Gas gauge out by 1/4 tank - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Gas gauge out by 1/4 tank

I'm have a problem with my '69 gas gauge, I read the sticky and did the tests at the harness in the trunk.

When the harness is unplugged the gauge reads way past full, when the harness is grounded to the trunk latch it reads right at empty but not past it.

I get 49 ohms on my voltage meter which should be between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank but the gauge reads halfway between 1/4 and 1/2 full.

When I fill up the car at the gas station to the point where gas pours out onto the ground the gauge only reads 3/4 full.

I have console gauges, I haven't removed the gauges to check the ohms at the fuel gauge but since it seems to be under reporting I assume the resistor is working and the gauge must be the problem.

Any advice would be great,

Thanks

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 03:17 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Gas gauge out by 1/4 tank

Jeff what are the Ohm's at the back of the gauge? 45 is rough half a tank, 90 is full zero empty.

If the gauge is the right hand instrument pod they can be manually adjusted at the pointer, if console or center pod gauge you have to look at the resistor card on the rear of the gauge.

The resistance card if original is just a thin wire wound around a card and can break changing the results of the gauge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

I have console gauges, I'll have to look into how to remove the gauges and check it.

Thanks

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 04:54 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Just pop the cover of the pod by removing the two front screws and lifting the front edge up. Then run your meter on the brown wire and post. If it is an aftermarket pod by OER or a recent one from CHQ you will not see a rear resistance card or ceramic module. CHQ converted to internal resistors in the past couple years. You can still buy the ceramic modules or craft one with parts from Radio Shack if you find yours damaged or missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-Pace View Post
Just pop the cover of the pod by removing the two front screws and lifting the front edge up. Then run your meter on the brown wire and post. If it is an aftermarket pod by OER or a recent one from CHQ you will not see a rear resistance card or ceramic module. CHQ converted to internal resistors in the past couple years. You can still buy the ceramic modules or craft one with parts from Radio Shack if you find yours damaged or missing.

Hey Brian,

I have original guages, with the wire wrapped around a plate for resistance. I took all the screws out of the console so I could lift the top piece up a bit. I can't get it lifted more then a few inches on the side without it hitting the bottom of the dash or the shift arm.

I see 3 posts, one with a red wire, one black and one brown. I put my meter on the brown post and on the black, I assume the black is a ground but it won't give me a reading.

Is the black a ground? I tried getting ground from the dome light trigger on the door or the screw that holds down the kick plate at the base of the door but I still can't get a reading.

The gas gauge is still working and the trunk harness reads 55 ohms but I can't get it to read from the back of the gauge.

Thanks
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

I got annoyed with looking for a ground so I just put a jumper cable on the negative side of the battery and clipped the other end to my ground on the voltage meter. The only pole that gives me a reading is the black post, it reads about 29 ohms.

The red post and brown post don't give me a reading on the voltage meter.

Thanks
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 08:24 PM
Senior Tech
Al

"Gas gauge out by 1/4 tank" - I was going to say you got one of the good ones!

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 08:41 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifter View Post
I got annoyed with looking for a ground so I just put a jumper cable on the negative side of the battery and clipped the other end to my ground on the voltage meter. The only pole that gives me a reading is the black post, it reads about 29 ohms.

The red post and brown post don't give me a reading on the voltage meter.

Thanks
You are only interested in the Ohms on the brown sender wire. The black is a ground to the console plate. Maybe you disconnected that? Red is power.

You only need to remove the two screws on the top of the pod. The cover is sort of hinged but will lift off up and forward exposing the green gauge pod.

Was your reading of 29 before the resistance card?

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
You are only interested in the Ohms on the brown sender wire. The black is a ground to the console plate. Maybe you disconnected that? Red is power.

You only need to remove the two screws on the top of the pod. The cover is sort of hinged but will lift off up and forward exposing the green gauge pod.

Was your reading of 29 before the resistance card?
The 29 ohms was off the ground post, I get no reading off the brown post, i also tried reading off the harness infront of the gauge pod but got no reading there either.

The odd thing is the gas gauge is working, if there was no resistance at the back of the gauge it would be pegged past full.

I did remove the gauge cover earlier, but was nervousness about removing the gauge from the top incase there wasn't any slack in the wiring. I'll screw the console back together and remove the fuel gauge from the top and see if i can get a reading.

Thanks
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 15, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

I took the gauge out from the top, I can't get any ohms reading off the brown wire. The red wire reads 12v.

I have my meter set at 200 ohms and the sending wire in the trunk reads 55 ohms but I get no reading at the gauge.

But if there is no reading for the brown wire at the gauge, why does the gauge still work, the absence of a reading should put the gauge past full.

Thanks
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 04:15 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

You are not getting a good reading at the gauge. You should be reading Ohm's through the brown wire connection to the gauge post. It should ballpark the same as the trunk minus a small percentage for the trip from the trunk.

If you are getting that reading then you check the Ohms of the the resistor card. Carefully test end to end without going through the posts. Inspect the original windings for any corrosion or breakage. Post your readings for the card alone. These two tests will determine if the gauge is good or bad and the resistor card is good or bad.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

I have been trying to get a reading from the brown wire with the wire still attached to the gauge. Should I have removed the brown wire from the gauge to get a ohms reading?

Thanks for you help Brian..!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 07:21 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Yes you want the Ohms from the wire not the gauge.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Quote:
Yes you want the Ohms from the wire not the gauge.
I get 56.8 ohms at the sending unit and 56.6 at the gauge cluster off the brown wire.

How do I test the resistance card?

Thanks
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 03:46 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Sounds like either the gauge and or the resistor.

To test the card: Remove it then one probe at one end and the other on the other side.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode