Compatability of the AAW classic update series? - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Stephen

Compatability of the AAW classic update series?

So I finally got to a point last night er this morning at 1:30 am that I could attach my battery and turn the key....

However when I insert the key nothing happens at all. Here is some more background:

1. The battery has a full charge.
2. All the fuses are installed.
3. The front end was rewired recently and was working perfectly so I did not rewire that I simply attached the fuse block at the firewall.
4. Under the hood there is power to things that run directly from the battery.
5. To further complicate things I also replaced my steering column with a rebuilt also.

Questions:
1. All wiring harnesses must mimic stock right (shouldn't this work)? The new one I have is American Autowire classic update series, are they in stock positions (my interior harness was original and it worked until i took it apart) or must I rewire everything under the hood (what a pain)...

2. Could my installation of the fuse block crushed some tabs not allowing contact?

3. Any thoughts/ideas?

I think that I need to unplug the fuse block and test it to see where the power goes (under the hood) and then use a jumper to light up the interior?

Any thoughts are appreciated...

1969 Camaro
LeMans Blue and white stripes
540 BBC, T56,12 Bolt, 3.42 posi
CalTracs Bars, linelock, 6AL-2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 10:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brian

Re: Compatability of the AAW classic update series?

Stephen - to get a specific answer you'll probably need to talk to AAW tech support, who I suspect aren't open until Monday. It's entirely possible that with a continuity meter you could rearrange the connector to work, but while the Classic Update harnesses do mimic a stock Chevy harness, I'm not sure what year or model they are closest to (I would suspect a late '70s car, however, given the internally regulated alternator and spade fuses). For my '67, they're very different from stock powerflow. I asked AAW the same question and this was their answer:

"For the most part, you'll find the Classic Update for your car is not designed to be installed in conjunction with any of the original factory wiring. We recommend removing all of the original factory wiring in order to install the Update. In some cases we actually change powerflow in the kits, so they are not really compatible with original engine and front light harnesses.

One exception would be if you were planning to run original AC...in that case you can use your factory air conditioning harness along with the kit to get that section up an running. You're correct in that the harness will handle the tach, radio and HEI without issue. They are also only designed to support an internally regulated alternator."

1967 RS driver with a 327/210... but now with an M20, HEI, AAW harness w/ halogens and relays, Dakota Digital, Moto-Lita, TMI interior, and a few other toys
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 11:21 AM
John

Garage

AAW Classic Update is designed to work with single wire internally regulated alternator. It also does not use the horn relay buss to power the car.

I suspect this is where your problem is.

If you still have the OEM relay and 3 wire external alt you will/can make some minor modification to make it work. #1 is you need to get 12v constant to the horn relay buss. This should be connected with a fuse-able link.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Stephen

thanks Brian P.

Using your advice I decided to rewire under the hood. I noticed that the original harness and the AAW are different. I will keep you posted on the progress.

I am running a 1 wire Alternator and no AC.

1969 Camaro
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
AAW Classic Update is designed to work with single wire internally regulated alternator. It also does not use the horn relay buss to power the car.

I suspect this is where your problem is.

If you still have the OEM relay and 3 wire external alt you will/can make some minor modification to make it work. #1 is you need to get 12v constant to the horn relay buss. This should be connected with a fuse-able link.
Thanks Vega$69

I am rewiring the entire engine harness now I will keep you posted...

the AAW harness is completely diferent than the stock mainly because it brings power to the fuse block by a fusible link off of the starter.

1969 Camaro
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 25th, 15, 06:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ron

Good luck!
I am about to pull the plug and get the Classic Update as well for my 1967.

So, this is a great read!

Ron

Camaros I've owned/own:
1982 Camaro (Sold)
1984 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1986 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1989 Camaro IROC Z (Sold)
1994 Camaro Z28 (Sold)
1967 Camaro 406 SBC/200R4 (Rebuilding)
2010 Camaro RS/SS (Daily Driver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
aaw, american autowire, fuse block, interior wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode