
Just thought of something. This sound only occurs when I start the motor, after it is running, not when the key is just put in run. If it had to do with the headlights it would happen when the key was put in run also. It seems like it has to do with the altrnator starting to charge. The regulator is "bypassed" for the 10si alt but there are still 2 wires attached to it. Maybe those wires are still activating something inside of it. I will have to unplug it completely and see if it goes away.
The horn relay receives power from the battery/charge circuit via the alternator. There should be a large "red" wire connected to the horn relay from the alternator regardless of internal/external voltage regulation. I still say, it could be the problem. Forget, for the sake of discussion, what I said earlier about the "key warning buzzer" circuit in a previous post, it still operates on the same principle as the 68-69 relay minus the buzzer. Remove that wire from the relay and see what happens...

Karl / VetteFreak
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 15, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
The Horn Relay is an Swiss Army Knife tool of that GM era. It relays full power to the horns, and also acts as the main accessory power "Bus-bar" for the charging system, and feeds one side of the factory gauge equipped Ammeters and in later years it also acted as the "Key-minder" buzzer.
Not to hi-jack this thread but Brian, your post triggered my memory that since I took possession of my current 69, it has not had a functional key minder-buzzer. While it's not something very high up on my list of priorities, it is something I planned on looking into at some point. I believe the horn relay was replaced just before I got the car and my original console ammeter works fine. Might it simply be the incorrect horn relay, or could it be the wiring was installed reversed?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 15, 01:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

the day after I brought my 68 home from dealer I unplugged the buzzer. Was new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode