replacing 67 rssss gauge lites - Team Camaro Tech
Electrical & Wiring Troubleshooting electrical.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
frank

replacing 67 rssss gauge lites

I am looking to improve my interior lighting and hope someone can help. At night, the lights aren't that bright. I want to replace the lights on the rear of my speedo tach cluster (I think there are two diff types?), and the lights on my factory floor console. has anyone done this and can help with what they used.
As well, on a diff note, I have searched about replacing my front headlights with halogens. Some say you need relays, some say you don't, I am leaning towards getting the relay wiring. Question I have has anyone used relay wiring. I read that is not the same install as for a 68/69 cause the 67 year is has the electric doors and there is a grounding issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 05:51 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brian

Re: replacing 67 rssss gauge lites

First gens are sort of notorious for dim lights; per a forum search a bunch of people have found that bad grounds are to blame. Might be worth adding a ground wire to your cluster with star washers and such. Here is a good link for how to troubleshoot and fix dash lights: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...ht=Dash+Lights As far as brighter bulb #'s, not sure - maybe someone else can help. Re the halogens, you don't NEED relays - but there are two good reasons to add them. First, you will not get bright lights without good voltage to them, and drawing power directly from a distribution point will yield higher voltage at the filaments. Second, that is a lot of amperage to run through yards of very old wiring under your dash. Relays will take the load off so you have only tiny amperage under dash and the higher amperage is confined to short runs of new wire by your radiator support.

As far as how to install relays with the '67, it IS a bit different. Here is a link to a sticky from the electrical forum where I put in step by step directions on how to upgrade the '67 relay board: https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=312417

1967 RS driver with a 327/210... but now with an M20, HEI, AAW harness w/ halogens and relays, Dakota Digital, Moto-Lita, TMI interior, and a few other toys
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
frank

Wow, what a read and great info on the troubleshooting and fixing dash lights. This sounds very doable and a good start, if for nothing else, its a good idea since everything is still as original and prob needs a good clean. I have read that you dont "need" the relays. i read Dennis comments and he had good luck going with out. I will first go without and take readings to see if all aok. Thanks for the reply Brian

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old May 4th, 15, 09:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brian

No worries; I've found plenty of help on this forum and glad to return the favor once in a while! I would say, even if you add the halogens without relays I'd think seriously about upgrading to relays when you've got the time for the project. Even if you're fine with the brightness without, cutting down your under-dash amperage isn't such a bad thing from a safety perspective. Granted, I also drive with a fire extinguisher so it's entirely possible that I'm the crazy one!

1967 RS driver with a 327/210... but now with an M20, HEI, AAW harness w/ halogens and relays, Dakota Digital, Moto-Lita, TMI interior, and a few other toys
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 5th, 15, 05:47 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

For your interior dash and console lights, use LED bulbs. I went through my entire electrical system and made sure I had good grounds and my interior lights still weren't bright enough for me. I replaced them with LED bulbs and they doubled in brightness. Since the gauges have a green tint to them I replaced them with green LEDs. I tried white bulbs and green and liked the green better, but that's personal preference.

Brian

'67 SS/RS 350, Muncie M20, Black with black interior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 5th, 15, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
frank

haha, not all, I also have a fire extinguisher, where's Nurse Kravitz!
Brianb17, i plan on going through mine and I also think its only prudent to change while its out. Do you know what led's you used and part number?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 14th, 15, 10:26 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

I ordered BA9s LED Bulb - 5 LED Tower - Part Number: BA9S-GHP5 from superbrightleds.com for my console gauges and the heater lens. The Speedo and Tach were replaced with a 194 LED bulb I bought at a swap meet.

Brian

'67 SS/RS 350, Muncie M20, Black with black interior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode